Poll: Witcher or Oblivion?

The Big Boss

Apr 4, 2011
Having been a HUGE Tes fan for years i was surprised to find that when i recently started playing The Witcher i actually liked it a LOT more than Oblivion. It had a far more engaging story and more rewarding gameplay and when i finished it i found that i could probably never enjoy Oblivion again, it just seems crap to me now. Sorry guys.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
My first question is this: Did you ever mod Oblivion?

Still, I don't think the comparison is quite deserved. The games are about as different as WRPGs of the same era get. They're trying to bring forth very different experiences, and unlike, say, comparing FF8 to Legend of Dragoon, The Witcher and Oblivion are so different that making one more like the other in an attempt to "improve" the game would alter the fundamentals of what makes it what it is.

If you want to debate the quality of Oblivion as a game experience, I'd suggest leave The Witcher out of it.

Most importantly, if you are enjoying the Witcher, go have fun with it. You also have Oblivion, so you can enjoy both titles at your leisure. What is the problem?

flaming_squirrel

Jun 28, 2008
Oblivion all the way, The Witcher was a load of tedious, immature, repetitive crap.
With horrible characters.

I managed to get half way through the city area (third part?) before uninstalling and refusing to play it ever again.

Oblivion on the other hand got me playing for hundreds of hours with endless vanilla and mod related fun.

The Witcher is honestly one of the worst RPG's I've ever played, cannot for the life of me understand the appeal.

The Big Boss

Apr 4, 2011
There's no problem, i was just wondering if anyone else felt this way. And yes, i modded Oblivion and while i had fun with it at the time i just find its gameplay and story dull in retrospect.

That said i'll probably still end up pouring countless hours into Skyrim.

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
I had to say I liked The Witcher more. I always choose games with a good story and characters. And the atmosphere was just so immersive. Mostly thanks to the music.

flaming_squirrel

Jun 28, 2008
ImprovizoR said:
I had to say I liked The Witcher more. I always choose games with a good story.
I really want to understand this as I'm clearly insane for just not 'getting' The Witcher.

In what way is the plot good?
From what I can remember it was "evil dudes killed your friends now spend 70 hours doing completely unrelated tasks with thoroughly unlikeable characters which feels depressingly similar to grinding in WoW".

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
It depends on whether you want a well-written, compelling, and atmospheric game or Morrowind: bland clone-brush edition.

Incomer

Sep 15, 2009
Oblivion had some kind of the story? There were some oblivion gates that were making people nervous so I shut down like 10 of 'em and nothing changed. Then I did some quests in the cities which had no meaning and got bored (and angry because of the wasted time.Besides RPG game where lvling up has no real purpose since everything is getting stronger together with you is weird (since you dont feel stronger unless you are focusing on some mysterious perfectly though through plan). 3 years later awesome mods come allowing you to go all kinds of crazy... eh no thx, the game already had its chance.

In first witcher I like overall story and fact that I read some books also helped (always nice to see familiar faces). Last part was totally retarded (mutants >_<) while the first (not including Prologue in Kaer Morhen) was too slow.

The Big Boss

Apr 4, 2011
flaming_squirrel said:
ImprovizoR said:
I really want to understand this as I'm clearly insane for just not 'getting' The Witcher.

From what I can remember it was "evil dudes killed your friends now spend 70 hours doing completely unrelated tasks with thoroughly unlikeable characters which feels depressingly similar to grinding in WoW".
Are you serious? Oblivion had an epic opening, i'll give it that. But after that it's just meaningless sidequest galore in a huge open sandbox world with no real story driving it forward at all.

steinsvi

Sep 27, 2010
Personally, I feel that the sidequests in Witcher are actually rewarding as the make me better equipped to deal with the rest of the game. (skinner box reference) In Morrowind, this only means you'll be facing tougher enemies. There is no point to leveling up.

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
flaming_squirrel said:
ImprovizoR said:

From what I can remember it was "evil dudes killed your friends now spend 70 hours doing completely unrelated tasks with thoroughly unlikeable characters which feel depressingly similar to grinding in WoW".
Choice and consequences, basically. You're trying to track this guy down, but the theme of the game is choosing the lesser evil, and it does a pretty good job of exploring that. You have the standard "choose the lesser evil" in regards to stuff like witch hunts and picking sides in a conflict, but it's also explored in the context of stuff like parenting.

It's entirely possible you played the bad translation, too. Several English versions (I.E., not the "expanded edition") cut out about 30% of the dialogue, and it shows.

Incomer

Sep 15, 2009
flaming_squirrel said:
If you actually bothered to read (or listen to) some of those longer dialogues you might find out that there are no "GOOD" characters in the witcher. Everybody wants something...

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
steinsvi said:
Personally, I feel that the sidequests in Witcher are actually rewarding as the make me better equipped to deal with the rest of the game. (skinner box reference) In Morrowind, this only means you'll be facing tougher enemies. There is no point to leveling up.
Morrowind actually doesn't do this - Oblivion is the one with the treadmill leveling system. In Morrowind, the right early find can actually make a huge difference in how powerful your character is.

Alucard788

May 1, 2011
Oblivion for me. I prefer the way that elves are treated in that game.

..never liked how elves were treated in The Witcher...I felt so sorry for them.

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
Alucard788 said:

Not sure if serious...

(But for the record, even if I think that the elves are as banal/boring as everything else in Oblivion, they're awesome in Morrowind. Having a bunch of Dunmer calling you "outlander" or worse really adds to the atmosphere of that game.)

Alucard788

May 1, 2011
Kahunaburger said:
Alucard788 said:

Not sure if serious...

(But for the record, even if I think that the elves are as banal/boring as everything else in Oblivion, they're awesome in Morrowind. Having a bunch of Dunmer calling you "outlander" or worse really adds to the atmosphere of that game.)
I am serious. I'd rather have the Elves be more integrated into society, and at the least, accepted or slightly dominant culturally...than hunted and oppressed like in The Witcher.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
Well Oblivion was shit so obviously The Witcher is better. But even then, it wasn't awesome. Witcher 2, though, is significantly better than either.

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
Alucard788 said:
Kahunaburger said:
Alucard788 said:

Not sure if serious...

I am serious. I'd rather have the Elves be more integrated into society, and at the least, accepted or slightly dominant culturally...than hunted and oppressed like in The Witcher.
Why? I guess I'm confused as to exactly why you decide whether you like a game or not based on how fictional people treat other fictional people.