Poll: Why Don't Games Use D&D Alignment for Moral Choice?

Jan 12, 2012
One of the most common complaints about the modern games industry is the moral choice system: "Why do I have to either take the cat out of the tree for free or burn the motherf**ker to the ground?" However, tabletop games have produced a much more nuanced moral system (in the form of D&D alignment from Advanced to 3rd edition), and the games industry should gleefully pillage it

So we're all on the same page:
Law vs. Chaos
The law versus chaos axis in Dungeons & Dragons predates good versus evil in the game rules. In esoteric Greyhawk setting lore, too, the precepts of law and chaos predate good and evil in the world's prehistory. Players often consider law and chaos less relevant to their character than good and evil. Confusingly, a lawful alignment does not necessarily mean that a character obeys a region's laws, nor does a chaotic alignment necessarily mean that a character disobeys a region's laws.
The third edition D&D rules define law and chaos as follows:
Law implies honor, trustworthiness, obedience to authority, and reliability. On the downside, lawfulness can include closed-mindedness, reactionary adherence to tradition, judgmentalness, and a lack of adaptability. Those who consciously promote lawfulness say that only lawful behavior creates a society in which people can depend on each other and make the right decisions in full confidence that others will act as they should.
Chaos implies freedom, adaptability, and flexibility. On the downside, chaos can include recklessness, resentment toward legitimate authority, arbitrary actions, and irresponsibility. Those who promote chaotic behavior say that only unfettered personal freedom allows people to express themselves fully and lets society benefit from the potential that its individuals have within them.
Someone who is neutral with respect to law and chaos has a normal respect for authority and feels neither a compulsion to follow rules nor a compulsion to rebel. They are honest but can be tempted into lying or deceiving others if it suits him/her.
It is more common for creatures to be neutral with regard to law/chaos than good/evil. Certain extraplanar creatures, such as the numerous and powerful Modrons, are always lawful. Conversely, Slaadi are chaotic, representing beings of chaos. Dwarven societies are usually lawful, while Elven societies are most often chaotic.

Good vs. Evil
The conflict of good versus evil is a common motif in Dungeons & Dragons and other fantasy fiction. Although player characters can adventure for personal gain rather than from altruistic motives, it is generally assumed that the player characters will be opposed to evil and often fight evil creatures.
The third edition D&D rules define good and evil as follows:
Good implies altruism, respect for life, and a concern for the dignity of sentient beings. Good characters make personal sacrifices to help others.
Evil implies harming, oppressing, and killing others. Some evil creatures simply have no compassion for others and kill without qualms if doing so is convenient or if it can be set up. Others actively pursue evil, killing for sport or out of duty to some malevolent deity or master.
People who are neutral with respect to good and evil have compunctions against killing the innocent but lack the commitment to make sacrifices to protect or help others. Neutral people are committed to others by personal relationships.
Paladins, altruistic heroes and creatures such as angels are considered good aligned. Villains and violent criminals are considered evil, as are inherently evil creatures such as demons and most undead. Animals are considered neutral even when they attack innocents, because they act on natural instinct and lack the intelligence to make moral decisions.

This could be a hidden system in the game that has the various factions judge you along the two axes of Good/Evil and Law/Chaos, and decides how they react to you accordingly.

For instance, if you consistently chose evil actions, evil organizations (gangs, cults, etc.) would seek you out to hire your skills. If you were lawful, then the lord might use you sparingly as a mercenary that he disagrees with but can expect to do the assigned task, while the evil organizations would compete with each other to hire you as a loyal servant.

On the other hand, if you were good, then the citizenry (neutral good) would approve of most of your actions, and they would help you out. However, if you were also chaotic, you might fall in with a Robin Hood-esque band, and the guards (though also good aligned) would be under orders to keep you away from the towns. Meanwhile, the Big Bad would seek to manipulate you by convincing you that certain evil actions will have good results.

What do you think, Escapists? does it sound like a good idea, rather than the traditional bipolar system? DO you know any games that are already using this system?

EDIT: GOOD AND EVIL ARE NOT ARBITRARY. It seems like a lot of people are unfamiliar with the system D&D uses, and are saying that you can't truly have good and evil choices. However, 'Good' is just a euphemism for altruism, and 'Evil' is one for selfishness. The game would not have to announce that choices were 'good' and 'evil', they could use other terms which would have the same effect. For instance, if you were known to be 'evil', it's unlikely that people would ask you to recover their priceless family heirlooms, as you might steal them.

As a side note, I do appreciate the amount of effort that would go into programming all these choices, but after witnessing Skyrim's "read every single book in the game" it seems that developers are beginning to understand how to produce large games with great depth. (I know it's not a perfect analogy, but you catch my drift).

