Poll: Why do you swear?

CaptainKoala

Elite Member
May 23, 2010
I will cuss extremely rarely if I'm looking for some real emphasis on what I'm trying to say. But tell me Escapist, why do you swear?

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
I try not too.
But some times a simple "Aw man!" wont express he rage and frustration i feel at the time.

Demongeneral109

Jan 23, 2010
Sometimes, It just gets the point across faster. I mean, I don't swear often or anything, but it creates a more powerful statement nyoro~...

Betancore

Apr 23, 2010
For both reasons. Because I can, and to emphasise whatever it is I'm saying. Sometimes because I'm angry or emotional. When I speak, I mostly swear because I'm used to it and because my brain can't catch up to my mouth. I generally try to limit my swearing though.

xitel

Assume That I Hate You.
Aug 13, 2008
I swear because in certain instances, a swear word such as fuck or shit, while it can technically be replaced by another word as a synonym, conveys a certain sense of emotion that is lacking in the other synonyms. For example, the phrase "Fuck you" has a completely different meaning than the phrase "Have sex with you". It's more a matter of a secondary meaning than what's written in the dictionary.

no oneder

Jul 11, 2010
My option wasn't in the poll.

I'm guessing it's an age thing to swear. It makes me feel adult.

neoontime

I forgot what this was before...
Jul 10, 2009
I don't know but maybe you should add a direct option as because i'm stupid.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
I don't.

If I do, it's to get the message across to someone. That doesn't usually need to happen though.

Tehlanna TPX

Mar 23, 2010
Whats the big deal with it, anyways? Throughout the ages, certain words have become almost taboo to use in regular conversation. I could understand if the person's discourse was limited to every other word being a curse, but when littered throughout language... what does it really hurt?

I myself do it because I want to. It's a conscious choice I make to say "fuck" instead of "OH DARN". Oh darn just seems so.... silly.