Poll: Would you accept immortality?

notebook_holder

Apr 16, 2009
If anything. I believe most homeless people are immortal. Think about it, no one knows about them or half the time no one even cares. So wouldn't that be the perfect person to be immortal. At first they seemed liked it was a cool thing to do but in reality it just became too much for them so they just collapsed.

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
yes I,m curious about the future and maybe they will find ways to fix problems like lacking evolution.

Ranorak

Tamer of the Coffee mug!
Feb 17, 2010
Oh hells yes!

"So, for the first century I'll go easy on everyone, lure them into a false sense of security. And then when they think I'm not so bad, BAMN I'll go full tyrant on them in the second century. After that, I'll disappear for a millennia, make them wonder if I ever existed to begin with. Just to come back and kill them all."

Mr.White

Sep 17, 2009
Yes, that way I might get to play half life 3, and I can get wasted pretty much all the time (no liver failure waheeey) so I won't have to worry about remembering too much, and I could become a cage fighter and my son (me after I stop dying my hair grey) can be my successor.

Also I might be able to party with Charlie Sheen and keep up.

BOOM headshot65

Jul 7, 2011
Yes, I would take Immortality, but I would try to find a way to pass it on to My girlfriend. I wont live forever unless she is there with me.

Korak the Mad

Nov 19, 2010
I had already thought of those types of conditions that most people don't even think about, a long time ago concerning about this type of question.

I will never want to be immortal, for the reason that you will never forget how everything will eventually be destroyed by the ravages of time, yet you stay the same.

You would go insane after a few thousand years, and would regret your mistake of eating that cursed thing.

mgirl

Mar 29, 2011
Yes, I have to say I probably would. It's an enticing prospect, being able to live how I want with no repercussions for myself.

But then, I would probably regret it eventually.

sjrskl

Mar 30, 2010
seeing as the green kool-aid man comes from the future it is entirely possible that in the future more people can become immortal, time travel is possible and for some reason you were singled out. that could mean you're a test subject or it could mean you are somehow vital for something which would make things more interesting. seeing as time travel is possible you can go back to when your friends and family were alive and see them again, it also means you don't have to experience most of the bad things described in the cracked article. if you are a test subject you can expect the people from the future to at least keep an eye out for you so you don't get stuck for eternity. so there; if your definition of the events are what you described there are no real problems with it and the fact that time travel is possible and those gummi bears had to be created somewhere/time shows that you won't be alone and/or doomed to insanity. seeing as life seems interesting enough to stick around for i would say hell yes.

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
The only way I would take that offer is if invulnerability didn't come with it. I'd prefer to be able to die at some point, and if I'm immune to age and disease, then I want to have someone be able to end me somehow.

RejjeN

Aug 12, 2009
@people saying they will fuck the government up because of them being immortal.

Invincibility won't help you none when a SWAT team (or some equivalent) holds you down. Invincible doesn't mean untouchable, so have fun spending eternity in a cell somewhere while being a lab rat until humanity inevitably destroys itself.

Ninonybox_v1legacy

Apr 2, 2008
Well seeing as how I am a Protestant I have to decline, I would enjoy going to heaven. I also have some plans for up there and I really have to die to get the ball rolling. However if I knew there was no heaven and no afterlife, I would take it in a heartbeat.

Monsterfurby

Mar 7, 2008
The first few caveats are pretty much null and void:

1. By being immortal and invulnerable, you are essentially evolution personified. You are the endpoint of evolution. Evolution is all about survival, and by being able to survive EVERYTHING, nothing can evolve past you.

2. So what? Again, you are not only immortal, but also invulnerable and largely pain resistant. There is effectively nothing keeping you from strolling into the white house, telling the president you'd like to know how those nukes work and then dictating your demands to the world. The only reason the government has power is because they have a monopoly on using force, and as soon as that becomes a non-factor, they have lost their authority.

3. This actually is a good point. One could try to find some way to induce amnesia every century or so in order to keep your brain working. Since you can't die, you can try out many ways of achieving this.

4. The way I see it, one has to expect all friends and loved ones to die before them anyway (though I would not hope so). This is not much of a change from that assumption.

5. Not necessarily. It depends on your view of the future. I assume that mankind will eventually manage to leave this planet and expand to other places. Also, as long as you stay involved in a community, no one will just "forget" you either.

So ultimately, with the right outlook, it seems like a pretty good deal. Also, you might just have completely crushed my original plans for NaNoWriMo and given me an idea for a new project...

phantasmalWordsmith

Oct 5, 2010
Okay I'm just spit balling here; can I take a sharp knife and cut the little gummi bear in half (IT CAN BE DONE!) and share it with my significant other? If she wanted to be immortal, we'd be immortal together. If she didn't we'll die and grow old together. Simple as

TyrantGanado

Oct 21, 2009
Invincibility too? Oh hell to the yes.

Imagine the money to be made mwahahahahaha.

Ahem. Yes. Yes I would accept.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
RejjeN said:
Invincibility won't help you none when a SWAT team (or some equivalent) holds you down. Invincible doesn't mean untouchable, so have fun spending eternity in a cell somewhere while being a lab rat until humanity inevitably destroys itself.
And once they're done, do you think they'll want you walking around?

Oh no, we seem to have accidentally dropped you into a big hole, and now we've accidentally poured concrete into the hole. Well, if you're lucky you'll eventually enter a catatonic state from the under-stimulation, but otherwise enjoy the next few thousand years..

That's if they even work out you're immortal, otherwise you'll just get life in prison being violently rammed at a 0.3 volume.

It's tempting. I'd take practically any fixed number, but actually forever.. Jesus no. Anything you did or enjoyed would eventually be obliviated by the number of years you'd spent freezing to death in space or being crushed by a singularity at 0.3 volume.

RemuValtrez

Sep 14, 2011
Even with everything that they pointed out in that article, I would still probably take it. I find the idea of what the future holds to be fascinating. And a chance to see it all go by would be a gift in itself. Overall I would say the benefits outweigh the problems that might arise.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
1. Evolution will turn you into a freak: Over thousands of years something better, stronger, faster, and smarter will likely develop from humans, leaving you left behind as a freak.
That's not how evolution work.
Evolution is survival of the fittest, not strongest.
Sometimes, being smaller is better.
Besides, with all the conveniences of modern life, and the fact we've bypassed survival of the fittest to a large degree, humankind will likely evolve into small, weak, hairless men that can't survive a day without technology to feed him.

teeth

Nov 22, 2009
I dunno its depends if you still need to eat and if pain still effects you in the same way. A man who dose not need food, sleep or shelter would be a truly free one, from human society at least since you wouldn't be paying for bills or taxes. You could just pick a direction and start walking exploring the world only needing new cloths and finding ways around boarder check points.

Id be tempted if I was given an option to end my immortally and die when Iv had enough I would take it

Vicious Jester

Oct 21, 2011
Of course I would.. but not publicly no. That would open up a whole new bag of worms and conflicts *Weapon X projects comes into mind.* For some strange reason, whenever there's something precious and good in this world.. some moronic government always tries to use it for their own means/agendas, while convincing it's own citizens that YOUR existence threatens them and their way of life *WTF that means*, and that your imprisonment it is for the greater good.

Paranoid people eat this up and fuel these morons with any necessities and requests they want.. allowing them to pretty much prob and probe you until they are satisfied. After that, they will either kill you *by now, they would've figured out a way* or use you.

So all and all, Yay on immortality and Nay on publicity.