Poll: Why isn't Australia in any shooters?

Entreri481

Jan 14, 2009
Harbinger_ said:
There is the theory that was put forward that Americans can't relate to anyone who isn't American. I personally think that Canada could be the focus of some good shooters as well.
Why?, were basically America light.

Hand-E-Food

Mar 19, 2009
Drop bears! Drop bears! Drop bears! Drop bears!

I think, as has been pointed out repeatedly, Australia isn't an instantly recognisable place. We have low population density, and one outback is the same an another. 90% of Australia's landmarks are pretty landscapes. The most I could see is a Deus Ex like game with a level based in Sydney. ANZAC battles are the only other one I can think of.

Australian tracks in a racing game would work.

There's Port Arthur, but after the live-action first-person shooter that happened there 1996, I doubt that location will be considered.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_Arthur_massacre_(Australia)

Ooh! What about "Tomorrow When The War Began"?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomorrow,_When_the_War_Began

Eomega123

Jan 4, 2011
The most advanced gun a standard fps hero can hope to come across is an earth-shattering nuclear device firing lazers. The native animals of Australia would tear him to pieces in seconds.

Conza

Nov 7, 2010
I'm glad the majority agree here, there simply aren't any good battles, in our short history, to make a good game. Period.

Scipio1770

Oct 3, 2010
seeing as Australia has a long history of going out if it's way to screw the gaming community, i don't think anyone is too keen on giving them any attention.

jFr[e]ak93

Apr 9, 2010
Selvec said:
jFr[e said:
ak93]The States could annex Australia as they did Canada for the next Fall Out game.
That's a long way to go when they could just go south and annex Mexico, south America and such, without being concerned over the large sea and limited ships.
But... this thread is about Australia... so the States is going down under for it's next annexing in Fall Out 5. If they are felling really generous they can have Mexico and South America as well.

Nickompoop

Jan 23, 2011
Are you kidding?
Australia is so full of awesome, the setting would just destroy anyone before they could fire a shot. That, and do you really want to go up against the biting sarcasm that is Yahtzee? I didn't think so.

EDIT: For the record, I'm American.

distortedreality

May 2, 2011
What about the First Fleet campaign?

You get to play as one of the first colonists, killing Aboriginals by sneezing on them and giving them colds.

Also, Undead is hilarious.

Conor Wainer said:
I'm glad the majority agree here, there simply aren't any good battles, in our short history, to make a good game. Period.
Lol? So very, very wrong. I'm also calling BS on you being Australian. Nobody down here says period. They use full stops.

Hyperactiveman

Oct 26, 2008
Same reason no-one outside Australia cares about Australia...

Australia is still extremely sheltered in that it doesn't do much outside of itself.

But don't worry... Australia has yet to make half the mistakes that USA, Europe and the rest of the world has and when they do they'll be a shooter in Australia eventually.

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
Because most games are written with America in mind as the primary audience, and for some reason entertainment execs think Americans can't relate to someone/somewhere that isn't American/America.

RicoGrey

Oct 27, 2009
Crocodile Dundee made it so no other media involving Australia will ever be produced successfully.

rabidmidget

Apr 18, 2008
Dylan Bonnett said:
seriously why does america have to be the focus of every realistic modern (by that I mean not past nor future) shooter its just ridiclous and also why does america is allways the good guy even though in real wars there as bad as the other contry and i realise that america has saved our buts here and there if it was a historic shooter easily understandable. though now developers are making stuff up e.g black ops witch story is based around the cold war whitch barely even started and yet america is still the one to end it AGAIN.

but australia has a wealth of historic wars for example the ANZACS (Australia New Zealand Army Corps)witch fought in gallipoli and other battles. whitch is so memorable in Australian and New Zealand minds that it even has a cookie named after it or even a modern shooter made completely out of creativity sort of like 'Bulletstorm' minus the space marines.

so give me your thoughts or feelings about this I leave you with this AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE OI OI OI!
Gallipoli would be an awful setting for a game, as would any other WW1 campaign, as combat in WW1 was a mixture of waiting about in trenches, then suicidally running at the enemy.

gyroscopeboy

Nov 27, 2010
There were plenty of Australian voices in Halo...i really want to see some games featuring more european cities like Amsterdam (and not in a WWII shooter!)

Trolldor

Jan 20, 2011
Australia would make for a brilliant survival setting - especially post-apocalyptia.
The large tracks of unpopulated Australian wilderness meant that there would be no need to carpet bomb Australia with either biological or nuclear weaponry, and even if you did there's no guarantee you'd get everyone.

And, it's either dense bushland or massive tracks of open space for the most part. No cover-based shooting!

R0cklobster

Sep 1, 2008
Well, like others have said, if the game was any good then the bloody govt would kick a big fuss about, not to mention countless parents. And it would seem a tad bit arbitrary - honestly we have hardly any history with fighting in wars (yes, I know we were involved in WW1, WW2, Vietnam etc etc, but what they don't tell you in high school is how insignificant our contributions have been in any of those conflicts, when you look at the actual statistics) and there seems to be little point in making it the focus of a shooter over any other country like, say, Canada for instance.