Poll: Why do people hate 3D?

Breaker deGodot

Apr 14, 2009
For me it's simple. I hate 3D because the glasses give me a fucking blistering headache every time I watch a movie, so the negatives vastly outweigh the positives.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Some people get headaches from it yet it constantly gets shoved dwn our throat to the point that it's hard to watch a movie in 2d, it doesn't really add anything to the movie once the novelty wears off and it inflates movie ticket prices?

The Human Torch

Sep 12, 2010
3D, when properly done, is quite enjoyable. Avatar, Thor and the Transformer movies were good to watch in 3D. Other movies, like The Last Airbender, The Avengers and The Amazing Spiderman had very little 3D impact.

thanatos388

Apr 24, 2012
Also there is the growing issue of piracy, its difficult to pirate a 3d movie. So yeah since people still buy tickets it wont go away anytime soon.

Aarowbeatsdragon

Jan 27, 2012
I think there should have been a fourth option, 3D can be good when used properly. im going to point out two things, the 3D in the amazing spiderman was quite good, but the 3D for the avengers had a few problems and that is because it was not filmed for the 3D format, spiderman was. I dont mind 3D, as long as its not tacked onto the film after filming.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Hoplon said:
Nouw said:
Jesus christ are the glasses really that bad? I can't imagine how much strife you would be in if you needed to wear actual glasses in everyday life.
I do wear glasses in real life and let me tell you, The pieces of shit given out for 3d films are crimes against your face. (saw Tron Legacy in 3d)

The only reason it is pushed at all is the 40% bump on ticket prices for minimal extra investment.
I wear glasses in real life as well and I really don't find them that bad. My only real problem with them is that they occasionally slip down but that's no reason to hate 3D.

ElPatron

Jul 18, 2011
>extra cost at cinemas
>not everyone can see it (people blind from one eye, people with lazy eye and Leela)
>just like pretty graphics can be a very important aspect of a game, it's cost of production means that producers will focus less on other important areas
>not even true 3D, just two 2D images
>glasses can bother some people

Basically your argument is just like saying "We need photo-realism in games because in real life we don't see things with pixels!"

Basically you can have Avatar's approach, or just knives and shrapnel being shot at the audience during Citizen Kane. I hate both ideas.

Basically... Something. I don't like it for personal opinions, not because "everyone" hates it.

Nouw said:
I wear glasses in real life as well and I really don't find them that bad. My only real problem with them is that they occasionally slip down but that's no reason to hate 3D.
With all the inherent flaws in 3d, the fact that the only object that allows humans to see the effect is crappy overpriced piece of plastic that doesn't even work for everyone would justify the hate.

GodofDisaster

Premium member
Sep 10, 2009
Because (In the words of abridged Alucard) "It's a stupid fucking gimmick and everybody knows it."

Also as someone who has to wear glasses, do you have any idea how uncomfortable it is to wear 3D glasses on top of them. It's not like I can just take them of and wear the 3D ones, because if I do that I won't be able to see the screen.

Seriously nearly every movie in my local cinema is 3D. With the exception of Dark Knight Rises I was so happy I got to watch that in normal 2D.

Hoplon

Jabbering Fool
Mar 31, 2010
Nouw said:
Hoplon said:
Nouw said:
Jesus christ are the glasses really that bad? I can't imagine how much strife you would be in if you needed to wear actual glasses in everyday life.
I do wear glasses in real life and let me tell you, The pieces of shit given out for 3d films are crimes against your face. (saw Tron Legacy in 3d)

The only reason it is pushed at all is the 40% bump on ticket prices for minimal extra investment.
Agreed, I dislike it because it's not really there to improve the film but to ramp up cost and since I have to ware my normal specs at the same time as the 3d ones it's less than comfortable, even then I just get none fuzzy images since it doesn't seem to work for me at all.

nathan-dts

Jun 18, 2008
I like 3D, but only in the case of small particles coming out of the screen. During the Olympics opening ceremony there was a part in which bubbles came out of the screen and they genuinely felt like they were in my room.

Also works well in games. I found myself just stopped and looking at random objects.

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
I want it to die a horrible horrible death for three reasons.

1) My local cinema isn't showing 2D versions of a lot of movies, so if you want to watch a movie, even one only post-converted, you're stuck with 3D, removing customer choice, they do this because they can charge extra for 3D.

2) I wear glasses, like a large percentage of the population. Wearing a double set of glasses is painful. That's alienating a lot chunk of your customers.

3) It's a visual trick, which would be fine, if it wasn't for the fact it makes me literally physically ill. The whole fooling the eye thing that makes 3D work makes me sick. And I'm far from alone. Paying someone for the privilege of giving me a migraine isn't for me... sorry. That ties back to #1, so I've seen a lot less movies these last few years then I did before 3D "made a come back"

If they manage to evolve the technology to the point where it isn't a migraine inducing, neck cramping pain in the ass, I wouldn't have a problem with it... until then I hope it dies.

OriginalLadders

Sep 29, 2011
I don't hate 3D, it's just that I've only seen it used in one of two ways. As a gimmick for it's own sake, with things coming out of the screen straight at you (which is boring after the third time you see it). Or to push up the price of a cinema ticket, in which case I stop noticing it after five minutes, which annoys me because, where I currently live, the cinemas just don't show the 2D version of any major release if there's a 3D version. It's boring and serves no purpose (except inflating profits).

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
If they do it properly, its great and well worth the money, but if they just throw it on to get a few extra £'s its pointless, especially when the glasses actually make the screen darker than it should be

TheMann

Jul 13, 2010
I think there is an important option omitted form the poll and that's "It depends". Whether or not I like it depends on a few things. The main one being whether or not the movie was filmed in 3D. This is incredibly important. Many movies that are cashing in on the 3D thing are converted from normal film and look like shit as a result. There's absolutely no reason to see these in 3D. Animated CGI movies will almost always good in 3D because the camera is virtual, and can easily be tweaked to provide the best possible result.

Movies that looked good in 3D:
The Avengers
TRON: Legacy
Toy Story 3
Coraline
How to Train Your Dragon
Megamind
Despicable Me

Movies that looked like shit in 3D:
Alice in Wonderland
Clash of the Titans
A whole slew of campy horror flicks.
Any older movie that's been re-released in 3D

So yeah it depends, it really does.

Shaved Apple

May 17, 2012
Depends on my mood. People just find it annoying sometimes because they have stuff flying at them.

ultratog1028

Mar 19, 2010
1. Some people can't see 3d.

2. 3d at this point hasn't been executed well and has just become a gimmick to charge an extra $3.

3. It adds NOTHING to the experience. I never watched any movie and thought "you know, I really miss width. this movie needs glasses to allow me to see width."

4. I wear glasses to see, so wearing 3d glasses requires me to either remove my glasses, resulting in a blurry movie, or not use the 3d glasses, resulting in a blurry movie.

Sep 13, 2009
A year ago I wore contacts and I disliked 3D and saw it as an unnecessary gimmick. It's NOT real 3D, it just kind of looks like there's depth. If I'm watching a 3D movie often after a half an hour I will almost stop noticing it and can watch the movie like normal. Then I can go home and watch a movie in 2D and feel like nothing was missing. That is not saying good things.

Now I wear glasses and I hate 3D. Even if I can eventually get past the fact that everything is harder to focus on and "jumping out" I can't ignore how uncomfortable and almost painful it is to be wearing two glasses on top of each other. Not to mention they keep falling down during the movie.