Poll: Why isn't Australia in any shooters?

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Kursura said:
There was a cool Unreal tournament 2004 map which was set in Australia, complete with kangaroos. It involved beer production.
You mean the "AS-Thepubiwithnobeer" map? Yeah that map was pretty fun.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Actually, I'm still waiting for the ultimate Mad Max game. I expected that, with post-apocalyptic free-roam games being so popular, someone would make it. Buuuut nooooo... It's all mutants and American stuff. At least Rage comes a bit closer.
Leviano said:
Why dont we have a shooter set solely on the moon?
Weeeeell almost. [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpD6pkA83k8]

Allevil

Nov 11, 2009
Task Force 141 had a bunch of Aussies in it. Thats something, I guess.

I'd like to see an Australian campaign in some shooter. Maybe a Vietnam one? We did have 60000 men over there, after all. Over a dozen battles. Should be do-able.

Solo-Wing

Wanna have a bad time?
Dec 15, 2010
Hey an Australian war game would be a way for developers to get back at Yhatzee. They could have you come across an enemy that is very similar to him and you kill him. I would love to see how Yhatzee reacts to that. XD

May 5, 2010
Harbinger_ said:
There is the theory that was put forward that Americans can't relate to anyone who isn't American.
Wow, that's incredibly insulting.

Anyway, OT: It's not like Australia is the only place on Earth that's never been featured in shooter. I guarantee the list of places that have been featured is much shorter then the list of places that haven't.

Alphavillain

Jan 19, 2008
Perhaps an FPS set in a lawless, frontier Oz, a la Call Of Juarez. Or perhaps something with Ned Kelly.

Marik Bentusi

Aug 20, 2010
I wonder actually. Australian feels like the perfect place for an Alternate Universe where the convicts took over and created a giant fortress full of brilliant super-villains planning to take over the world. Hey, it's better than "CyberNazis 5".

The end boss, of course, would have a chip on his shoulder and a hat on his head, but uses little to zero punctu-

DiscountSkill

Apr 2, 2009
An American developer made a game with American's as the protagonist, huh. Who'd of thought... crazy, man. Just crazy.

Allevil

Nov 11, 2009
superline51 said:
Australia doesn't do anything, ever
Not totally true. We have been in 11 major wars in just over 100 years.

We are a belligerent people, evidently.

Okysho

Sep 12, 2010
The same reason there's no Canadians in any shooters. Name ONE where you play a Canadian person? in ANY game.

Okysho

Sep 12, 2010
Allevil said:
Okysho said:
The same reason there's no Canadians in any shooters. Name ONE where you play a Canadian person? in ANY game.
Call of Duty 3.
lol oh yeah, but that was crap... I did say "one" game though. Fair play.

-gives cookie-

Quaidis

Jun 1, 2008
You're right. Where's my Outback wild shooter game? I want to hunt kangeroo, behead venomous snakes, and blow dangerous platypus from the water with a grenade.

AWC Viper

Jun 12, 2008
There is no Australian shooters for these reasons.

We don't shoot people. We either glass them or just beat them
We Usually get tagged onto a british unit in many games and movies. so people think we're english
Gun laws are more strict here, less GTA style games.
We're badasses. you cant make that into a game.

Also, The modeling of out nation would take forever.

Chased

Sep 17, 2010
Because if we give Australia a proper spot in a game then we have to give New Zealand one and then it will spiral out of control and before you know you're playing Modern Warfare 36, Iceland vs. Kazakhstan.