Poll: Why isn't Australia in any shooters?

RuralGamer

Jan 1, 2011
Because in order for the ignorant gamers to understand where it was, you'd have to have all the people riding kangaroos or hunting koalas. Pity really, because Australia has some lovely scenery, both in the Outback and elsewhere; seriously you could make a Call of Duty game based entirely in the country and still have all the levels featuring completely disjointed scenery in far apart locales. ANZACs in Gallipoli wouldn't be too fascinating a game because you'd spend 90% of it in a dirty little trench getting blasted by both Ottoman and Allied guns, with the occasional 'over the top' bit during which your survival is calculated by the probability of survival rather than your skill. Then at the end, in order to satisfy the Hollywood gamers, time travelling Nazis would have to arrive with giant robotic spiders or something because overall, the campaign was a rather depressing failure. Still, Australians and New Zealanders in South East Asia during the Pacific Theatre of WW2 would be interesting, if only so its not the USMC (seriously getting sick of their prevalence in any game that has the Japanese and WW2)

Megahedron

Aug 27, 2010
Azrael the Cat said:
Particularly noticeable with the first two Fallout games (the Interplay/Black Isle rpgs) that were heavily based on Mad Max 2, an Australian film set in post-nuclear-apocalypse rural Australia. Yet the b*******s had to move the setting to the US:-(. Not happy.
Had they set the Fallout games in Australia they'd have had to deal with everyone speculating that there was never a nuclear war. We know there's no Nightkin in California right now, but Australia... Who knows what's going on down there?

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Because the publishers think that the all-important American audience wouldn't buy it.

Actually, as an Australian, I think it's probably for the best. It's bad enough having to wade through all the militaristic jingoism in games based on America. Having the same thing based on my home country would just be awkward.

Or to put it another way, if Call of Duty is like having to watch a guy jerk off, then the Australian equivalent would be like having that guy turn around and give you an unsolicited and unwelcome hand job.

I wouldn't buy it.

Dylan Bonnett

Feb 21, 2011
F said:
Because America is actively picking fights, where as everybody loves Australians
by all means Australia doesn't have to be the good guy australia can join up with many other contrys that want america taken down a few notches.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
You can say the same thing about alot of countires. I live in England and im quite surprised at how few games we feature in even though weve got alot to do with American history. We aparently make a few preatty bad ass cameos in COD but I never played them. Were the bad guys sometimes which is cool but often its not stated whether theyre English or just posh.

Eiv

Oct 17, 2008
Speculation is amusing. Why dont we have a shooter set solely on the moon?. Personally i really am past caring about the grey mush that is the modern shooter. Plus, everyone knows the yanks are gunhappy. Leave them to what they do best, pure and utter ignorance of the rest of the world.

A game set in Aus shouldnt be a shooter. Dirt bike, rally car, surfing. All the kind of games that will make sure people remember the scenery and know they are in Aus are perfect.

FYI: Im Scottish, so i really ain?t biased towards any side.

Vie

Nov 18, 2009
I'd love Rockstar to make one.

You know, set during the USA 'v' Australia war they keep mentioning in GTA.

Suicide Bomber Kangaroos - the game, no matter how awful, would win with those.

MrStab

Mar 24, 2011
Well, because our wild life will fuck you up soldiers would just be chilling and then drop bears would come out of no where and bam dead.

PlasmaFrog said:
I choose: Other -

Why?

Australia holds the least political interest, which is why I'd love to move there.
Largest supply of yellow cake in the world I think that if we stopped exporting it there would be large amounts of "political interest" in it.

Azure-Supernova

La-li-lu-le-lo!
Aug 5, 2009
It really bugs me too. Russia and the US get a lot of the limelight in shooters. Simply because the larger target audience is American deters developers from making games in other settings? What, are they scared of culturally enriching their target audience? Heaven forbid.

Harbinger_

Jan 8, 2009
owyndevaldeck said:
Harbinger_ said:
There is the theory that was put forward that Americans can't relate to anyone who isn't American. I personally think that Canada could be the focus of some good shooters as well.
At least Canada got a call of duty character at one stage....or am I making up memories again...
Wouldn't know I don't really play alot of shooters and I'm not a fan of Call of Duty.

Reallink

Feb 17, 2011
Our release of the recent SOCOM got redubbed with Australian accents. Ugh. The huge African-American with a standard Australian accent

UGH

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
PlasmaFrog said:
Citizen Snips said:
owyndevaldeck said:
Not sure this realy needs to be a poll but i agree, its a shame they havent worked any aussie characters or settings into a game. Would have thought World at War would be a great chance with a bit of Kokoda Trail or something but alas...

...you're right. No Australians.
It's actually a possibility that he was adopted and British born.
Possible, yes. Though you're forgetting the other Australian in that game - A background character, granted, but still...

Saxton Hale. CEO of Mann Co.

What this says about Valve's idea of Australians though... XD

Ell Jay

Jun 3, 2009
Personally, no real interest in playing any modern shooters in Australia. Not even invading would persuade me to buy one, I don't think.

nipsen

Sep 20, 2008
Hang on..

You /want/ someone to imagine Australia through a machine-gun crosshairs? ..if someone made Call of Duty: Vesterålen, I'd want to kill them for real..

owyndevaldeck

Aug 17, 2009
What about something along the lines of Tomorrow When the War Began? Could have potential... potential that probably wouldn't be used but still...