Jan 12, 2012
Mortai Gravesend said:
Well it would take a bit more effort to put choices in for it I guess.
But games already make a large amount of side-quests that could be offered or not offered based on the player's actions, increasing replay value, rather than simply throwing everything at you on the first go.

For example, this recent article: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/firstperson/9353-When-Dragon-Age-II-Fell-Apart

discusses a mission where *DRAGON AGE 2 SPOILERS* The player is tasked with breaking up a secret meeting of Templars and Mages. While that makes sense for a Lawful (Templar-aligned) player, it doesn't work at all if you're Chaotic (Mage-aligned). By having the game weigh how lawful you are, it could decide whether or not to offer the quest. That way, if you play through again as a the opposite, you might be surprised to uncover it, or impressed that the game realized how immersion-breaking it is.

JesterRaiin

Apr 14, 2009
Thunderous Cacophony said:
does it sound like a good idea, rather than the traditional bipolar system?
Please remind me, because i forgot the details...

Let's say there's this Orc going by the name of "Bulg".
Bulg believes in strength, fire, blood and battle. He perceives civilization of Mankind as weak abomination that should be burned to the ground.
On the other hand he is a strict follower of the laws his little tribe.

Is Bulg Lawful of Chaotic ?

Jan 12, 2012
Mortai Gravesend said:
You are right, Sir/Madam. It would be more work; I just don't think that the amount of work would be very severe, as they are already working on a model of making a large amount of side-quests; If they limited those quests to specific circumstances, they game would FEEL much deeper without much more work.

JesterRaiin said:

Bulg believes in strength, fire, blood and battle. He perceives civilization of Mankind as weak abomination that should be burned to the ground.

I would slot Bulg under Lawful Evil: While he follows the laws of his tribe (and presumably respects his superiors, etc.), he has an evil goal in that he wants to kill an entire race with no respect for it's variances (ex. the typical Barbarian, who is close to his own views)

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
We don't really need a "system". I doubt writers sit down and think "what morality system should I employ while drafting this character up".

The D&D system is a fun guide line for people new to roleplaying, gives them things to think about. I don't think you were ever really meant to follow it SLAVISHLY.

Talshere

Jan 27, 2010
Writing 9 potential verbal option trees would be complex, not to mention 9 skill trees considering thats how they usually do these thing because they lack imagination.

Having said that Neutral would be an improvement, given its the choice most normal human being would chose thus allowing you to most identify with the protagonist. It might be a challenge to make them not bland since due to the aforementioned lack of imagination, but enough people find the concept of grey Jedi cool that its far from impossible.

JesterRaiin

Apr 14, 2009
JesterRaiin said:

I would slot Bulg under Lawful Evil: While he follows the laws of his tribe (and presumably respects his superiors, etc.), he has an evil goal in that he wants to kill an entire race with no respect for it's variances (ex. the typical Barbarian, who is close to his own views)
Wait, wait...
From the point of view of his tribe shouldn't Bulg be considered Lawful Good or at least Lawful Neutral proud warrior true to its laws and tradition ?
And from the point of view of civilization is Bulg anything else than Chaotic Evil, bloodthirsty animal like monster ?

That's the problem with DnDish alignments - they aren't half that flexible as people think. They have their use, sure, but if you enter gray area of moral ambiguity, they fail. :|

Jan 12, 2012
JesterRaiin said:
Wait, wait...
From the point of view of his tribe shouldn't Bulg be considered Lawful Good or at least Lawful Neutral proud warrior true to its laws and tradition ?
And from the point of view of civilization is Bulg anything else than Chaotic Evil, bloodthirsty animal like monster ?

That's the problem with DnDish alignments - they aren't half that flexible as people think. They have their use, sure, but if you enter gray area of moral ambiguity, they fail. :|
I see, we're entering the realm of moral relativity...

I was applying the same generic rules of civilization that I imagine a game designer would use as a base (respect for law = good, genocide = bad). While I agree that D&D rules may not be the most flexible, they are more flexible than the current good-evil diametric. However, I would say that they are very good at exploring moral grey areas. Attempting to locate the balance between laws, desires and reality are (at least in the campaigns I play) at the heart of D&D.

JesterRaiin

Apr 14, 2009
JesterRaiin said:
I see, we're entering the realm of moral relativity...

I was applying the same generic rules of civilization that I imagine a game designer would use as a base (respect for law = good, genocide = bad). While I agree that D&D rules may not be the most flexible, they are more flexible than the current good-evil diametric. However, I would say that they are very good at exploring moral grey areas. Attempting to locate the balance between laws, desires and reality are (at least in the campaigns I play) at the heart of D&D.
Color me puzzled here...
I really can't consider D&D "very good at exploring moral gray areas".
As i suggested before, depending on the point of view same character can be described by complete opposite alignment. Being both good and evil at the same time is not only a paradox, but also serious challenge to the system that contains spells like "smite evil".
Please elaborate !

