Poll: Who here that has graduated high-school (or equivalent) still lives with their parents?

MrBenSampson

Oct 8, 2011
20 years old, and living at home. So what if my room is in the basement?

I'm working, saving money, and I've submitted an application to the military.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
BreakfastMan said:
For me... Yes, I still live with my parents. I am within driving distance of where I am going to college, I am unemployed, and the cost of rent everywhere else is really high, so... I am going to hang out with them till I get my degree. Hurrah for being a shameless freeloader! :D
Yup Im in the same situation as yourself.

Just waiting to get my degree and a job in my career so I can move out.

CarlsonAndPeeters

Mar 18, 2009
Well, I'm at college, so I live in a dorm. Post-college I'm hoping to live elsewhere. But over summer and breaks I stay with my family. So not sure how to really answer this, but I said "no."

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
I am at the minute. I moved away about a year and half ago with my boyfriend but moved back recently for several reasons. (abusive neighbours, no friends, no family, shitty house mate etc).
We're looking for a place in Jan/Feb time as we both have a job now. I liked living away from home, the freedom was nice. I like living with mum too because she still cooks for me and I get to see family.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
well yes and no, kinda
still not entirely "moved out of the nest" yet, but still working on the college part

Sun Flash

Fus Roh Dizzle
Apr 15, 2009
I go to university in Edinburgh (2nd Year) and the apartments there are expensive as hell, plus I don't have formal employment, but I can get the bus in, so s'all good. As soon as I get a stable job I'm going to look into moving out, though, hopefully with some friends. I'm 19 though, so I've got time.

And anyway, we don't even have a basement, so nyeh.

GoodEyeSniper

Sep 9, 2008
University was too far away to bother staying at home, but even if it wasn't I'd still have insisted to move out.

Rol3x

Jan 24, 2008
Yes, but being disabled I dont have much of a choice its likely I will be living with my parents for years to come at bare minimum.

Cavan

Jan 17, 2011
Captain_Fantastic said:
yeah im 19 and i live in a small industry town the i just graduated and have no real reason to go to college yet as i have no real direction in life and the only colleges around being a few hundred km away in cities and whatnot

i could easily get a job in town that pays around $22 per hour with my background and family connections but i really dont want to really root myself here as i would love to leave this town(the social aspects of this place are shit)

the only thing keeping my is "where would i go and what would i do when i get there"
college being the only reasonable option but then comes the "why would i go to college" arguement
Surely it would make sense to take the job while it's offered and build up some savings and experience to make it far easier to find a job farther away when the time comes?

Even if it was only for a year or two that will give you much more of a head start that most other people get.

Tomster595

Aug 1, 2009
I graduated in June '11, and I go to college now. I live at my university for most of the year, but I still live with me parents on breaks and stuff like that, so I don't really know where I fall.

Verzin

Jan 23, 2012
I am twenty, graduated in 2011, I smell bad, I am Extremely nerdy, and I live in my parents basement.
whooooo for stereotypes!

antidonkey

Dec 10, 2009
I moved back in with my mother when she was diagnosed with cancer(age 20). After that, my father moved to California and given everything that had happened, I went with him. I ran up a ton of credit card debt so I lived with him for a quite a while to pay it off(age 20-26). Once paid off, I moved back to Texas. I always got along with my folks and we never interfered too much with each other. So long as I helped out around the place, I could stay rent free. It worked out well for everyone involved.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Yes, I'm 20 and unfortunately still live with my parents.

Not much I can do about it really. I'm unemployed at the moment (minus a volunteer job I'm working at to gain work experience), and I need money in order to find a place of my own and to take care of myself. Plus the dorms next to my college, which is within driving distance, are said to have a pretty high crime rate, so my parents won't let me live over there.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
22, finished college in July. Since then I have been living at home and have been working in an internship (possibly becoming a fulltime position) since late-September. Saving up money for a new car first as I am in no rush to move out just yet. My parents like having me around (I have a 5 year-old brother) and I may just wait for my girl friend to finish grad school so we can move in together.

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
When I was in college, the local university was like 15 minutes away so it only made sense to stay. Now that i'm pretty much done, i've already moved out. I'll tell you what though, just do it and don't try to discuss it with your parents. If you have a clingy parent like my mother, leaving is a huge freaking chore and you'll just get told how much of an asshole you are for leaving her.

That's just me though

Chemical Alia

Feb 1, 2011
After I got out of the army, I went to college for a good number of years. Some of that time I lived near campus, and some of that time I commuted from home. It was an hour each way from my home to Kutztown, but it was still cheaper for me to live with my parents than to rent an apartment out there.

I live in Texas now, so I'm pretty far from my family. Which sucks, because we're very close. I came down here for grad school and have been here since.