Poll: Why do you (not) eat meat?

LadyDeadly

Mar 5, 2011
because of a balanced diet? Evolution made humans omnivorous. If we were ment to only eat veggies we'd have more molars and if we were ment to eat more meat we'd have more canines.

I like lamb. and Goat.
goats are cute and they eat almost anything, so if you were to choose an animal to rear for a food source , goats would be the best.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Because I like it, and I consider it natural in the order of things... I respect vegetarians as a personal choice, but I have no moral issue with the idea of eating other animals.

Also, since almost all the diet in my country consists of either meat or pasta, I would be fairly limited if I choose to go vegetarian.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
So, I understand you eat only home-grown plants, right? And you don't consume anything that came out of another animal?

Because if you eat or drink products containing milk, it's still using animals. And if you buy at shops, you are encouraging mass fields of death for millions of insects and small animals that die every time you want a "fresh carrot to save an innocent cow". What about innocent moles or critters that get squashed and pulverized by machinery on the field?

Also, it's our nature. Just like sex, it's a part of nature itself and it's something a lot of animals do, not just people, but all other omnivores. Hell, I bet as many if not more animals die to predators than to humans, difference is moronic hippies think it's not happening/

Kuroneko97

Aug 1, 2010
Because apparently even as a baby I wouldn't eat meat; I'd just spit it out if it had meat. I was born a fucking vegetarian. And cheese is fucking delicious.

That said, I hate PETA and any person who acts as if we as a population are horrid murderers for eating meat.

Capitano Segnaposto said:
We need to kill animals in order to keep populations in check.

That immediately came to mind when I read that.

Naeras

Mar 1, 2011
Because meat is delicious, and I don't currently have the willpower to help save the planet by eating other stuff instead.

CounterReproductive

Apr 9, 2010
I eat meat, I also eat vegetables, i don't eat fish. I have worked in an abbatoir, i have shot my own food, i have skinned , gutted, cleaned and cooked animals I have killed. I would only feel guilty if i had made the animal suffer. Clean kill, no guilt, no worries. Pest control of rabbits and woodpidgeons can provide a LOT of protein and also protects the crops vegetarians eat.

Win-Win

Peace

MrFalconfly

Sep 5, 2011
I'm an omnivore.

I eat meat, fish, vegetables and other stuff that fuels my body with carbohydrates.

That said I do have a particular fondness for a nicely roasted Entrecôte steak with some red-wine sauce and some nice seasoned potatoes.

And of course, being Danish I can't seem to stop eating herring.

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
Meat's tasty. Though, veggies can be tasty too, if they're cooked by Asian chefs. I pity the vegetarian that is stuck eating salads.

Capitano Segnaposto said:
Soods said:
Greetings humans. Today I would simply like to know, why do you eat meat? And if you do not eat meat, you can tell why not.

I do not eat meat because I believe it is harmful for the environment. And I hate the greasy taste it leaves in my mouth. Also: "Look at me! I'm so hipster for not eating meat!"

Now your turn!
How is it harmful? It is actually harmful to not eat meat. We need to kill animals in order to keep populations in check. The worst thing we can do is to just let the meat waste away and decompose. We eat the meat we get from population checking.

Or at least that is how I have always looked at it.
Actually, we're the ones who raise those animals en-masse, which is the reason for their large population. If we didn't eat meat at all, domestic cows and pigs would probably be extinct, rather than overpopulated (just think about it, does a farm cow stand a chance in the wild?).

TheRundownRabbit

Wicked Prolapse
Aug 27, 2009
Because its good. I tell the escapist this all the time, IF ITS GOOD, IM EATIN IT! I have seen appalling things when it has come to meat, I've cows at slaughterhouses and stuff, hell, I even helped my friend clean out the grease traps in a fast-food joint he works at, nothing will ever get me to stop eating meat, the most delicious thing one the planet.

C F

Jan 10, 2012
I eat it because I can. I like the concept of feasting upon slabs of an animal's muscle fibers. Plus it's filling and it tastes good.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
Matthew94 said:
Lieju said:
I don't really eat meat, because of the enviromental concerns.
What environmental concerns?
It generally takes more resources(energy, land, and water) to produce meat-heavy diet than plant-heavy.
http://www.ajcn.org/content/78/3/660S.long

Abedeus said:
So, I understand you eat only home-grown plants, right? And you don't consume anything that came out of another animal?

Because if you eat or drink products containing milk, it's still using animals. And if you buy at shops, you are encouraging mass fields of death for millions of insects and small animals that die every time you want a "fresh carrot to save an innocent cow". What about innocent moles or critters that get squashed and pulverized by machinery on the field?

Also, it's our nature. Just like sex, it's a part of nature itself and it's something a lot of animals do, not just people, but all other omnivores. Hell, I bet as many if not more animals die to predators than to humans, difference is moronic hippies think it's not happening/
Most people in the world don't eat as much meat as Americans, for example, do. Although this is (unfortunately) changing, and for example Chinese are using more meat, which uses more resources than plant-based diet.

Just because something happens in the nature does not mean it's morally okay. For example, rape and murder(animals plotting and killing members of the same species) happes quite a lot among our closest relatives.

A person can just try to avoid causing suffering and use as little resources as possible, or just not use them more than one needs. You are right, no matter what you eat, animals will suffer and you will have an effect on the environment, but one can make choices that will mean the effect is smaller rather than bigger.

I'm not vegetarian, but I avoid eating meat.

Stukov Wolfwood

Feb 28, 2012
meat is tasty.
fruits are tasty.
vegetables are tasty.
the few minerals that we can eat are tasty.

if you were tasty i would eat you too. (just kidding.)

Stukov Wolfwood

Feb 28, 2012
Matthew94 said:
Lieju said:
Matthew94 said:
Lieju said:
I don't really eat meat, because of the enviromental concerns.
What environmental concerns?
It generally takes more resources(energy, land, and water) to produce meat-heavy diet than plant-heavy.
http://www.ajcn.org/content/78/3/660S.long
I read through it all and yes, you are right. The meat based farming is much more unsustainable though it is clear that action needs to be taken as farming vegetables is unsustainable in the US (and likely many other MEDCs). Farming itself needs an overhaul.

I'm still going to eat meat but you have made your point.
well if i recall right, most of the vegetables that are eaten in the USA are imported. i am from the heavy agriculltural zones of mexico, and most of the production is aimed for exportation to the usa and other countries. (most of them tomatoes, not beans)

wottabout

May 4, 2011
I feel guilty eating meat, but, well, it's just easier than not eating it. It tastes good, it keeps me healthy, and I don't have to spend time looking for a vegetarian option. I have tried vegetarianism, but I haven't been able to stick with it.

rutger5000

Oct 19, 2010
I don't eat because I only want antibiotics when I have a severe infection, I don't want any steroids and because I known methane is more powerfull greenhouse gas then C02 so we should attempt reducing the ammount of shit being produced.
Don't give a crap about the animals honestly, same way I don't give a crap about some starving child in random 3rd world country.