Poll: Why do you swear?

steampunk42

Nov 18, 2009
mostly cause whatever im swearing at just either tried to cause me bodily harm or pissed me the f&*k off!

Skeleton Jelly

Nov 1, 2009
To show that I'm angry and wanting to be serious, when I'm just flat out pissed off, and in a comedic way.

I don't understand the people who say swearing is bad. Do people know where the word "Fuck" came from?

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
Mr.Mattress said:
I don't swear at all in real life. I've been raised that way. I can however right them and use things that represent curses like "Fudge" or "Eff (F)" and "Skite (Old form of Shit)" and "Crud" and others.
I do this, but like all cool people I say frak.

MetalDooley

Cwipes!!!
Feb 9, 2010
Country
Ireland
Generally when I'm angry/frustrated.Sometimes it'll just slip into normal conversation though

Caligulove

Sep 25, 2008
Out of anger or to emphasize something that I am saying- usually something humorous or unbelievable

Pielikey

Jul 31, 2009
Because when you need something to yell after dropping a heavy load onto your already broken toe, sometimes you need something a little more serious than "Oopsie-dasies!"

Rachel317

Nov 15, 2009
Sometimes...normal words just can not do justice to just how insanely pissed off you are.

I swear more/less around certain people, depending on who they are; I have some friends who don't like swearing and thus I won't but then I know a few who swear a lot. I feel far more comfortable around these people =D It's a much more relaxed situation.

I tried the whole "mother-fudger", "freaking", "frigging", "shhhhhoot" thing, but it didn't work very well.

I try my bestest not to swear in front of small kids or elderly people but...I tend to not really give a flying crap about who's hearing it and if they're offended or not. Fuck it, risk it for a biscuit. =D

Aug 25, 2009
I hardly ever swear, only when something aggravates me beyond the point of reasoned debate (which is a Herculean task) and even then I usually only use one swearword strategically placed in order to emphasis how I am still capable of articulate and rational thought, but I am far beyond the point of being diplomatic and reasonable with however I am arguing with.

I swear often online, but even then I steer clear unless I'm trying to emphasis, because in a text-based argument you can't use tonal shifts in your voice or pauses for emphasis, so you have to resort to other methods, and a well placed swearword can be the best way to do that.

I also put wear words into my written works (stories etc) when it is character appropriate.

The one exception to this rule is Emma Watson, who I will curse out every time I mention her name. *****.

Milo Windby

Feb 12, 2010
I swear because I am frustrated, or angry or because I just want to swear sometimes.
Sometimes it just pops out of my mouth, though of course its not like I did not know I swear of course.
However not really swear while online... I say it out lout to myself but I never really type it.

also, Lewis Black has something to say about this X3

hurfdurp

Jun 7, 2010
I don't swear, I just never got into it. I wouldn't do it in front of my family and that just kind of trickled into every other facet of my life. A lot of people misuse/overuse swears and it often falls flat and reflects poorly on them.

You almost have to have a knack for it, it's like a skill, which I certainly don't. I can't pull off even a well-placed swear, it would just be forced and awkward on my part.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
because if I don't people perceive me as 'fake', 'stuck up', or 'wimpy' at my job and don't give me information that is needed to help them and others. I've become somewhat able to turn it on and off. It's not always easy though.

Andalusa

Mad Cat Lady
Feb 25, 2008
I don't know... I usually only swear when I'm taking the piss, making a joke or annoyed, never when I'm really angry.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
I swear all the time, for two reasons.

1: I have always thought, why is swearing offensive? Who decided that these few words are not to be said? To me, it's just another way of describing things.

2: I plan on working in film. People working in film who don't swear are quite frankly, insane, or mute.

Boba Frag

Dec 11, 2009
Which cultural subset is this aimed at?

In Ireland and Britain swearing isn't really too much of a big deal, whereas in the States it can be whole different fuckin' ballgame.

I'm very good friends with an American so this is something I have first hand experience with.

Jaded Scribe

Mar 29, 2010
I usually only swear for emphasis.

But, also because I can. This is mostly RL swearing, and usually stems from having 2 young children, so most of my day is filled with cartoony wholesomeness. When they go to bed, I usually end up swearing a lot, just to get it out of my system and because a person can only have so much wholesomeness in their life.