Poll: Who is in the right here?

CorvusFerreum

Jun 13, 2011
Banning him from the forum... ok
Banning him from BF3......... maybe a a bit harsh (he payed, the problem was a forum post and nothing he did in the game)
Banning him from X-Box-Live and all that other stuff.... completely of it's tits. Seriously, he perhaps lost hundreds of bucks because of stuff that had nothing to do with his behaviour in these games.
This may be legal, but it's exactly why people play pirated games on pirate servers.

seraphy

Jan 2, 2011
Ea should be able to ban him from forums, nothing else. In extreme cases ban him from multiplayer perhaps. But single player, never.

If he has bought games from ea, ea should have no right to deny him playing them. Unless they are intending to refund him perhaps.

CorvusFerreum

Jun 13, 2011
Satsuki666 said:
CorvusFerreum said:
Banning him from the forum... ok
Banning him from BF3......... maybe a a bit harsh (he payed, the problem was a forum post and nothing he did in the game)
Banning him from X-Box-Live and all that other stuff.... completely of it's tits. Seriously, he perhaps lost hundreds of bucks because of stuff that had nothing to do with his behaviour in these games.
This may be legal, but it's exactly why people play pirated games on pirate servers.
He wasnt banned from xbox live. He was banned from EAs servers which means any EA game registered to that account cant be played online. He can still play all of his games offline and he can still play anything that is not an EA game online on xbox live.
sorry, missed that part.
Still: He payed for every game he can't play online now. And with paying he payed for the complete game, including online. Not letting him do this, not because he cheated or acted like a dick in the games, but because he acted like a dick in a forum is a step to far.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
Jitters Caffeine said:
distortedreality said:
That's ridiculous.

Forums =/= Purchased product.
What it kind of turned into was whether or not purchasing the game means you OWN that "slot" on the servers your game takes up or you're purchasing the right to USE the servers. Most people who defended EA said he should have read the ToU before agreeing to them. People who defended the customer basically said EA are totalitarian tyrants who want to have a vicegrip on their products. Although they latter sounds extreme, you DO have to feel bad for the guy for paying full price for a game he can no longer play because of a tertiary aspect.
No I don't, he shouldn't have been harassing people. He got what he deserved. In fact, he got off easy, cuz he can always go sell his games and get probably half his money back.

Spitfire

Dec 27, 2008
EA have essentially deprived someone of a game that they purchased, for behavior committed outside of the game. I don't know the legality of this, but ethically speaking, EA are wrong, and this is a terrible business practice for them.

WaruTaru

Jul 5, 2011
Isn't this something like having an unruly customer pissing off other customers in a bar and having the owner/employee kicking the unruly customer from the establishment? Its in the interest of the business to remove such customers, no?

Edit: On a funnier note, this [http://www.indiewire.com/article/alamo_drafthouse_kicks_out_customer_for_texting_creates_an_excellent_new_ps].

kebab4you

Jan 3, 2010
Shit on the forum =/= shit in game, if he was harassing people ingame I could see a reason to ban him so he can't play bf3 online. However given my scenario they should still not ban him from the online part of ALL their game.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
It may be in the ToU, but it's a bit stupid.

I also don't know the context of the harassment claims. I know what he said, but not why. I'm also not sure two offenses is worth a ban across all services.

Who's in the right? Nobody.

The problem is, this probably wouldn't hold up to a legal challenge, but nobody's going to do anything.

Meanwhile, the people complaining about EA will likely prop it up themselves by continuing to support EA.

RollForInitiative

Mar 10, 2009
He should have been banned from the forums, not from being able to play the games, especially games wholly unrelated to the source of the issue.

MurderousToaster

Aug 9, 2008
The dickhead was participating in what was, probably, a retarded fanboy flamewar on the internet between CoD fanboys who are, ostensibly, the lowest common denominator and Battlefield fanboys who are, ostensibly, the second-lowest common denominator who have managed to convince themselves that they are the hyper-intelligent shooter master race. Anyone who will condescend to participate in such a flailing moron-fight deserves the inability to play the precious game he was probably spewing obscenities and slurs to defend.

Seriously, go EA. Ban all of the people who spend the best part of their time being morons on the internet and arguing with other morons from your games and you have my unending respect. Before anyone goes right ahead and argues that I'm generalising, I would like to argue that I have seen far, far too many arguments of this sort on the internet to believe that he was banned for educated discourse of the shooter genre.

Daverson

Nov 17, 2009
Even if he is a bit of a dick, the customer's right in this case. Now, I'm not a lawyer, but I'm pretty sure something like this violates the trade descriptions act (or whatever the US equivalent of this law is - you folks do have an equivalent of it, right?)

Savagezion

Mar 28, 2010
The_ModeRazor said:
It's completely legal!(isn't that what Nic Cage said in Lord of War? okay, so maybe he was lying a bi there. still...)
Nope, it is not fair. But that doesn't mean they aren't allowed to do it.
This. The consumer is in the right justifiably but EA is in the right technically. This is some shit I would do if I ran EA though. People need to quit being douchebags. If I caught you being a douchebag in my community, I would make things as hard on you as I could and show you how much of a douchebag I can be. (I would give you your games back in a few days) What we are seeing is one douchebag getting mad at another douchebag for being a douchebag. It doesn't matter who's side you take. Both sides are douchebags.

It doesn't take a genius to learn not to be a dumbass and make an EA account. Even if you must make an EA account, don't post there. There are plenty other gaming forums to post to that can't take away your games. Why post on the one with a history of it?

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
The customer.

He should have gotten a forum ban. That's it.

Blanket bans are wrong and buttfuck the consumer far too much.

Gluzzbung

Nov 28, 2009
In many ways, It's well within EA's rights to do this but I don't think they rea;;y want to. They stand to lose a lot of customer support from this and unless they rectify the situation quickly, I don't think many people will see them the same.

Urgol

Feb 5, 2009
While I do not think EAs actions are justifiable I just can't care about another troll asshole getting punished because he couldn't be bothered to not harass a fellow gamer.

I'm totally ok with this.