Poll: Will you buy Far Cry 2?

Flour

Mar 20, 2008
corroded post=9.74626.842938 said:
Flour post=9.74626.842894 said:
With DRM you are 'renting' the game.
What games companies miss is when I buy their product I am not buying a license, I'm buying a disc with a copy of that game on it. Their say on what happens with it stops when its on a disk. Not when I install it and it tells me that it requires and internet connection, that it can only be installed so many times, what software I can have installed on my machine.
Just saying how some game companies see it.
Heck, depending on where you live, things like SecuRom are not even allowed to be installed because it was not part of the "agreement" you made when buying the product. The product(game) has to have a visible message saying "protected with X" or "5 installations possible"

Credge

Apr 12, 2008
CmdrGoob post=9.74626.842913 said:
You get an install back when you unistall. So uninstall it before you upgrade...
And this completely misses the point and doesn't actually respond to anything I said.

Lets say I install the game on my current PC. This counts as one install and one PC counter. Lets say I uninstall the game without adding anything extra. I get one install back. It said absolutely nothing about getting the PC counter back. If this DRM is anything like any other DRM (it's exactly the same), every time you put another part in your PC, it counts against your install/PC counter.

If you don't see how upgrading your PC can be a problem, then I feel sorry for you.

And, as I said...

In other words, they are indirectly dictating upgrades to your PC.
So lets say that every game over the next 3 years is like that. Do you know how many PC games I have pre-ordered currently? 4, all are being released in the next month. This quarter I will have bought 8 PC games. In three years I imagine I will have bought close to 24 PC games, all of which, for the most part, will be installed. Do you honestly expect me to uninstall 24 PC games before I stick a new part in my computer? Do you honestly expect me to remember to do that after not doing that for 15 years?

Turn this around on any other product and it just doesn't work.

Imagine having to call in to your car manufacturer before replacing the oil.

Imagine having to call your cable company before getting a new T.V.

Imagine having to call your skateboard manufacturer before replacing an old pair of trucks, or wheels, or bearings.

Imagine having to call the water company each time you flush the toilet, both before and after.

Things like that just don't fly in any other business. The music industry is dumping their DRM stuff in a hurry, the movie industry has dumped what small amount of DRM they had, and the same thing will happen to video games. It doesn't prevent those that pirate the game from getting or pirating the game (Far Cry 2 can already be stolen... and it hasn't even hit stores in my area yet) and it makes the experience for those that legally bought the game and support the company to be worse than those that did not.

It's completely backwards.

Credge

Apr 12, 2008
Double post, but it's needed.

I want to point out that at this very second over 50,000 people are pirating Far Cry 2. 10,000 people are pirating a US XBOX 360 version and 40,000 people are pirating it for PC.

DRM and SecuRom don't do a thing. Nothing. At. All.

Bluntknife

Sep 8, 2008
dukethepcdr post=9.74626.842837 said:
I've decided to boycot all future games made by Crytec. Their unrealisticly high system requirements have made me upgrade and fiddle with my PC to try to make their games play smoothly for the last time. I did it with Crysis and Far Cry, but never again. I never did get either of those two games to play as smoothly as they are supposed to without turning down the graphics settings. Their games are notorious for bringing even the really expensive gaming rigs to their knees. How pointless. A shooter game is a shooter game and doesn't need graphics that stinking complex to be a good game.
Its actuly made by Ubisoft with the dunia engine,
there is actuly no reason at all to name it far cry2, completely differant story line, differant place and differant engine.
but what the hell right? it looks awesome

CmdrGoob

Oct 5, 2008
Credge post=9.74626.843167 said:
CmdrGoob post=9.74626.842913 said:
You get an install back when you unistall. So uninstall it before you upgrade...
And this completely misses the point and doesn't actually respond to anything I said.

Lets say I install the game on my current PC. This counts as one install and one PC counter. Lets say I uninstall the game without adding anything extra. I get one install back. It said absolutely nothing about getting the PC counter back. If this DRM is anything like any other DRM (it's exactly the same), every time you put another part in your PC, it counts against your install/PC counter.

If you don't see how upgrading your PC can be a problem, then I feel sorry for you.

And, as I said...

In other words, they are indirectly dictating upgrades to your PC.
So lets say that every game over the next 3 years is like that. Do you know how many PC games I have pre-ordered currently? 4, all are being released in the next month. This quarter I will have bought 8 PC games. In three years I imagine I will have bought close to 24 PC games, all of which, for the most part, will be installed. Do you honestly expect me to uninstall 24 PC games before I stick a new part in my computer? Do you honestly expect me to remember to do that after not doing that for 15 years?

Turn this around on any other product and it just doesn't work.

Imagine having to call in to your car manufacturer before replacing the oil.

Imagine having to call your cable company before getting a new T.V.

Imagine having to call your skateboard manufacturer before replacing an old pair of trucks, or wheels, or bearings.

Imagine having to call the water company each time you flush the toilet, both before and after.

