Poll: Witcher or Oblivion?

XzarTheMad

Oct 10, 2008
I found the Witcher incredibly boring.
The gameplay was very samey, involved massive amounts of running to and fro with randomly spawning baddies that had me stop every ten feet for another pointless, unrewarding battle. The story, so far as I could make it out, was trivial and unoriginal, the whole "sex card" deal was silly and pointless, Gerard as a character was flat and predictably "edgy", and the whole game felt a LOT like a port, despite being the very opposite (PC exclusive, if memory serves).

On the other hand, I found Oblivion fantastic. A ton of side quests (although, if you judge it by the main storyline (AKA ~3% of the content) it was somewhat clichéd), interesting dungeons and locations, a wide and easily available set of skills, and a lot of added content through DLCs, like the Knights of the Nine campaign, and Shivering Isles.

To me, the witcher is on par with what bioware produces, which to me is generic, boring RPGs that re-use the same set pieces over and over again. The Elder Scrolls have, to me, set itself apart by building and expanding, through a virtual TON of in-game lore and spanning four games, a massive backdrop and world, complete with different, overlapping and self-referential pantheons, ten races with each a unique and interwoven background and story that explains their nature, and just generally a bigger, better and more fleshed out game world.

It may take a while to get into Oblivion compared to The Witcher. Having played Morrowind first probably helped (helps?), but in the end I would take Oblivion over the Witcher any day of the week.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
I prefer Oblivion as it's more open, but that's simply the style. No one really does that as well as TES. The Witcher's never really lived up to what people have had to say about it, it just felt a bit dull when I got around to playing it, the world didn't feel as well realised as TES.

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
Yay for another opportunity for everyone to show their terrible taste in games. I use the term "game" loosely here. Oblivion is more of a hiking simulator.

KelseyKieber

Jul 4, 2011
Oblivion. I spent hours and hours trying to complete all the content in Oblivion before I started modding, and it was really good fun.

kyogen

Feb 22, 2011
The Witcher...by far

I like Oblivion, though I only play the Nehrim conversion now, but it was always just a big fantasy sandbox. Like Morrowind and Skyrim, it's a fantastic gaming achievement, but it's still just jump in/jump out for me.

The Witcher, on the other hand, contains a story and characters I can really get invested in, an alchemy system I adore, an inventive (if also rather odd) combat system, beautifully crafted environments, great writing, and a stat-management system that's at least partly integrated into the gameplay and justified by the lore.

Jazoni89

Dec 24, 2008
The Witcher took me a record breaking five minutes to hate it.

Why may you ask? the Combat...

"What is hell is this shit!" springs to mind when I saw the main character raise his sword for a mouse click input.

Worst combat system ever! I hate combat systems that totally take away control from the player, that's why I'm not huge on most MMO's.

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
Jazoni89 said:

"What is hell is this shit!" springs to mind when I saw the main character raise his sword for a mouse click input.

Worst combat system ever! I hate combat systems that totally take away control from the player, that's why I'm not huge on most MMO's.
Yeah, I hate having to make decisions in combat. Fortunately in Oblivion I can just mash LMB until the bad things go away and get back to hiking.

Jazoni89

Dec 24, 2008
Kahunaburger said:
Jazoni89 said:

Yeah, I hate having to make decisions in combat. Fortunately in Oblivion I can just mash LMB until the bad things go away and get back to hiking.
Oblivion's combat is really shallow I agree, but I much prefer it to the one-click fest that is the Witcher.

The_Lost_King

Oct 7, 2011
I have only played the witcher 2, but I prefer the Elder scrolls games by a lot. When it crashes I almost think, thank god I can stop playing. I enjoyed da2 more, which is saying something.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
The Witcher was an immature mess. I don't like having to close myself in the bedroom because I don't want my family hearing the constant cursing. We aren't trailer trash (not that I am saying any of you are, the devs maybe) and we don't have potty mouths so we don't want our games to be like that either. The sex stuff was just dumb. Adults don't need to see that, it's kids who make a big deal out of T&A.

The Witcher is a good example of why mature content is anything but.

Oblivion, on the other hand, managed to get through 100 hours without making me worry about my family walking in on "mature" content.

Savagezion

Mar 28, 2010
flaming_squirrel said:
Oblivion all the way, The Witcher was a load of tedious, immature, repetitive crap.
With horrible characters.
This cracked me up and single-handedly made clicking on this thread worth it. What exactly sets Oblivion apart?

flaming_squirrel

Jun 28, 2008
Savagezion said:
flaming_squirrel said:
Oblivion all the way, The Witcher was a load of tedious, immature, repetitive crap.
With horrible characters.
This cracked me up and single-handedly made clicking on this thread worth it. What exactly sets Oblivion apart?
Doesnt have a grey haired prat named Gerald in it for starters.

That game tries so hard to be SUPER SRS N MATURE that it goes full circle into comic book levels of stupid.

Also, this thread was from 2011, someone here is guilty of necromancy.

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
Crono1973 said:
The Witcher was an immature mess. I don't like having to close myself in the bedroom because I don't want my family hearing the constant cursing. We aren't trailer trash (not that I am saying any of you are, the devs maybe) and we don't have potty mouths so we don't want our games to be like that either. The sex stuff was just dumb. Adults don't need to see that, it's kids who make a big deal out of T&A.

The Witcher is a good example of why mature content is anything but.

Oblivion, on the other hand, managed to get through 100 hours without making me worry about my family walking in on "mature" content.
Wait, you buy M-rated games and then get mad at them because they have content unsuitable for children?

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
I love The Witcher. I thought that Oblivion was dull. Everything besides graphics was forgettable. A lot of people stopped playing The Witcher because it takes too damn long to get to the fun part. And that's true. I gave up on it twice before deciding to play for the third time all the way. And I didn't regret it. It's one of the best RPG games I've ever played, and I mostly play RPG's so that's saying something. Immediately after finishing it I wanted to replay it.

Jazoni89

Dec 24, 2008
Jazoni89 said:

The Witcher has these two pieces of gold in its soundtrack. Your argument is invalid.

So...what of it.

That Doesn't instantly save it from having a terrible combat system.

However, I have seen the combat for the Witcher 2, and it looks a whole lot better.

I would try it out, but the optimisation issues and bottlenecks on my PC will probably make it chuck along at a snails pace.

I need another Processor, not this Dual Core crap with hyperthreading which was falsely advertised as a Quad Core, damn you Comet!