Poll:Will recent musician's music be taught in the same as music by people like Mozart?

Truly-A-Lie

Nov 14, 2009
Well when I did music I had a month of lessons about why Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band was so amazing, so in some ways we're already there. We also did a bit on rock turning into grunge.

Treefingers

Aug 1, 2008
For one, Hendrix is already taught in contemporary music history classes.

Secondly, you can't even compare the two. Mozart is a significant figure in the entire of Western music history. He broke ground like few others have, and in a way that can't be repeated let alone topped. His music is technically far far far superior to anything that Hendrix or Metallica could have ever hoped to create.

Hendrix did have a significant contribution to music yes, but it's nothing compared to how important Mozart is.

Treefingers

Aug 1, 2008
Lebynthos said:
PayJ567 said:
Never, Its like saying will the screen plays of today ever compare to shakespeare Or will anyone of todays cults be bigger than christianity.
Well if you think of Jazz, back in its day it was the wild, out of control genre that was going to ruin the kids. Today it's considered a highly artistic form of popular music bordering on what boring people call 'art music'.

I can certainly see parts of modern music living on, though like always 99% of the chaff will be lost and a few gems will survive the rigours of time.
Yes and no. Jazz is so broad though. Yes there is a form of Jazz that is an old form of pop music. But there is a huge difference between a 1930's pop song (which would now come under the 'Jazz' umbrella) and say, some kind of modern experimental free jazz.

No-one is going to call Glenn Miller 'art music'. But something like Miles Davis' Bitches Brew was recognised as revolutionary and experimental from the time it was released in 1970, and perhaps be called art music in retrospect.

Straz

Jan 10, 2010
Treefingers said:
For one, Hendrix is already taught in contemporary music history classes.

Secondly, you can't even compare the two. Mozart is a significant figure in the entire of Western music history. He broke ground like few others have, and in a way that can't be repeated let alone topped. His music is technically far far far superior to anything that Hendrix or Metallica could have ever hoped to create.

Hendrix did have a significant contribution to music yes, but it's nothing compared to how important Mozart is.
Ah jeez.
Way to rip on our music, man.
Although Enter Sandman is hardly an opus magnum.
Just saying, there's plenty of better Metallica around.
In retrospect, you look at say, Pachbel's canon, and you look at a classic 30's pop track, and you have to admit that classical truly was a great genre, as some music was just not made to last.
I say classic 30's pop track with disdain, as pretty much all music prior to Elvis is held with contempt in my eyes.
I don't even know what I'm talking about most of the time.

BonsaiK

Music Industry Corporate Whore
Nov 14, 2007
Tribar42 said:
Will Jimi Hendrix's Purple Haze one day be taught in music classes like Beethoven's Fifth is today. Will Metallica's Enter Sandman share the same fate for better or worst? I think only history can tell but basically yes.
Yes. In fact, in some universities this is already happening.

Straz

Jan 10, 2010
Woodsey said:
No, because who would want to listen to Metallica?

I may not be a fan of Mozart but at least I can appreciate the talent he had when I hear his music.
You may not be a fan of Metallica, my friend, but you still have to admit that as a band they are technically competent.
Broaden your horizons, buddy.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Straz said:
Woodsey said:

I may not be a fan of Mozart but at least I can appreciate the talent he had when I hear his music.
You may not be a fan of Metallica, my friend, but you still have to admit that as a band they are technically competent.
Did you see what I said about Mozart? :p

Straz

Jan 10, 2010
Woodsey said:
Straz said:
Woodsey said:

We heard, and that merely strengthened our resolve all the more.
Perhaps Metallica's talent is just beyond your comprehension? :p.
EDIT: Whilst I view Metallica as very talented musicians, I admit their writing and formatting aren't always up to scratch, as in the case of the Black album, which I could listen to all day long, on the provision that it was on mute all day long.
They still play their instruments proficiently.

aruseusx

Apr 22, 2009
Straz said:
Woodsey said:

Technically competent. Out of the current 4 only Hetfield is. Lars is a terrible drummer, Kirk reuses guitar solos and Trulio(spelling?) doesn't compare to Newsted in technicallity. But at least they can keep being original. (Though originally shit on their recent albums)

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Straz said:
Woodsey said:
Straz said:
Woodsey said:

We heard, and that merely strengthened our resolve all the more.
Perhaps Metallica's talent is just beyond your comprehension? :p.
Well, I'm sure its not impossible for that to be the explanation...

pelopelopelo

Sep 4, 2009
Straz said:
Woodsey said:

History is full of the technically competent. They're not the ones who live on into eternity, it's the technically gifted...

Straz

Jan 10, 2010
I am going to lose this to areusx, but nonetheless, I aint listened to anything post newsted, and perhaps I referred to original Metallica, in which Dave Mustane played.
Crap I've already lost to you.

Straz

Jan 10, 2010
Lebynthos said:
Straz said:
Woodsey said:

History is full of the technically competent. They're not the ones who live on into eternity, it's the technically gifted...
True, but in order to be recognised as gifted, you have to be acknowledged as competent.

Chewster

It's yer man Chewy here!
Apr 24, 2008
What? What do you mean by taught? Like, their actual music being taught to musicians playing specific instruments, as they do with orchestras? Or do you mean that their music will be studied in the social sciences? Because the latter is happening already. I'm fairly certain the former happens too, just in private classes.

Guestowel

Oct 9, 2008
No, music today is simplistic in style, and as an instrument the guitar is limited in range.

SmartIdiot

Feb 10, 2009
Er... it's already happening mate. It's called contemporary music and is studied widely.

Peanut Butter

May 19, 2009
Well with any luck all rappers, black or white, will be first against the wall when the revolution comes and have all their shitty 'music' erased from human consciousness till the end of time.

aruseusx

Apr 22, 2009
BonsaiK said:
Tribar42 said:
Will Jimi Hendrix's Purple Haze one day be taught in music classes like Beethoven's Fifth is today. Will Metallica's Enter Sandman share the same fate for better or worst? I think only history can tell but basically yes.
Yes. In fact, in some universities this is already happening.
Wasn't that the University Apocalyptica attended. If it was it would explain a lot.

zen5887

Jan 31, 2008
aruseusx said:
Trulio(spelling?) doesn't compare to Newsted in technicallity.
I'm going to hope that was a typo and you ment "doesn't compare to Cliff in technicallity".

Even then, I think you are wrong but not as wrong as if you really did mean Newsted.

Have you heard Rob in Infectious Grooves? All Newsted did was follow the guitar lines or pound straight 8ths.

OT: I study contemporary music and I've looked at a lot of bassists from the 70's, studied Tool songs for exams, played Acid Jazz and learnt about the history of music from the 50's.

So, unless you study classical music it is already happening.

Chewster

It's yer man Chewy here!
Apr 24, 2008
Peanut Butter said:
Well with any luck all rappers, black or white, will be first against the wall when the revolution comes and have all their shitty 'music' erased from human consciousness till the end of time.
I think most reasonable people tend to scoff at such perilous attitudes, given the broad nature of most music genres.

Jazz was, after all, viewed the same by most academics and even some of the older population, back in the day.