Poll: Why do YOU do what is right?

Hiikuro

We are SYD!
Apr 3, 2010
I picked spiritual reward, even though I'm not religious. I see it as spiritual reward as I'm contributing to the universe and nature.

I (try to) do what is right because I want nature (as in: biological life) to live, grow, and expand. For I believe that all of nature is connected and interdependent. As such, the act of doing what is right is selfish only because I'm a part of nature.

That probably sounds weird, but it is hard to explain without going into detail.

MagusVulpes

Nov 18, 2009
Why do I do what's right... I imagine I do what's right because others have done it for me. I know what's it's like to not have help, or a meal, or other such things, and knowing that there was someone willing to help with no expectation of repayment... I want to be like those people. I believe there will be a Heavenly reward, but I honestly believe that being this person is reward enough.

There's nothing better than spreading joy and peace to others. There really isn't.

Hasido

Jun 20, 2011
it has to do with my over active empathy. Its not about rewards, or making myself feel better, its that other people should be happy.

Sun Flash

Fus Roh Dizzle
Apr 15, 2009
Does "not feeling like a dick" come under no reward expected or ego? 'Cos it'll be that one.

If I see an opportunity to do something right/nice/whatever and pass it up, my brain screams at me I'm a terrible person for the next week. Like this one time last September, I was walking along Waverley Bridge and saw this baby's toy dropped on the ground and there was no baby in sight. The "right" thing for me to do would have been to put it on the wall so it wouldn't get trampled and the mother could easily find it if she came back looking. I decided to just walk past it and for the rest of the day my brain was guilt tripping me. On my return journey the toy was gone and it actually felt really crap to have missed that opportunity to do something, regardless of how small or insignificant it was, and I still remember it, 11 months on.

I'm weird.

RoonMian

Mar 5, 2011
You may call me a cynic but to me the fact that this poll counts twice as many people clicking on "altruism" than on "ego" is just a joke. :D

That takes me bag to the thread about mental disorders where dozens over dozens of Escapees allegedly had Asperger's Syndrome. The same narcissistic BS.

Dr. wonderful

Dec 31, 2009
If I don't do it, who the hell will?

Too many people looking out for their selves and to hell with other people. Even when I scare people I want to help.
thiosk said:
Actual answer: because I'm not a huge flaming dickwad. If a little old lady is trying to put her groceries in her trunk, you walk up and offer to assist.
To be honest, I tried that once and the old lady call a cop over because she thought I was going to rob her.

):

DarthFennec

May 27, 2010
Well, if I do things that are considered `wrong' I'll be fined or put in jail, so I do the right thing generally to avoid that. Other than that though, I guess I don't really do `what is right'. I don't generally help people out if I can help it. Sometimes I feel like helping someone but usually I just leave them be.

crop52

Mar 16, 2011
I don't know. I could put some thought into finding an answer, but that might make me stop doing good things.

Fleeker

Jan 24, 2011
I don't want to hurt anyway or at least minimize how much I do.....I don't lie, I have of course but I've learned you don't need to remember a lie you don't tell and the truth always comes out so its better to be honest and deal with consequences up front.

Basically I do the right thing because I don't want to hurt others or create unnecessary stress and problems in my life....I also do what I feel is right not necessarily what society says it right in a situation.

Dyme

Nov 18, 2009
real world reward (If I'm good to people, they'll be good to me, the ladies/men love a good guy/girl)

I behave how I want others to behave. I don't even think there is real altruism.