Poll: Will China Replace the US as the World's Leading Superpower?

x-machina

Sep 14, 2010
FalloutJack said:
NEW RULE: People with 10 posts don't get to make their own thread until they're up to fifty, and the RP section doesn't count.

In other news: No, China isn't going to supplant the U.S.
Why are you being a stuck up ass hole? New forum users generally sign up because they have an idea they want to discuss.

Anyway, I'm not nearly intelligent enough to acurately predict the world's politics or economy. But, I'm up for some wild unfounded speculation. I'm going to say India.

chinangel

Sep 25, 2009
the spud said:
chinangel said:
the spud said:
My new island nation, Potatolassia, shall rule the entire world by 2050 through a combination of space lazers and genetic supersoldiers. We shall have an army of robocops. Applications welcome.
I'd like to apply to be minister of Mad Science
Hmmm... that's a pretty high up position.

You may have to do something pretty impressive to earn that spot, like building a mech suit out of potatoes or something...
I said 'mad science' not 'inept science' :p

James Bridge

Jun 22, 2010
All I can say is that by 2050 I really hope there won't be a global "superpower". I just want every country to come together and stop being dicks to other countries and their own citizens and work for the greater good of humanity...Shame this almost certainly wont happen >.<

Comrade_Beric

Jacobin
May 10, 2010
wilsontheterrible said:
Comrade_Beric said:
I wouldn't underestimate the ability of the Chinese to keep their own airspace clear of Americans. Stealth planes are nice, but if enough randomly fired bullets find them they'll go down in flames just like any other. They might not be able to dominate the skies using their own planes, but that airspace is going to be just as dangerous for American pilots as for the Chinese.
Thats a lot of bullets for a plane that might not even be there. Plus the U.S satelites, cruise missiles, and the good old navy pounding the shoreline from Shenyang to Haikou. If it ever came down to blows nobody would be happy but China would end up recieving the brunt of it.

Anyway the U.S and China have absolutly no reason to want to fight each other. China and India though...thats a scary thought.
Something explodes and you didn't see anything coming on the radar before hand, then something is up there. At least until they invent the "stealth missile." As for Satellites and cruise missiles, you say that like China doesn't have any of its own. Missiles vs. Ships, Missiles win every time. Fire enough missiles at those ships (and China never builds anything for its military unless it's building "enough") and those ships are going to get busted up pretty badly. Besides, I don't know what shelling you're imagining. Today's naval firepower is focused on three things. Launching missiles, defending the carrier, and using the carrier's planes. If china can throw enough AAA at them, two of those aren't really going to happen.

China can defend itself. The only thing the US has going for it is that China can't really hit back short of walking all the way to Kamchatka and ferrying troops over the Bering Sea, assuming the Russians would even let them, which they probably wouldn't.

TornadoADV

Cobra King
Apr 10, 2009
No other country besides the US has the ability to project military power of the conventional or nuclear fashion. Not to mention China only owns 8% of the 32% of the 100% of current American Debt. That's right, 68% of the American debt is own by the American people. We would owe more money to Japan then China if we defaulted.

Blaster395

Dec 13, 2009
As poorer countries begin to catch up with the developed world, eventually the most powerful and wealthy countries will be determined by their population.

Andothul

Feb 11, 2010
The second China replaces the US as the world leading super power is the second World War 3 starts.

At this point China may rival or excede the US in economic terms but in military and diplomatic turms i think that is fairly unlikely.

Canid117

Oct 6, 2009
NoneOfYourBusiness said:
China obviosly, they are the world leading nation already. they have the most advanced weaponry, the most money and the best economic system
I think he wanted a serious answer instead of a joke.

Andothul said:
The second China replaces the US as the world leading super power is the second World War 3 starts.

At this point China may rival or excede the US in economic terms but in military and diplomatic turms i think that is fairly unlikely.
China's GDP is about a third that of the United States. I will just put that little tidbit of information there.

Warforger

Apr 24, 2010
Why would Brazil or Germany enter the superpower race? To start off Germany was never a superpower, I guess you could argue during the German Empire they were though but their power back then was relatively weak not nearly on the same scale as France or Britain, assuming of course Super Power being a nation with a strong global influence. But using that criteria the Netherlands would also be a super power at one point.

Brazil on the other hand is not anything like this, sure it's a bit rich and is responsible for making neighboring nations like Argentina rich too, but it's not a mega power with much offshore influence, they have no real threats at all after all.

Setupdown said:
I find it quite amusing some of these replies. Especially the ones saying China is Advanced. So what? Their upper class rides on some fancy train? 90% of their population are dirt poor farmers and industrial workers. Their cities are clouded with smog. And their property bubble is about to go pop, plunging it into another economic depression.
How does that make it not a Super power? Same could be said with Britain for most of the time it was a super power, same could be said with India and Brazil anyway. ESPECIALLY India. Currently it's mirroring America's history, right now it's in the 20's if it was America. In the Roaring 20's 60% of the population lived below the poverty line and another 10% was in danger of joining it, that's not rich at all, but the US remained a global power.