Things like that just don't fly in any other business. The music industry is dumping their DRM stuff in a hurry, the movie industry has dumped what small amount of DRM they had, and the same thing will happen to video games. It doesn't prevent those that pirate the game from getting or pirating the game (Far Cry 2 can already be stolen... and it hasn't even hit stores in my area yet) and it makes the experience for those that legally bought the game and support the company to be worse than those that did not.

It's completely backwards.
Here's the official statement:
# You have 5 activations on 3 separate PCs.
# Uninstalling the game "refunds" an activation. This process is called "revoke", so as long as you complete proper uninstall you will be able to install the game an unlimited number of times on 3 systems.
# You can upgrade your computer as many time as you want (using our revoke system)
# Ubisoft is committed to the support of our games, and additional activations can be provided.
# Ubisoft is committed to the long term support of our games: you'll always be able to play Far Cry 2.
So yes, I understand that to mean that you get do get the PC counter back.

And uninstalling it before upgrading is annoying but not as hard as you make it to be. Before you stick the new part in, go to 'Add or Remove programs' and scroll through the list and uninstall the games.

Flatlander57

Oct 15, 2008
Get VMWare
It creates a virtual environment in which it installs a program, and lets you delete the program so that its as if it was never on your computer. No registry changes, nothing.

Credge

Apr 12, 2008
CmdrGoob post=9.74626.843218 said:
So yes, I understand that to mean that you get do get the PC counter back.

And uninstalling it before upgrading is annoying but not as hard as you make it to be. Before you stick the new part in, go to 'Add or Remove programs' and scroll through the list and uninstall the games.
I don't see how you could understand it that way.

With the system you can upgrade your PC an unlimited number of times as the only time it actually >checks< anything is when you install or uninstall. If you install the game, you can upgrade your PC an infinite number of times as it won't do any more checking.

Since the statement doesn't address getting your PC counters back, I'm going to assume that you don't get PC counters back just like every other DRM on the planet.

And, again, if you compare this to anything else on the planet it doesn't make sense.

It's 100% backwards. If you fail to understand that then there's nothing that can really be done.

Cyclomega

Jul 28, 2008
#69 It still is unnecessary, pointlessly coercitive, and I can bet that :

#You have 5 activations on 3 separate PCs.
# Uninstalling the game "refunds" an activation. This process is called "revoke", so as long as you complete proper uninstall you will be able to install the game an unlimited number of times on 3 systems.
# You can upgrade your computer as many time as you want (using our revoke system)
Does not count changing the motherboard (which effectively would make it a new PC, except is they diffentiate machines by the Windows Key... mh... anyway this is retarded...

CmdrGoob

Oct 5, 2008
"You can upgrade your computer as many time as you want (using our revoke system)"

If it didn't check anything when you upgraded, then you wouldn't need to use the revoke system.

The announcement seems to trace back to here [http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1521068375/m/3981062496/p/5], so there's more info there. Here's a Q&A fielded by a UK community managemer:

Say I was to have the game installed on three systems, be it one at a time or all at once, and one or all of these systems became outdated. If I revoked the activation on each computer would I then be able to use a different three computers, or is the rule that once it is on 3, those are the only 3 it will EVER be on.
Every time you revoke the activation you can install the game on a different machine. So yes, you could uninstall/revoke on three then put it on three completely different machines.

Credge

Apr 12, 2008
My question and the response from the Ubi forums.

If my hard drive crashes and I need a new hard drive, will a new install on a new hard drive count as a different PC?

Yes - but there 'should be' a way to revoke the crashed HDD install remotely - >awaiting more details on this.<

______

There should be does not mean that there will.

My worries are real. Your assumption that it will be your way is poor, especially with the knowledge of how past DRM works.

Edit: In other words, if my HDD crashes, there's little I can do to get a reactivation back. This means that each time your HDD crashes, you've lost a reactivation and will never be able to get it back, resulting in a lock on one of the PC counters.

What he is talking about, with the "should be able to" is the ability to send your HDD to a company to, for lack of a better word, revive your HDD... which is expensive.

Cyclomega

Jul 28, 2008
Sometimes you can save your HDD yourself, it just needs a new MBR and your Windows CD can do that.

Credge

Apr 12, 2008
Cyclomega post=9.74626.843388 said:
Sometimes you can save your HDD yourself, it just needs a new MBR and your Windows CD can do that.
And the inconvenience of it all can be completely ignored if you get the game illegally.

And this is why DRM is poor.

Cyclomega

Jul 28, 2008
Since I won't give a *CENSORED*-lynching fcuk about FarCry 2, I was merely talking technicalities and comfort of DIY computer maintenance, most of the time it's easier than you think...

Anyway if my PC can run it, maybe I'll "get" it, but I highly doubt I'd churn out the money on my 360, or maybe for 5 bucks discount clearance like I got FarCry Instincts on XBox, which in fact I like a lot less than 007 Agent Under Fire and Nightfire (you read it right, vaguely par Bond games got me better than FarCry).

Credge

Apr 12, 2008
Oh my.

The only thing that interests me about Far Cry 2 is the ability to choose how I want to do missions.

That, and a true open world FPS.