Poll: Who IS buying the Xbox One?

Archer666

May 27, 2011
Not being too hot for console games at all, I wasn't really planning on getting the Bone. After seeing the E3 and hearing about these restrictions and best of all, being 100 euros more expensive than the PS4 while having inferior tech, the choice is pretty clear to me.

That and they haven't done anything to get me excited. In fact, it looks like the European is somewhat of an afterthought to MS just like the Asian one.

sanquin

Jun 8, 2011
I personally see people that still buy the Xb-one for one of these reasons as weak-willed:
-For the exclusives. I mean is that new game or sequel game so shiny that you are willing to give up your rights and privacy for it?
-For being able to get all games digitally. Really? You're that lazy?
-For being a fan of the xbox. No explanation needed...
-For the TV functionality. You know...there is such a thing as a TV which does the job better...

Not that I will condemn anyone buying the Xb-one. But I will think less of their ability to make reasonable/logical decisions.

blizzaradragon

Mar 15, 2010
9thRequiem said:
mohit9206 said:
9thRequiem said:
I am. At least 1, possibly 2.
From the UK.

And yes, I do have very good reasons for picking this over the PS4. It's not just blind loyalty - it's legitimately the better choice for me.
How is it a better choice unless you are really into TV stuff. For TV xbox is better but for gaming PS4 is better.
1 - You don't need the disc to play games. This means that a) I can be lazy (Woo!), and b) I can store my games elsewhere (Space in that room is a premium)
2 -
Xbox One will enable new forms of access for families. Up to ten members of your family can log in and play from your shared games library on any Xbox One. Just like today, a family member can play your copy of Forza Motorsport at a friend?s house. Only now, they will see not just Forza, but all of your shared games. You can always play your games, and any one of your family members can be playing from your shared library at a given time.
This. I'll no longer need two copies of games in order for the two of us to play at once. Plus, hopefully they may not look too closely at who is actually your Family, so I can add friends to the list and play their games.
You might want to check out this article then, it clarifies the family sharing straight from Yusuf Mehdi of Microsoft. Of note are two things: 1 is that there are no requirements for who is your family, so it could be dad down the street or buddy Frank on the other side of the US. 2 is that only one person can be playing the shared copy of the game at a time, so unless you playing it doesn't count as the one person then it looks like you'll still need two copies.

Link: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/06/microsoft-defends-the-xbox-ones-licensing-used-game-policies/

OT: I will definitely not be getting an Xbox One. Nintendo and Sony have my support this generation, and it'll take Microsoft some heavy backpedaling(which so far interviews are showing they have no intention of doing) to get them to earn my dollar. Also as for your survey, I can almost guarantee you'll see no "yes" votes from Asia unless someone here from that area isn't following gaming news at all, so be prepared for a lot of North America and Europe answers.

RomanceIsDead

Aug 19, 2011
Gears of War is my favorite console series of all time and that one game singlehandedly took up about 95% of the 10000s of hours I spent on the xbox even though I had a library of 20 some 360 games.

Once the next Gears of War launches on One I may consider the purchase.

Able Seacat

Jun 18, 2012
blizzaradragon said:
9thRequiem said:
You might want to check out this article then, it clarifies the family sharing straight from Yusuf Mehdi of Microsoft. Of note are two things: 1 is that there are no requirements for who is your family, so it could be dad down the street or buddy Frank on the other side of the US. 2 is that only one person can be playing the shared copy of the game at a time, so unless you playing it doesn't count as the one person then it looks like you'll still need two copies.

Link: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/06/microsoft-defends-the-xbox-ones-licensing-used-game-policies/
That's quite interesting. Does that also mean you'll be able to share downloaded titles?

OT: I will not be buying an Xbox One as it currently stands because I don't want to support the restrictions it implements.

9thRequiem

Sep 21, 2010
blizzaradragon said:
9thRequiem said:
mohit9206 said:
9thRequiem said:
From the UK.

And yes, I do have very good reasons for picking this over the PS4. It's not just blind loyalty - it's legitimately the better choice for me.
How is it a better choice unless you are really into TV stuff. For TV xbox is better but for gaming PS4 is better.
1 - You don't need the disc to play games. This means that a) I can be lazy (Woo!), and b) I can store my games elsewhere (Space in that room is a premium)
2 -
Xbox One will enable new forms of access for families. Up to ten members of your family can log in and play from your shared games library on any Xbox One. Just like today, a family member can play your copy of Forza Motorsport at a friend?s house. Only now, they will see not just Forza, but all of your shared games. You can always play your games, and any one of your family members can be playing from your shared library at a given time.
This. I'll no longer need two copies of games in order for the two of us to play at once. Plus, hopefully they may not look too closely at who is actually your Family, so I can add friends to the list and play their games.

