Poll: Will you buy Duke Nukem Forever?

Jfswift

Hmm.. what's this button do?
Nov 2, 2009
I've always liked that Duken Nukem games. They're a bit over the top but fun. I think this will be a great addition to the series. :)

Kermi

Elite Member
Nov 7, 2007
thublihnk said:
Kermi said:
thublihnk said:
Kermi said:
thublihnk said:
Wow, the Escapist is refusing to even allow opinions that counter its hard-assed view on Piracy. Classy, folks.

OT: Nah, it's probably not going to be very good.
Gearbox/Take-Two might want to buy advertising space here in the future. Why would they do that if 50% of Escapists have openly admitted they're going to play it without paying for it?
Oh, right, I forgot the users was responsible for selling ad space. I'm just saying software 'piracy' isn't the black and white debate that The Escapist regularly portrays it as and they should be tolerant of points of view that don't fall in line with theirs.

And hey, look! Half of the Escapist says they flat out don't want to play DNF. I'd say that's worse than wanting to play it without paying for selling ad space.
You're being ridiculous. Piracy is illegal. Bottom line is, Escapist Magazine as a company with a vested interest in the video game industry, which relies on actual sales to thrive, should not allow themselves to be associated with a pro-piracy community.

They have elected to disallow such discussion, which leaves you with two options: deal with that fact, or choose not to post here.
I'm not being ridiculous for wanting a balanced forum for a discussion on one of the bigger issues in the gaming community today on a gaming website. Again, by your logic, the Escapist should hit the banhammer on anyone who doesn't like games that have been advertised here, including their beloved cash-cow Yahtzee.

I'm not saying piracy is good, or that we should all pirate games, or that we should all brag about pirating games, but one should be allowed to talk about piracy within the context of games on a gaming website without having to filter their opinions through the 'pirates are just meanies' narrative that most writers on The Escapist fall in with.
Well if we're going to put words in each others mouths, your logic dictates Escapist users should use this as a torrent linklist and console modding how-to guide. Everyone on the internet can come here to discuss how to get games for free and the publishers will never see another cent out of any of us.

I'm sure that will help Escapist Magazine stay in business.

Robby Foxfur

Sep 1, 2009
I couldn't vote on this because there is no maybe, but i can't wait to see the real review from Yahtzee, he is either gonna tear it apart or he'll never review at all.

vviki

Lord of Midnless DPS
Mar 17, 2009
Kermi said:
thublihnk said:
Kermi said:
thublihnk said:
Kermi said:
thublihnk said:
Wow, the Escapist is refusing to even allow opinions that counter its hard-assed view on Piracy. Classy, folks.

Gearbox/Take-Two might want to buy advertising space here in the future. Why would they do that if 50% of Escapists have openly admitted they're going to play it without paying for it?
Oh, right, I forgot the users was responsible for selling ad space. I'm just saying software 'piracy' isn't the black and white debate that The Escapist regularly portrays it as and they should be tolerant of points of view that don't fall in line with theirs.

And hey, look! Half of the Escapist says they flat out don't want to play DNF. I'd say that's worse than wanting to play it without paying for selling ad space.
You're being ridiculous. Piracy is illegal. Bottom line is, Escapist Magazine as a company with a vested interest in the video game industry, which relies on actual sales to thrive, should not allow themselves to be associated with a pro-piracy community.

They have elected to disallow such discussion, which leaves you with two options: deal with that fact, or choose not to post here.
I'm not being ridiculous for wanting a balanced forum for a discussion on one of the bigger issues in the gaming community today on a gaming website. Again, by your logic, the Escapist should hit the banhammer on anyone who doesn't like games that have been advertised here, including their beloved cash-cow Yahtzee.

I'm not saying piracy is good, or that we should all pirate games, or that we should all brag about pirating games, but one should be allowed to talk about piracy within the context of games on a gaming website without having to filter their opinions through the 'pirates are just meanies' narrative that most writers on The Escapist fall in with.
Well if we're going to put words in each others mouths, your logic dictates Escapist users should use this as a torrent linklist and console modding how-to guide. Everyone on the internet can come here to discuss how to get games for free and the publishers will never see another cent out of any of us.

Don't make too much of a big deal with this, guys. This is a Duke Nukem Forever tread, not a forum rules discussion.

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
Firoth said:
I would only buy it if Yahtzee gave it some sort of epic praise. And I'm not trying to say that I'm some mindless wallet that buys what people say is good, (If you know Yahtzee at all, you know that he praises almost nothing, let alone epic praise) I'm trying to demonstrate the level of awesome this game would need to achieve (and the futility of trying to garner that achievement) in order to get me to care about it.

So, I voted 'No.'
Count me in with this as well. It take a god level of epicness to make me care about this game after so damn long and such an embrassing story behind it. And yeah, it would pretty much be Yahtzee doing his mock review for it and actually mean every single frakking word in it.

diego_2112

Jan 28, 2009
*Gets in Character for this post* Its time to kick ass, and chew bubblegum... And I'm all outta gum!

