Poll: Why isn't Australia in any shooters?

Dylan Bonnett

Feb 21, 2011
seriously why does america have to be the focus of every realistic modern (by that I mean not past nor future) shooter its just ridiclous and also why does america is allways the good guy even though in real wars there as bad as the other contry and i realise that america has saved our buts here and there if it was a historic shooter easily understandable. though now developers are making stuff up e.g black ops witch story is based around the cold war whitch barely even started and yet america is still the one to end it AGAIN.

but australia has a wealth of historic wars for example the ANZACS (Australia New Zealand Army Corps)witch fought in gallipoli and other battles. whitch is so memorable in Australian and New Zealand minds that it even has a cookie named after it or even a modern shooter made completely out of creativity sort of like 'Bulletstorm' minus the space marines.

so give me your thoughts or feelings about this I leave you with this AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE OI OI OI!

PlasmaFrog

Feb 2, 2009
I choose: Other -

Why?

Australia holds the least political interest, which is why I'd love to move there.

Harbinger_

Jan 8, 2009
There is the theory that was put forward that Americans can't relate to anyone who isn't American. I personally think that Canada could be the focus of some good shooters as well.

owyndevaldeck

Aug 17, 2009
Not sure this realy needs to be a poll but i agree, its a shame they havent worked any aussie characters or settings into a game. Would have thought World at War would be a great chance with a bit of Kokoda Trail or something but alas...

Flare Phoenix

Dec 18, 2009
PlasmaFrog said:
I choose: Other -

Why?

Australia holds the least political interest, which is why I'd love to move there.
Really? I would've thought Canada or New Zealand would have held even less.

owyndevaldeck

Aug 17, 2009
Harbinger_ said:
There is the theory that was put forward that Americans can't relate to anyone who isn't American. I personally think that Canada could be the focus of some good shooters as well.
At least Canada got a call of duty character at one stage....or am I making up memories again...

Bobic

Nov 10, 2009
Give me a couple of months and I'll have released 'Kangaroo hunter 3000'. Patience is all that is required.

Citizen Snips

A Seldom Used Crab
May 13, 2009
It's illegal to shoot Koala Bears. Kangaroo mounts would be hard to shoot from because of all the bouncing too. Everyone knows only spear men can truly utilize them. ...Aborigines don't use guns? They already did it in Mad Max.

...I'm out of ideas.

Avaholic03

May 11, 2009
Isn't TF2 fairly Australia-centric? Sure, it doesn't have a single player campaign, but it does have some back story.

Citizen Snips

A Seldom Used Crab
May 13, 2009
owyndevaldeck said:
Not sure this realy needs to be a poll but i agree, its a shame they havent worked any aussie characters or settings into a game. Would have thought World at War would be a great chance with a bit of Kokoda Trail or something but alas...

...you're right. No Australians.

yookiwooki

Dec 3, 2010
The badassness of a shooter set in Australia would be too much for any computer or gaming console to handle. Even if scientists could get the gaming systems to handle it for short periods of time, playtesters would have their faces melted from the manliness.

erbkaiser

Romanorum Imperator
Jun 20, 2009
Recognizability. The major US cities, especially New York, are world famous. I think the only building in Australia people know is the Sydney Opera House.
Sure you could base the game in the outback, but then you just have another Mad Max or Fallout wasteland.

Not saying it is not possible, but what publisher will sign off on it? If the game is any good it will be banned inside Australia itself, and to the rest of the world the setting will be unfamiliar. What do you think they'll choose, familiar pseudo-New York or who-ever-heard-of-Darwin?

And as for characters... asides from TF2 I can't think of any Australians. Americans are easy to stereotype, as are Brits, Russians, etc. but how do you define a character as an Ozzie that is recognised as such world-wide without turning him into Crocodile Dundee?

Dys

Sep 10, 2008
Dear god learn to differentiate between which and witch...

America is the largest audience for AAA videogames, hence the American setting.

America saved our butts once, not many times throughout history, once. Not that it isn't fantastic that or anything, but it's not like anyone other than Japan in ww2 has ever looked like invading Aus.

Isn't team fortress 2 set in Australia? It seems that most FPS games are sci-fi and not specific to any one country, I don't really feel under represented as an Australian.

owyndevaldeck

Aug 17, 2009
Citizen Snips said:
owyndevaldeck said:

OK. Thats one, from a multiplayer game.

PlasmaFrog

Feb 2, 2009
Citizen Snips said:
owyndevaldeck said:

It's actually a possibility that he was adopted and British born.

Azrael the Cat

Dec 13, 2008
Particularly noticeable with the first two Fallout games (the Interplay/Black Isle rpgs) that were heavily based on Mad Max 2, an Australian film set in post-nuclear-apocalypse rural Australia. Yet the b*******s had to move the setting to the US:-(. Not happy.

Azrael the Cat

Dec 13, 2008
Of course, any shooter set in Australia would seem unrealistic if it didn't have drop-bears in it. And how on earth are you going to put drop bears in a shooter where you expect things to be killable with conventional weapons. Set CoD in Australia and the game will only last five minutes: Soap lands in a helicopter, steps out, gets attacked by a drop-bear and has his head ripped off after emptying a full clip into the thing.

F'Angus

Nov 18, 2009
Because America is actively picking fights, where as everybody loves Australians