OT: I will definitely not be getting an Xbox One. Nintendo and Sony have my support this generation, and it'll take Microsoft some heavy backpedaling(which so far interviews are showing they have no intention of doing) to get them to earn my dollar. Also as for your survey, I can almost guarantee you'll see no "yes" votes from Asia unless someone here from that area isn't following gaming news at all, so be prepared for a lot of North America and Europe answers.
Thanks for the link :)

Firstly, being able to add friends will be amazing. Playing from a friend's library without having to actually wait and request it will be a massive boon. I'm not sure why this aspect hasn't been more widely talked about by them - it seems a lot of people are against the Xbox One because they love lending games to friends and think they won't be able to anymore.

Secondly, from that link I read it as anyone can be playing the shared copy, so it wouldn't count you (http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/license seems to indicate that "You can always play your games"). I'm sure it'll be further clarified closer to release though.

bak00777

Oct 3, 2009
my little brother is, but im getting a PS4. So if i want to play Halo 5 or other exclusives, I will have to go to his place.

Ironside

Mar 5, 2012
9thRequiem said:
Well if Sony clarifies whether or not new games will be immediately available on the PSN store at release the PS4 may very well also share that advantage. Of course they haven't said anything about that yet, so at the moment the Xbone probably is the best choice for you.

HippySteve

Oct 4, 2012
9thRequiem said:
From the UK.

Just for the record, the television capabilities are currently USA exclusive.

OT: I want to get the Xbone, for some odd reason that I can't explain, but I don't think I will. I just couldn't make myself, not with the option of the PS4.

TrulyBritish

Jan 23, 2013
9thRequiem said:
tippy2k2 said:
9thRequiem said:
From the UK.

As a fan of sport games, Modern Military Shooters, The Mass Effect 3 ending, and a defender of "Project Ten dollar", I just want to say good luck. Ze Escapist, she can be a cruel mistress if you disagree with the mass opinion...

I may hate the Xbox One with about every fiber of my being but as someone who is on the defense a lot for their views, be prepared for the constant cheap shots and ridicule. If it helps, I have decided that I'm going to stop calling the Xbox One the "Xbone" since I'm aware of how annoying it gets to hear "Sport gamers are dumb; it's the same game every year derp a derp!" and "Spunglegargleweewee LOLOLOLOL" bullshit :)
I can't speak for anyone else who likes the system (But from the poll, there aren't any, so ... ), but I'm fine with it being known as "Xbone", considering I've seen it called the "Satan-box" by someone who seemed to be using the term seriously...
Good luck sir, in weathering the storm of hate around the console. While I hate the console with a passion, and certainly think you shouldn't buy it on released date (unless, you know, they listen to the customers and patch out some of the more stupid stuff), I respect your commitment to going with what you want from a console, and defending it in its time of need. *cue Dark Night theme*

DTH1337

Feb 27, 2012
No, just no.

I will not support a console that has so many restrictions on it and has to authenticate with the internet every 24 hours or else you can't play games (you know, the reason you buy a console) because Microsoft and other companies that do this simply have no faith or belief in you that you are someone who supports the industry, and even if you are, they'll still treat you like a criminal.

Seeing as Sony isn't doing this sort of stuff, I am clearly going with the PS4, and even the Wii U since Nintendo isn't doing this either. Sure, you need to have PS+ to play online PS4 games, but even with that, the PS+ service is much better value than anything that X-Box Live Gold puts out there.

For those that think these restrictions and DRM practices are good and is the true future for the industry, well have fun in your little bubble because when the worst happens and you suffer with these practices, then I and the majority of gamers won't feel sorry for you when you cry and moan about being burned by Microsoft (because you bought the damn thing in the first place with full knowledge).

prowll

Aug 19, 2008
Most of the 360 exclusives did not interest me, and I always found the ps3 to be superior tech/picture wise. (yes, I have both.) Also, most of my gaming is solo (I work odd hours), and I don't watch much TV (Cable tv has been cancelled for a year...) Not seeing the allure of the xbone. Sorry.
Capcha: Check your work. (NO, I'm leaving that typo as I intend!)

BlackMageBob

Nov 28, 2009
I like the new way of sharing games. My brother and I are both grown, and most of my other friends are scattered around the world. The ten copies, 30-days on the friends list is way more permissive for me than the limitations of a single disc. The smartglass interactions, and the windows interaction in general is a nice feature for me seeing as I already own a razer edge, and a custom PC.

