Poll: Why isn't Australia in any shooters?

Vausch

Dec 7, 2009
Probably because the game would be banned there and the Australian gamers and equal rights activists would start a riot.

Otherwise it's probably because American developers aren't aware of any wars that America wasn't involved in so they don't know of any battles to emulate.

loodmoney

Apr 25, 2011
Okay, forget the CoD thing. I want to see Undead [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0339840/] made into a game. I mean, everyone loves zombies these days, and this movie has a guy in a hat and a beard killing them with a home-made triple-barrel shotgun. And, at one point, a biro.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
OptimusPrime33 said:
Vault101 said:
OptimusPrime33 said:
It would get banned from Australia itself for being too violent (bazing). Also, that Australian accent would get VERRRRRRRY annoying after about 2 hours of playing. Americans have no accent so it's tolerable.
they have AMERICAN accets

and it would only be annoying if it were americans trying to do Aussie accents badly, I swear to god there is NOTHING more painful to hear,
I have never heard anyone say somebody has an American accent, I've heard people say Russian accents, German accents, Irish accents, Australian accents, and many more, but I've never heard anyone say American accent before. And yes I have to agree, Americans trying to do Australian accents is like nails on a chalkboard.
do you live in America? and Im sorry but that still makes no sense, its like assuming that america IS humanity and all the other countires are forgeners

and if you an american in Australia you have an american accent, because you would be talking different to everyone else, or you would be really noticible as I dont "notice" Australian acccents while i'm in Australia

alsp even America has a different range accents, southern, new yorker, ect...some of whcih are really noticiable

so I dont understand how you can say "americans have no accents"

l00kmumn0hands

Apr 11, 2011
Nothings really happened on Australian land worthy of making a shooter out of. Maybe a historical one out of the Eureka Stockade? But even then it would only make one level of a shooter. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eureka_Rebellion

Otherwise, as pointed out Australians troops we're involved in world wars 1 and 2 as well as Vietnam and Korea. We're in Iraq and Afghanistan as well, but with not many troops and most in non combat roles. All I'm saying is that besides perhaps Gallipoli, there's not many interesting battles that Australia's been in, that American wasn't. American game studious are going to make games about Americans in battles if they can.

greenitedaze

Dec 2, 2010
Necromancer Jim said:
Australia's quite far from a military power of the world.

And it's nowhere anyone wants to conquer either.
With all that mineral wealth its only a matter of time,... erm actually the chinese have
already done that.

On the actual question of the game, who wouldn't enjoy lassoing a joey, or a sheila !

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
PlasmaFrog said:
I choose: Other -

Why?

Australia holds the least political interest, which is why I'd love to move there.
Hmm, not if they made a game that is a combination of a shooter and the game of Risk. Then Australia would be the most important place in the world.

Dizeazedkiller

Feb 11, 2011
Don said:
... ANZACs in Gallipoli wouldn't be too fascinating a game because you'd spend 90% of it in a dirty little trench getting blasted by both Ottoman and Allied guns, with the occasional 'over the top' bit
*Snip*
It would be workable but you'd have to go to great lengths to set the stage, the backstory and create characters that you could relate to or actually would care if they died sort of thing. Also interactive cutscenes because normal ones are bullshit. It should all be about how the creators immerse you in the game. The guy in front of you getting shredded by a machine gunner, spraying you with his blood and staring blankly back at you as his decapitated head flies through the air, wouldn't be as fantastic if you were watching it from another angle and had no control over the action. It also wouldn't work if you didn't give two shits about the guy in front of you.
Also a lack of any sort of map radar or anything on you at all times would make it more intense, especially if you never knew when they were going to jump down from those tunnels and attack. Like if, in the campaign, there were attacks set in stone but also smaller, randomly timed ones that change from each campaign. Not sure if they really did whistle but if dropping bombs did that would start you on a mad dash for cover.

There are heaps of historic and fictitious Aussie battles around that could be used, but America wants to feel like they are on top so they don't use any of these. If they did decide to make an 'Australian' shooter then it would a bunch of crocodile dundee stereotyping and the american characters would be the hardcore ones, and the Australians would be portrayed as the funny guys with the funny accents that get blowed up hahaha...

IMO Aussies are in the same boat as the Russians. We are just too damn awesome. To save themselves the embaressment, they made the Russian in Blsck Ops imaginary, and they keep Aussies out of shooters altogether.