Setupdown said:
I'd think that economies likes Brazil, India and others will be very important. USA and Europe will still be leaders however.
They'll have influence, but not global influence like China is gaining, especially if you see what they're doing in Africa.

GLo Jones

Activate the Swagger
Feb 13, 2010
It really doesn't matter, to be honest.

I'm more worried about English loosing it's primary lingua franca status.

Dyme

Nov 18, 2009
The USA.

The USA is bigger than China, Canada is bigger than China as well.

And if having more people would be such a huge advantage, the USA wouldn't build a wall/fence on its Mexican boarder.

Shadowkire

Apr 4, 2009
In the age of the internet the question of one nation becoming a "superpower" is like asking who will win season 11 of American Idol. It doesn't matter and whoever is chosen won't be nearly as successful as the first superpowers/idols because to many have already flooded the world.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
FalloutJack said:
NEW RULE: People with 10 posts don't get to make their own thread until they're up to fifty, and the RP section doesn't count.

I like you. Will you be my friend?

China is going to grow, their navy will begin actually doing a little work around the world, and hopefully they can police shipping in their a little better. All they do now is prop up and support regimes as bad the US ever did in throes of the cold war. The west is already wising up-- theres a lot of countries courting our demand for cheap labor out there... and a lot of those countries actually respect intellectual property rights. Unlike china. Steal/Copy runs out of steam eventually.

JemothSkarii

Thanks!
Nov 9, 2010
the spud said:
Numb1lp said:
the spud said:
My new island nation, Potatolassia, shall rule the entire world by 2050 through a combination of space lazers and genetic supersoldiers. We shall have an army of robocops. Applications welcome.
Question one: How do I apply?
Question two: How shall we refer to you, m'lordship?
Answer 1: By killing at least 10 people with a single potato (extra points for creativity).
Answer 2: My username will work.
You can count me in then, let me go find a Potato.

OT: Hrmm, I dunno, I'm Australian, but I have a certain attachment to the U.S...However, I think Germany will be the world's superpower in 2050. They have the technology. Then can build the first bionic Mexican!...but seriously, I just think Germany.

RamirezDoEverything

Jan 31, 2010
Inevitably, there will be another global conflict, whoever comes out of on top, will claim the throne.

My money is on good ol' America, say what you want, those gun toting rednecks will save the nation when paratroopers drop in the dirty south.

genericusername64

Jun 18, 2011
The worlds largest economy certainly, but its Russia in the cold war, living conditions for the average person are worse than the U.S.

Jake0fTrades

Jun 5, 2008
It doesn't matter which country is considered the current "superpower." The title carries no real weight to it, losing the title won't cost the U.S. anything.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
x-machina said:
FalloutJack said:

Why are you being a stuck up ass hole? New forum users generally sign up because they have an idea they want to discuss.

Anyway, I'm not nearly intelligent enough to acurately predict the world's politics or economy. But, I'm up for some wild unfounded speculation. I'm going to say India.
My dear fellow, why are YOU taking offense when nobody else, including the OP, has? Actually, don't answer. Just go away.

Troublesome Lagomorph

The Deadliest Bunny
May 26, 2009
China basically owns the US. However, I don't see China having a good foundation for their economy and they're shit with politics. In other words: there are many, many factors in what makes a world power and since pretty much anything can happen. In other words: its really friggin hard to accurately predict this kind of stuff. For all we know, a couple of years from now the US will pull itself out of the hole its in and stop having to worry about being dethroned.

acosn

Sep 11, 2008
Troublesome Lagomorph said:
China basically owns the US. However, I don't see China having a good foundation for their economy and they're shit with politics. In other words: there are many, many factors in what makes a world power and since pretty much anything can happen. In other words: its really friggin hard to accurately predict this kind of stuff. For all we know, a couple of years from now the US will pull itself out of the hole its in and stop having to worry about being dethroned.
Two decades ago Japan owned the US. Before that it was Europe.

We're entering a brave new world where the US has to discover what Britain learned about a century ago: managing an empire is hard, and it can't last forever.

I strongly doubt China will ever amount to more than it already has, not to diminish it's gains, simply because it has far too many hurdles in the way. They have absurd scales of poverty to overcome when their rich are the US's middle class, and their poor aren't terribly unlike Africans making it day to day on pennies and nickles.

There's also the strong issue of political unrest, which I see only increasing as their GDP increases. People are simply dissatisfied with Chinese rule and it'll either cause something incredibly violent, or it'll be quiet and still undercut the country's economy.

There's also the general lack of respect for copyright protection and intellectual property.

In any case China's ability to project it's power is still living in the 1930's for any real application. Their navy is obsolete, their air force is still decades behind what the US is capable of, and they live in a region where any meaningful troop deployment is a logistical nightmare. It's mountains and mountains and more mountains.