Savagezion

Mar 28, 2010
JesterRaiin said:
Wait, wait...

Your character is Lawful Evil. Evil doesn't mean EEEviiil, it means you are motivated by personal gain. You motivated to kill humans because you don't want them there. You think that their stuff should belong to the orcs.

Because your kingdom is lawful evil, you will get positive modifiers from them. Good characters don't seek to wipe out life. They are motivated by what is in everyone's best interest. They also believe that there is a little good in everything. They will kill when necessary, but this does not include genocide. (That clearly isn't good for everyone.) Trying to commit genocide will have negative impacts on your character if you are playing a good character. Committing genocide as an evil character will offer benefits. What these benefits and negatives are, are up to the GM.
I, personally, would generally alter your alignment, low XP ceiling for a determined amount of time, and possibly roll for possible psychological effects (Identity Crisis, Outbursts of rage, addiction, etc.) depending on how large the shift was. Going from neutral good to neutral evil isn't too bad. Shifting from Lawful good to Chaotic evil would have larger effects.

JesterRaiin

Apr 14, 2009
Savagezion said:
Because your kingdom is lawful evil, you will get positive modifiers from them.
Wait, wait please... :)
We - the citizens of our kingdom don't consider ourselves Lawful Evil. Sure, we're trying to expand our borders but it's the way for civilizations to thrive. We have countless mouths to feed, ya know... Sure, we're waging wars here and there, but it's because we don't simply back off, don't run away from conflicts. We're skilled, and fearless warriors so why should we ? Of course, there were... incidents, but the saying "war is hell" isn't just a slogan.

It's them who are evil. We're the good guys here.

How does it sound ?
That's what i'm talking here about. "I dub thee Evil" and that's it ? Who's the judge ?

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
With the amount of casualisation going on these days I'm surprised there are moral system at all, but hey they can color code that two way choice so the dummies don't get confused.

Yes it would be nice to have more complexity, but us who like it are very very few so you might want to consider those games will not be making a comeback.

Jan 12, 2012
JesterRaiin said:
That's what i'm talking here about. "I dub thee Evil" and that's it ? Who's the judge ?
In D&D, there usually is a judge in the form of the Gods. Some of them advocate positive virtues like respect for others, protection of the weak, etc. Others support negative virtues like sacrificing others for yourself, hurting others because it seems fun, etc. (if you want to know why these are classified as Good and Evil, I suggest a philosophy course at your local institute of higher learning).

There are neutral virtues like conquering, which can be done either in a Good way (fighting only those who are fighting you, protecting refugees from starvation and banditry) or an Evil way (rape, pillage, destroy, WAAAAGGHH!)

However, most situations are not so black-and-white, and that's how you can have moral grey areas. For instance, the classic idea is when you kill a red dragon (Chaotic Evil, as it happily kills everything it can in order to accumulate treasure for itself) but discover that it has eggs. Should you destroy the eggs to prevent the monsters from ever posing a threat, or should you trust that, with proper care, you can raise them to be Good and Lawful? And if you do raise them, and they turn to evil, are you responsible for killing them? What if you manipulate their love to lure them into a trap so you can cut off their head?

Moral judgement is difficult, and one could argue that any answer to the above questions could be either Good or Evil. The system exists to provide a moral framework to judge others (just like you have one, developed from your religious background, experiences, etc.)

Savagezion

Mar 28, 2010
JesterRaiin said:
Savagezion said:
Because your kingdom is lawful evil, you will get positive modifiers from them.
Wait, wait please... :)
We - the citizens of our kingdom don't consider ourselves Lawful Evil.
Doesn't matter. The good and evil system isn't actually about morality in DnD, it is about who you share goals and views with. Just replace "Good" with "Humanitarian/Empathy" and "Evil" with "selfish" or a pseudo-totalitarianism ideology. An evil character disregards what is right or fair to anyone who opposes his views. His motivations are his ideologies and anyone else's be damned. Because of this good tends to get along, evil will fight with itself.

Sure, we're trying to expand our borders but it's the way for civilizations to thrive. We have countless mouths to feed, ya know... Sure, we're waging wars here and there, but it's because we don't simply back off, don't run away from conflicts. We're skilled, and fearless warriors so why should we ? Of course, there were... incidents, but the saying "war is hell" isn't just a slogan.

It's them who are evil. We're the good guys here.
And that is how you get into character. Play the character constantly thinking like that and you have no problems.