A Russian Australian duo would fuck shit up in an FPS... just as long as they have their grog.

greenitedaze

Dec 2, 2010
Anyway, how can you have aussie shooters with such strict gun laws?
Stick to serial killers in the outback like wolf creek, or jacobs creek with acid?

badgersprite

[--SYSTEM ERROR--]
Sep 22, 2009
Why should it be? Like, really, what makes Australia any more worthy than the hundreds of other countries that also don't tend to feature in shooters?

<---- Australian.

I want a Napoleonic War FPS to be quite honest.

Bags159

Mar 11, 2011
The wildlife would be completely overpowered. Fuck the enemy troops, there's giant spiders. That and not much in terms of wars / battles / fights have occurred there to my knowledge.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
OptimusPrime33 said:
Vault101 said:
OptimusPrime33 said:
It would get banned from Australia itself for being too violent (bazing). Also, that Australian accent would get VERRRRRRRY annoying after about 2 hours of playing. Americans have no accent so it's tolerable.

and it would only be annoying if it were americans trying to do Aussie accents badly, I swear to god there is NOTHING more painful to hear,
I have never heard anyone say somebody has an American accent, I've heard people say Russian accents, German accents, Irish accents, Australian accents, and many more, but I've never heard anyone say American accent before. And yes I have to agree, Americans trying to do Australian accents is like nails on a chalkboard.
I can't say I've heard it explicitly, but I've definitely heard it implied.
(The context is really ironic though).

I've had more than one Australian ask me if I was American.
The basis for this, when I point out I'm actually also Australian, is that my accent sounds American to them.

There's also the basic fact that you can hear American accents. (There's at least 3 variants that come to mind, though only 'southern'/'texan' is one I can give a name to.)

But, I have perhaps simply been exposed to a lot of languages and accents.

I can think of 4 or 5 'English' (as in people from various parts of England) accents, plus Scottish, Irish, and at least 2 variations on Australian accents as well. (plus the aforementioned American accents).
(Not to mention Canadians often have a distinct accent. Or two.)

And that's just for people who have English as a native language.

Indian, Dutch, German, French, Italian and scandinavian accent variants are also distinct enough for me personally to identify.

And... Asian, which I don't have enough skill to pick out distinct smaller groups with, but has enough common features to identify as something with a distinct sound.

To be honest, the fact that you have never heard anyone talk about an American accent is probably because you're used to thinking of it as the default accent.

(Whereas someone like me is more likely to view the most neutral sounding British accent as the 'default')

Remember, a statement along the lines of
"You sound (like an) American"
Is functionally identical to saying you have an American accent.

Sep 14, 2009
Da_Schwartz said:
Because you have that awesome arcade game where u drive the jeep and lasso animals...wtf else do you need?

FUCK YES! SOMEONE ELSE PLAYS THIS GAME!

it took me YEARS to refind that game and no one had ever heard of it..i could swear i was going crazy, that game is so fucking awesome it deserves its own arcade

BUT

OT:

well lets see...near every AAA developer/publisher in the world is either american or japanese..and the majority of the market is respectively america...

so who the hell are you going to appeal to business wise?

Honestly, as an american, i could care less if there was a single game ever made about america ever again, so please stop gettin all angsty and turning it into another "blame americans!" thing about games, hell i would love for most games to feature a wealth of different countries, but i'm stuck with what i got and i'm going to make the most of it.

Nov 12, 2010
Dylan Bonnett said:
seriously why does america have to be the focus of every realistic modern (by that I mean not past nor future) shooter its just ridiclous and also why does america is allways the good guy even though in real wars there as bad as the other contry and i realise that america has saved our buts here and there if it was a historic shooter easily understandable. though now developers are making stuff up e.g black ops witch story is based around the cold war whitch barely even started and yet america is still the one to end it AGAIN.

but australia has a wealth of historic wars for example the ANZACS (Australia New Zealand Army Corps)witch fought in gallipoli and other battles. whitch is so memorable in Australian and New Zealand minds that it even has a cookie named after it or even a modern shooter made completely out of creativity sort of like 'Bulletstorm' minus the space marines.

so give me your thoughts or feelings about this I leave you with this AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE OI OI OI!
They nerf video games with blood.Imagine how they'd act with the possibility of an Aussie dying.Just look at Russia and Call of Duty.It can't end well.

Merkavar

Aug 21, 2010
i wouldnt want an austalian shooter. everyone would talk with that annoying fake australian accent.

i never hear an australian on a tv show or movie that sounds even remotely normal. i never hear anyone down the street talking like australians in tv shows do.

Matt East

Apr 4, 2011
Vault101 said:
OptimusPrime33 said:

Like James Coburn in The Great Escape.