Poll: Who moshes?

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Fucking love it, the rush is incredible, the more violent the better (within reason obviously) although if you're not down the front you probabally dont want to mosh, so people really shouldnt just randomly punch each other unless there is actually a pit going.

Wakikifudge said:
I didn't know what moshing was when I game to this thread. I read comments about what it is and all I can say is: WHY WOULD ANYONE DO THIS?
I do not understand why people would want flail about, hurting themselves.
It's not really that bad, you just sort of shove each other about, and occasionally get hit by a stray hand, if you fall over you're guarenteed people will pick you up, it's part of the unwritten mosh etiqutte :p You do sometimes get hurt but only a light bruise or something, but you dont feel it for a good few hours after the gig, due to the amount of adrenaline, I'm a massive wuss and I've occasionally been punched by big fuck off bikers in mosh pits, and it really doesnt hurt because there's so much adrenaline. Battle scars, that's what I like to call em, but yeah it's not everyone and unless it's a girl I know likes em, I dont invite girls to gigs, as I'd just spend the entire night worrying she might get a broken nose or something.

Metal Brother said:
I will occasionally mosh (it depends on the band playing) but usually I'll get up into the front row against the security barrier and just enjoy the show.

When I saw Slayer this summer, I moshed. ;-)
Sonisphere Knebworth any chance? Rammstein where by fav performance but Tension during the build up to Raining Blood was so thick you could cut it with a knife.

Voodoo_Person

Dec 11, 2009
Normally I'll spend the majority of a gig at the barrier at the front, and usually head into the pit during the encore. The only time I've declined to go into the pit is when you get the annoying 'Hardcore Dancers' who literally just throw punches in any directions, its fucking stupid, however I did once witness one of em get taken out by three people, I loled. I understand why a lot of people are questioning the point of moshing, but for some people (myself included) moshing and the adrenaline rush that comes with it just completes the show, walls of death and Slipknots zero bullshit (youtube a live video of the song Spit It Out) make it even better.

ethaninja

Oct 14, 2009
I'll mosh. Especially to bands that rock out hard. Like, when I saw Alter Bridge. Or Slash. Unfortunately, when I went to see Metallica, we were seated =( But I did get to chill. And thankfully I didn't mosh at that one, the entire floor was one big fight circle.

ethaninja

Oct 14, 2009
ginger_vitus said:
"Mosh" is a pretty big blanket term. I mean, I would say I mosh, but not the variety of Moshing where it's all about hurting/getting hurt, i.e. directly running up to people and hitting them (this happened to me at a Coheed and Cambria show: big Rake Yohn-looking guy cracked me over the head with a fist that felt like Thor driving railroad spikes) or wearing football cleats/spurs, or going barefoot/shirtless/pantsless (the Henry Rollins model) to the point and purpose of getting more hurt. I'm just there to run in circles, pogo, skank, windmill, and pump my fist like a moron. Do I get hurt, even at relatively tame shows? Absolutely. A few weeks ago I went to see the Gaslight Anthem and after about 15 seconds in the pit, accidentally got headbutted by some big dude in a Flyers jersey. I saw stars, but he helped me back up and we went back to the music. But the point is moshers aren't ignoring the music in favor of beating each other up (at least not all of them), they're interacting with the music on a very visceral physical level. I would figure gamers would embrace the idea of making a generally passive media more interactive.
Yeah I dislike that type of moshing. And unfortunately it's at every single concert I've been too. Hard to enjoy the music when your busy trying to not get knocked out.

fullbleed

Apr 30, 2008
No, but I always try and get to the very front so I'm never really near the mosh pit. I'm happy to dance and jump around and it's fun to grab random people hand and start waving them, but if your in a mosh you forget the music and you aren't paying attention to whats on stage which defeats the point.

Plus I wear glasses so I'd be fucked.

Cory Rydell

Feb 4, 2010
I usually try to get in a little moshing but I find it helps to be in "moshing mode", things seem to hurt less. Did you perchance see them recently with Attack Attack and Pierce the Veil? Cause I was at the Seattle show for that tour and it was pretty sweet. But its best to get it in from time to time but I agree its nice to just hear and see bands live sometimes.

garfoldsomeoneelse

Charming, But Stupid
Mar 22, 2009
Yes, and I treat it like I'm a lone riot cop in a crowd of unruly protesters. People around me tend to get thrown, but I try to avoid injuring them.

ItsAChiaotzu

Apr 20, 2009
TheRightToArmBears said:
Depends what gig I'm at. If I'm seeing Devildriver, I'll mosh, if I'm seeing Less Than Jake I probably won't. I don't get kids who mosh and indie gigs though. Moshing to indie is like wearing body armour to beat up a baby.
That is a great analogy, mainly because that sounds really fun.

OT: Yeah, but more polite moshing, when someone gets knocked down, we help them up, it's meant to be fun.

Anarchy In Detroit

May 26, 2008
While I do mosh I think there are unspoken rules. Pick people up, don't start shit for no reason, and do your best to kill a skinhead. Maybe the last one is just me.

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
foxyexplosion said:
I usually try to get in a little moshing but I find it helps to be in "moshing mode", things seem to hurt less. Did you perchance see them recently with Attack Attack and Pierce the Veil? Cause I was at the Seattle show for that tour and it was pretty sweet. But its best to get it in from time to time but I agree its nice to just hear and see bands live sometimes.
Yeah I did :). I hate Pierce the Veil and Emmure though.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Nope. I'm always scared my glasses will get knocked off and broken, then I'll not only be in a mosh pit, but i'll be blind and in a moshpit. Even if I get out, then the rest of the show will suck as the band will be blurry dudes on stage.

Hashime

Jan 13, 2010
What is a mosh?
I don't listen to / appreciate music, so terms like these without context are a mystery, and I am too lazy to google it.