Poll: Why do you swear?

Cpt_Oblivious

Not Dead Yet
Jan 7, 2009
Because I fucking well can, alright?
I don't know, I just do. I can tone it down to a family audience but I do swear an awful lot. In fact, "Hey ****" is a greeting in my group of friends. I don't like toning it down though, after all the kids'll find out some day and in the end they're just words. Unless it's a racial slur then there's no reason to be offended at all.

Especially in the case of ****. It's much nicer than vagina , and less sexist as vagina comes from the Latin word meaning " a place to put a sword", but of course in Latin, their word for sword also meant penis. So in essence it's "a place to put a penis", whereas **** is ****.

My name is Mike and I say **** a lot.

Edit:

Mr. Purple

May 1, 2008
<color=purple> ...I just posted on another topic saying something along the lines of, "The Escapist Poll options are all absolute rubbish"....it seems this one is no different. There isn't even an "Other" option.
I swear because there is absolutely nothing wrong with the words. If you are offended by them, then I'd hate to live your life. And as far as religious standards go, I don't believe in a higher power. Especially one that marks words as "wrong".

Angus565

Mar 21, 2009
There are times when no other word can describe your anger like lets say for example...
You wake up in the middle of the night to go get a glass of water, your eyes are still blurry from just getting up, you get your water and on the way back to the bedroom you stub your toe on the kitchen table, and your glass of water hits the floor and smashes into a thousand pieces. What would you say?

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
Several reasons.

One: Damn is one of the best words ever, in versatility and effectiveness.

Two: Fuck is fun to say.

Three: They add emphasis.

Four: "I'm shitting on your taboo, *****!"

Five: The replacement words sound horrible, as does saying the word bleep. "What the crap" sends me into a murderous rage, as does Phooey.

8-Bit Grin

Apr 20, 2010
I swear for comedic value, but never in front of women.

Yeah, maybe it sounds old fashioned but... I just feel wrong for some reason. Similar to how I feel when I don't hold open a door for a lass.

Other than that, I'm game if it's funny at the moment.

Monkfish Acc.

May 7, 2008
Fuck you, that's why.
[sub][sub][sub][sub]Why wasn't that a poll option[/sub][/sub][/sub][/sub]

But yeah, I only do it when I am feeling ornery or when it would be humourous in some way.
Being almost exclusively ornery all the time, however, I pretty much curse this ***** up like a fucking sailor.
I should probably learn to curtail it, and often try when around small children and the like, but fuck that, that would involve effort I cannot be fuckbuggered to put in.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
I don't swear at all in real life. I've been raised that way. I can however right them and use things that represent curses like "Fudge" or "Eff (F)" and "Skite (Old form of Shit)" and "Crud" and others.

ddon

Jun 29, 2009
I only swear if something really annoying happens like say, I died just before the end of a difficult level and have to do the entire thing over again. I am not the kind of person who yells cusses at people just because I am annoyed though.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
I very rarely swear, to me it just makes someone sound stupid or uneducated and I can't swear at-all in hearing range of a certain little sister I have, otherwise 15 mins later she'll say it in front of the parents!

Holyeskimo

Jul 14, 2010
Started when i was like six and started laughing everytime i would use one it never got old to me, and now it's just ingrained in head as the way i speak thank god it has become part of how i write or type.