Poll: Who really wants a new console?

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
I always enjoyed new gen consoles, but for me this current gen has been the same as last gen except with better graphics. Apart from the sandbox games like Fallout, GT and Elder Scrolls games - everything else is more of the same but prettier. I just cant see the point in a new 720/PS4 if we are just going to be playing he same games. Compare Doom to COD - everything has become smaller and maps are corridor based but atleast the graphics look nice.

I for one dont want to spend £300/£400 on a new console just to play a prettier version of COD.....but a prettier but more open world COD game set in WW2 would be a day one purchase. :) When they release the 720 or PS4 i want new experiences as well as the old familiar ones.

I want a WOW factor, like when i played my PS1 for the first time and watched that Manta Ray swimming around.....just amazed me.

ph0b0s123

Jul 7, 2010
I do so that my PC games will not be things designed to only run on 5 year old hardware rather than taking advantage of the advancements since then. I mean for crying out loud mobile phones will have DirectX 11.1 support this year.

silasbufu

Aug 5, 2009
I don't think I'm gonna get a new console.

Besides, I just got a pretty good gaming PC and got into using Steam and I must say I'm liking it a bit more (not trying to start a flame-war, if you're into that, quote someone else).

Jun 11, 2008
I just want the next console gen whenever it comes out to have enough power so I don't have lag in my single player games. Hopefully they will cop on and give it enough power as well to have a constant 60FPS rather than 30FPS well at least when needed.

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
Im generally a bit behind everything when it comes to this. I only got a PS3 last year and still only have 2 games for it. Ive barely played any games of this generation at all. I dont really have the money for a new console either so I vote no - I'd really love a few more years to not worry about buying any consoles and trying to catch up with games.

Sadly it looks like I'll be needing to get a 3DS at some point soon... some awfully good-looking games seem to be coming out for it.

EDIT: In addition, what will a new console gen actually give if I may ask? Aside from prettier graphics and more processing power? Honestly, Im happy with the capabilities of the current gen in both those regards. The last couple of gens had more perks - playing online, an update in graphics when it was sorely needed, motion controls (not saying its always good but at least its different), etc. What'll be special about the PS4/Xbox720?

Arakasi

Jun 14, 2011
I want a new console to come out so I can wait for 5 years to get it when it's cheap... Again.

Hollywood koal

Jan 12, 2012
This cycle has been so long. I for one cannot wait for the new consoles. With each new console comes greater functionality and greater graphics. Who really buys a PS2 game if it is offered for $10more on the PS3? no one!
Expenses for gaming has always been and always will be a con, so for me it really has no bearing on needing newer consoles.
While playing games i can feel them hitting the ceiling of the consoles. You can feel it when all the games start getting a similar look and feel. I call it a console bump, and the only way out and over it is newer consoles with new ways of making games. Besides, I would rather feel wistful and have new games than longing.

theskadudeguy

Nov 19, 2010
As long as we don't all go to Cloud based stuff I'll be fine. I'm a collector at heart and would hate to only own things that don't physically exist...

Custard_Angel

Aug 6, 2009
I'm not keen on another $500 price tag.

As far as I'm concerned, no contender of the current generation has earned its keep.

There's good games across the board, but no console has proven itself as being a worthwhile purchase.

BreakingHax

Jan 12, 2012
i would love new gen console or even removing consoles bcus of the multiplatform games is just getting worse on the ports with FPS cap and shorting on the rendering the consoles have to do.

CoL0sS

Nov 2, 2010
Not opposed, thought I question the necessity of it. If their aim is to create something more than just a graphics powerhouse, I'm all for the immediate generation switch. But, it's more likely to be another graphics update with motion control/3D/touchscreen capabilities with false promises of backwards compatibility :)P). Besides, have we really seen many gameplay innovations with this generation(and no, I don't count motion control)? There's also a question whether game developers are prepared for that change. It would be nice to shorten that painfully awkward period of them adjusting to new hardware. Developers have just gotten comfortable with this generation, pushing it's hardware capabilities to the max. However that also revealed all those restrictions that 6 year old components have. Price is also a huge factor. Hardware is cheap, but making new consoles is expensive and a lot of people wouldn't be able to afford them with world economy being what it is. Perhaps now is not the right time, but they haven't even announced them yet. In 18 months or so when that change becomes a (possible) reality, or we at least have more information, we can argue the purpose of it all. Waiting makes it all the more sweeter. In the meantime I'll get some more use out of my PS3.

RickyRich

Nov 8, 2011
Furioso said:
RickyRich said:
Maybe I'm just the odd man out on this issue, but I feel like so much more could be done with the current technology.
No way, that is pretty much wrong by fact, the only reason games these days have seemingly better graphics is by them cutting corners (such as the low field of view in CoD MW3, which limits what's on screen at any given time), which they have gotten very good at over the years, but think about it, would you trust the technology in a PC from 2003?
Over the last few days I've been noticing little graphical issues like that, and it does add up after a bit. I just may have to edit my first statement. I graphical upgrade would be okay.

Nalbis

Oct 6, 2008
Personally I'm happy with the current gen of consoles, but I am looking forward to seeing the new ones. Things have to move forward at some point, might as well happen now.

Manji187

Jan 29, 2009
Let's see. Recently upgraded PC + shitload of games on Steam, recently purchased 3DS...for now I'm good.

It's not like developers are suddenly going to write much better stories and characters anyway. And launch titles are either sequels to triple A franchises (more of the same just shinier) or mediocre crap everyone will have forgotten after a year or two.

Oh and lots and lots of shooters, obviously.

Graphical innovation, while good and all, is the standard kind of innovation. It is a given. Shit will look better in 6 years...FACT. But so what? What will it matter if you'll likely be playing another unimaginitive power fantasy?

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
The only way I'll be happy with new consoles is if they are fully backwards compatable.