How does it sound ?
Evil characters rarely get along in this system. Often they clash unless their law vs. chaos system aligns. Good and evil get along less the more their law vs. chaos seperates. It is easy for a Neutral Evil and Neutral good character to behave around one another. Lawful good and lawful evil can but its hard. Chaotic Good and Evil, its rare.** When BOTH LvC AND GvE clash there is usually large problems with the exception of when neutral is involved. Chaotic Evil and Lawful Good? No. Chaotic Good and Lawful Evil? Maybe, but even at its best they will go separate ways.

Look at it this way:
Good and Evil: Your characters take on the good of the many vs. the good of the few. (If you are in the few.)
Law vs. Chaos: How strong is your character's conviction on morality?

**I have seen it played together for about an hour rather well. They hated each other but the Chaotic good guy felt compelled to aid the Chaotic Evil guy due to a stipulation of the quest of a rescue. CG almost got killed by the CE guy on purpose twice. Once for warning the guards they were there once in an attempt to save the guards' lives (CE guy tried to kill him for that), and again by stepping in front of a trap the CE guy didn't see coming.

masticina

Jan 19, 2011
mmm did that programmer just ran through the window. Ah yes John from the AI coding!

I agree that it is a solid system, but done well because humans tend to do it. In games that depend on code certain things to happen. Well..it won't be as easy!

The idea of that people either love or fear you depending on stories is .. partly done in games. Your deeds certainly cause ripples in some games. But they tend to be yet the type of "Oooh he is one of the dark brotherhood" or "Oooh he is a knight of the nine" .. pretty much always the chaotic option ;)

If though you have a game with strong limits, where story and characters matter more.. then yes you can do this. I just fear that if you try to take every NPC and have to program their reaction based upon an 8 point system that is based upon your actions... John from the AI departement might get kinda overworked.

But I like the idea.. And in some games your choices do have far going effects.. but only because of the limitations. An real open world close to skyrim or even more open well.. so many factors. Poor John.

Hell NWN was.. disturbingly lacking evil choices. As in sure you could play "evil" but you really didn't have evil options. No evil campaign no evil path.. so all those "you need to be evil to become this type" ..worthless.

Oh you know why don't we do this, Take a big page think A4/Letter at least. Put 4 lines on it crossing in the middle and use the Good Evil Chaotic Lawfull on it. Why the other two lines.. trust me makes it look like a spider web. Anyhow think of a scenario and make characters, how would the character react, and how in turn would the world/game/npc's react. ... That is allot of data points. If you have to program every NPC, every "faction" and "location" with the support to run such a system. Then you see why this usually happens within a game with limits, where a story is layed out.

I haven't played the PS3 deus ex yet but I heard that the world kinda does reacts.

Jan 12, 2012
masticina said:
mmm did that programmer just ran through the window. Ah yes John from the AI coding!

I agree that it is a solid system, but done well because humans tend to do it. In games that depend on code certain things to happen. Well..it won't be as easy!

The idea of that people either love or fear you depending on stories is .. partly done in games. Your deeds certainly cause ripples in some games. But they tend to be yet the type of "Oooh he is one of the dark brotherhood" or "Oooh he is a knight of the nine" .. pretty much always the chaotic option ;)

If though you have a game with strong limits, where story and characters matter more.. then yes you can do this. I just fear that if you try to take every NPC and have to program their reaction based upon an 8 point system that is based upon your actions... John from the AI departement might get kinda overworked.

But I like the idea.. And in some games your choices do have far going effects.. but only because of the limitations. An real open world close to skyrim or even more open well.. so many factors. Poor John.

Hell NWN was.. disturbingly lacking evil choices. As in sure you could play "evil" but you really didn't have evil options. No evil campaign no evil path.. so all those "you need to be evil to become this type" ..worthless.

Oh you know why don't we do this, Take a big page think A4/Letter at least. Put 4 lines on it crossing in the middle and use the Good Evil Chaotic Lawfull on it. Why the other two lines.. trust me makes it look like a spider web. Anyhow think of a scenario and make characters, how would the character react, and how in turn would the world/game/npc's react. ... That is allot of data points. If you have to program every NPC, every "faction" and "location" with the support to run such a system. Then you see why this usually happens within a game with limits, where a story is layed out.

I haven't played the PS3 deus ex yet but I heard that the world kinda does reacts.
Awww.... I'm sorry John, I didn't realize what I was doing to you. You will be sorely missed.

Right then! Intern! You are now promoted to John. YOu don't have to program everyone along both axes. The citizenry don't really care whether you are Lawful or Chaotic, only whether you are Good or Evil. It's only certain factions like the town guard, the local thieves guild, your paladin friends, etc., who care about whether or not you follow their rules.

Masticina: Could you roll a D20, compare it against New John's Programming, and find out whether he followed his predecessor?