I dont care one way or the other if it's good, bad, ugly, shitty, worthless, or even way overpriced.

I will have this game. I have waited 12 motherfucking years for it. I have waited through countless shitty games (Clive Barker's Jehrico, Evil Dead: Fistfull of Boomstick, Dead Space, just to name a few), and I will have my politically incorrect, testostirone-soked, MAJORLY sexist, jackass Duke. I mean, come on, it's not like he's got time to play with himself!

I will preorder it. I will get whatever Limited Edition bullshit that goes along with it. And I will play it. Again. And again. And a motherfucking gain.

Hail to the king, baby!

Duke was born to rock the world!... and by God, he WILL!

Besides, what's the worst that can happen? It turn out like Chinese Demorcacy?

Oh... wait...

Scarecrow

Jun 27, 2010
vviki said:
Ever since it's been announced that the game is finally coming out it's the center of most discussions. I talked about it with a friend, and he asked me that question, to which I replied "Always bet on Duke!". He'll get it too for the sheer epicness of something coming back after 12 years. What will you do?

Edit: Piracy is not an option and will not be accepted by this site ~Mod
The hell you on about?

There is no DNF and there never will be.

vviki

Lord of Midnless DPS
Mar 17, 2009
Scarecrow 8 said:
vviki said:
Ever since it's been announced that the game is finally coming out it's the center of most discussions. I talked about it with a friend, and he asked me that question, to which I replied "Always bet on Duke!". He'll get it too for the sheer epicness of something coming back after 12 years. What will you do?

Edit: Piracy is not an option and will not be accepted by this site ~Mod
The hell you on about?

There is no DNF and there never will be.
It was announced at PAX2010 and the game will actually be released the end of this year or the beginning of the next.

thublihnk

Jul 24, 2009
Kermi said:
thublihnk said:
Kermi said:
thublihnk said:
Kermi said:
thublihnk said:

Ohoho, how droll of you, even though I specifically said the opposite of what you stated, you claim that it is my position!

I don't think people on the Escapist should be posting things like that because that's not the nature of the site. However, Piracy is something that's happening in gaming culture right now, and discussing it's effects, it's validity and whatnot can't really happen if someone can't say that they support piracy. Some people torrent games. They're not boogeymen, they have their reasons for doing so, and they're not killing the industry.

The reason I said that by your logic the Escapist should ban anyone who doesn't like their advertisers games is because it has the exact same net effect on the company. People aren't buying their games. I would even argue that Piracy is better for a game company, because then even if they don't pay for the game, if they like it they can spread word-of-mouth, or they might spend money on merchandise for the game if they really like it.

Uberman5000

Jul 21, 2010
Naw. I haven't bought a Duke Nukem game to date, and I see no reason to change this. I don't wear enough Metallica shirts for me to give this game a second glance, really.

oldmeme

Jul 9, 2008
I'll see when it comes out. I'd consider it if the game was old style, no remorse, just badass fun, making me feel like a kid playing a game I shouldn't be again.

Otherwise, it looks 50-50 so far from the videos and screens I've seen. Could just be another Serious Sam HD with more HD and more grunge/bloom/blur/grit.

TriGGeR_HaPPy

Another Regular. ^_^
May 22, 2008
Once it's a little cheaper?... I know there's a very high chance it'll be just another decent FPS, and nothing more.
But dammit, once it's cheaper, I know that I'll be getting it. :D

little bear

Nov 1, 2009
waiting on assassin's creed bloodlines, COD: black ops, and street fighter third strike online. so in short duke can go to hell.

I might...MIGHT borrow it from a friend of mine. provided she doesn't break me in two in response to me asking for this thing

vviki

Lord of Midnless DPS
Mar 17, 2009
diego_2112 said:
*Gets in Character for this post* Its time to kick ass, and chew bubblegum... And I'm all outta gum!

I dont care one way or the other if it's good, bad, ugly, shitty, worthless, or even way overpriced.

I will have this game. I have waited 12 motherfucking years for it. I have waited through countless shitty games (Clive Barker's Jehrico, Evil Dead: Fistfull of Boomstick, Dead Space, just to name a few), and I will have my politically incorrect, testostirone-soked, MAJORLY sexist, jackass Duke. I mean, come on, it's not like he's got time to play with himself!

I will preorder it. I will get whatever Limited Edition bullshit that goes along with it. And I will play it. Again. And again. And a motherfucking gain.

Hail to the king, baby!

Duke was born to rock the world!... and by God, he WILL!

Besides, what's the worst that can happen? It turn out like Chinese Demorcacy?

Oh... wait...
That's the spirit I'm looking for. Get it no matter what, it is Duke Nukem after all. Always bet on him!

vviki

Lord of Midnless DPS
Mar 17, 2009
SomebodyNowhere said:
if there is a PC demo I'll give that a go and then make my final decision afterward
Not a downloadable demo yet, but there is footage of people playing it at PAX2010. 2 videos here:

http://www.gametrailers.com/game/duke-nukem-forever/360?show=Gameplay#Content