Does anyone else remeber the old previews and videos of the Microsoft Labs integrated house? This is a step down that road, and I like it.

US.

*addendum*
FFXV and KHIII will be multi-plat. I'm sold now.

SaetonChapelle

May 11, 2010
Personally? At the current moment as it stands I will not be purchasing the new xbox. I have no care about the connect "watching me" (what do I possibly do that could warrant me being paranoid?), however the inability to freely share my games as I choose to without going through a process and the need to check in" on Xbox all the time just doesn't seem to be worth it at the moment. Plus, it's more expensive, and being a poor college student living on my own, I can only really afford to purchase one system for the season. I'm much more excited for the ps4 release games anyhow.

This could change in the future. Although I have always geared more towards my ps3, I do own an xbox and have enjoyed it. I dont know what will happen~

Also, United States

blizzaradragon

Mar 15, 2010
Able Seacat said:
blizzaradragon said:
9thRequiem said:

That's quite interesting. Does that also mean you'll be able to share downloaded titles?
From what I'm seeing, since downloaded games and retail games both go into your library, that would be a yes since your "family" can play games that are in the library of your account. Unless I'm missing something of course.

9thRequiem said:
Thanks for the link :)

Firstly, being able to add friends will be amazing. Playing from a friend's library without having to actually wait and request it will be a massive boon. I'm not sure why this aspect hasn't been more widely talked about by them - it seems a lot of people are against the Xbox One because they love lending games to friends and think they won't be able to anymore.

Secondly, from that link I read it as anyone can be playing the shared copy, so it wouldn't count you (http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/license seems to indicate that "You can always play your games"). I'm sure it'll be further clarified closer to release though.
You're very welcome. While I may wear my allegiance on my sleeve, I'm always willing to put knowledge first regardless of who I'm supporting with it.

I'm surprised they aren't showcasing the library thing more. While it still does limit the amount of sharing to 10 people, it does make it easier to share with those around the world. So for those that know people all over it seems like a god-send, but I suppose people who are in more local communities won't see it as such. A good example is when I was in high school we had a gaming club, and one of the major things that happened is people would swap their games with each other all the time. I'm sure if this was announced during my high school years, the club would be up in arms over it.

Their wording on the sharing is incredibly vague though, as while it says you can always play your games this could mean either you can play along with your "family" member or it could instead mean that you just get priority to the game should someone who you share with be playing. It could also just mean the wider label of your library, with that one specific game being unavailable as someone else is using it. It needs clarification. While this may be part bias, I know it is also part helpful consumer to suggest waiting for more word on this from Microsoft before toting it as a feature the way you were. Just my two cents anyway, you can take it however you wish :)

baconmaster

Apr 15, 2008
The justifications I've seen here for buying the system are... actually pretty good. It's not a system for me, though. From what I understand, shared copies are streamed, so it's not viable for most people. I know the Ps4 does streaming as well, but that's for previous generation games (I'm keeping my Ps3 anyway) and for playing while you download (which is a damn awesome idea and only needed for a little while before you're playing on the system.)

Also this talk about "cloud processing" sounds like bad news to me, unless it's entirely optional to improve performance. I don't want to need a great internet connection to play a game I bought on a disc. That's worse than always-online DRM

Tarcolt

Oct 13, 2010
Dark Knifer said:
Oniontears said:
Oniontears said:
I shudder to think what the Aussie cost is gonna be like :(
It's going to be $600 Australian PS4 about $550

Xbox is confirmed from retailers and microsoft and sony confirmed their price.

OT: No, I'm not getting an xbone.
And this is why I wont be buying either of them, this as well as costs for games, internet etc, Its just not fucking worth it. I thought the US price was high and now... this^. I don't know what reasons the "satan-box"(thankyou 9thRequiem) is going to give people to buy it but unless it prints money, has boobs or does my laundry, Not. Gonna. Happen. Savvy?

chiefohara

Sep 4, 2009
I was... until they unveiled it.

I was open minded to see what was out at E3, wasn't impressed.

Don Mattick making asinine statements didn't help either.

I've never bought a console on launch before, but Sony's presentation nearly made me do that. Thankfully i supressed the impulse buyer in me.

DTH1337

Feb 27, 2012
It doesn't matter is the console has good games, at least not anymore.

Just because the X-Box One has some good games, it's all for nothing because of their stupid DRM, used games policies and other restrictions they have placed on the console.

In other words, Microsoft are not forgiven at all.