Poll: Would you date a transgendered person?

jedizero

Feb 26, 2009
Spy_Guy said:
So, obtaining consent on false grounds could get you charged with harassment.
Personally, I'd rather avoid the problem outright by imposing laws that reconstructed genitals must be marked with a tattoo, or similar.
CONGRATULATIONS!

You have just made it easier to point out, and ostracize people because they are different. Leading ultimately to harassment, threats, and even murder. Based solely upon the fact that they are different.

Who would have guessed adopting tactics that Nazi Germany chose to follow would backfire so spectacularly?

Yeah, sure. It'd be kind of nice to know, but this...this is destroying any potential privacy the subject may have. The point is, sleeping with someone who is Transgendered won't ruin your life. It won't 'turn you gay', it won't do anything. It is ultimately harmless to you, and may even be enjoyable. If you thought someone was attractive enough to have sex with, then it was your choice, and you can bloody well deal with it, without trying to hurt so many other people.

Versuvius

Apr 30, 2008
Da_Vane said:
Kendarik said:
Montezuma said:
Kendarik said:
orangeban said:
MTF people are women.
No, they aren't. They like to call themselves that and they feel that, but they are no more a woman than an 85lb anorexic is fat. Both may believe it with all their heart, but its still not true.
I assume you consider yourself a straight man. For the sake of argument, lets assume you believe this. Well, you're not. You're in fact a homosexual, no matter how much you claim to be straight, you cant change the fact that you're gay. You are not straight, nor will you ever be straight. You may believe it with all your heart, but its still not true.

How does it feel to be treated this way?
Your assumption about me is about as far from correct as possible lol.

But, assuming for the moment I was a straight man in that scenario... your comparison is silly. Only you can say what you feel emotionally, I don't deny that trans people feel the way they do. The question of changing sex however is physical and can be verified by medical examination. Their gender didn't change. Their chromosomes didn't change. They just had cosmetic surgery and hormones to mimic what they would like to be.
snip

I don't think he knows bodubuilders taking steroids will develop breasts and lactate. I expect he is also 12.

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
Melanie McGreevey said:
ya wow! I mean, what's next marks for people of different faiths? political standing? I can't believe someone in this day and age would have such an archaic idea.
Aye, even more so when we all know how well it worked out in the past.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/12/Auschwitz_survivor_displays_tattoo_detail.jpg

But I guess that's being PC. Shame on me.

Edit: Before someone raises the issue... It's not a massive surge of Godwin's Law. Or rather, the Godwin's Law arguement had held any water whatsoever if there wasn't such a blatant reason for it. Sometimes, it's a rather accurate comparison.

MrMixelPixel

Jul 7, 2010
Absolutely.

I find cross dressers pretty attractive. Dating a transgender person would be pretty cool.

The only reason I wouldn't is because I currently have a girlfriend =P

Diddy_Mao

Jan 14, 2009
Off the top of my head I'd probably say no.

But in all fairness I haven't been in a situation where I'd have to make that decision.

I've had TG friends before, I don't have an issue with the choice, or lifestyle or whatever the correct term is. If I'm being perfectly honest my complete lack of give-a-shit has been a bigger point of contention than anything else.

But that's a subject for a different discussion.

Jan 13, 2012
no no no no no. I would not. I have nothing against transgendered people. I'm sure they're nice and everything (I have yet to meet one) but it's the same reason why I would'nt date a person with downs sydrome or a gay person (again i'm sure their nice and everything) but its just not who i am. Besides i'm to prejudice and to picky. I haven't even had a gf yet for those very reasons (I'm 15, leave me alone). Again nothing against them and i apologise if i caused offense.

MartianWarMachine

Neon-pink cyber-kitty
Dec 10, 2010
Melanie McGreevey said:
Exactly! Ya know, i think i am done here. I am burned out on the hate, misunderstanding, and uneducated assumptions. Good luck to those who stick around. Be well ALL.
Nooo! You can't leave without a hug! *Hugs* ^-^

Da_Vane

Dec 31, 2007
Dellaudis said:
Da_Vane said:
It has been disproven that there is a difference between a male to female transsexual and a female on a genetic level. While this may not be every case, it only needs one exception to disprove flawed logic, and there have been exceptions.
I'm sorry, I don't follow. Mind explaining this part a bit more?
Certainly. Under the rules of logic, it only takes a single exception to disprove a rule. If you say something like "All Bings are Bongs" then it only takes one example where a Bing is not a Bong to disprove that rule.

Kendarik argued that MtF transsexuals may say they are women, but will never be women, and is inferring this is a case for all MtF transsexuals. This is a gross overgeneralization, since I have already stated the case of the sheer diversity of the transgender community, to which the poll refers to, of which transsexuals are actually a subset, even though the causes of transsexuality are just as equally just as diverse.

Thus, as long as one example exists where there isn't a genetic difference between a female a male to female transsexual, I can logically refute Kendarik's argument. Such an example does indeed exist.

There is a condition based on the inability of the body to register certain sex hormones. It exists in both a form which fails to register androgens (male sex hormones) and gynogens (female sex hormones) the result is that regardless of the sex chromosomes the person actually has, this insensitivity will cause the individual to grow either female or male, respectively. It is not unheard of for patients suffering from this condition to become transsexual, albeit with some difficulty, since the hormonal insensitivity is an obvious issue that needs working around.

Thus, you have a male to female transsexual who is genetically identical to a genetic female. At least, genetically identical as far as the sex chromosomes are concerned. It could be argued they are not exactly genetically identical, but unless you are expecting to be dealing with genetically identical twins, chances are any argument based on this level of genetically identical subjects is going to be virtually impossible.

That said, given the nature of shared environments in the womb and hormonal imbalances, identical twins do actually tend to result in a slightly increased number of homosexual males and male to female transsexuals. There's not enough samples to do a real study on this though.

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
Versuvius said:
Da_Vane said:
Kendarik said:
Montezuma said:
Kendarik said:
orangeban said:
MTF people are women.
No, they aren't. They like to call themselves that and they feel that, but they are no more a woman than an 85lb anorexic is fat. Both may believe it with all their heart, but its still not true.
I assume you consider yourself a straight man. For the sake of argument, lets assume you believe this. Well, you're not. You're in fact a homosexual, no matter how much you claim to be straight, you cant change the fact that you're gay. You are not straight, nor will you ever be straight. You may believe it with all your heart, but its still not true.

But, assuming for the moment I was a straight man in that scenario... your comparison is silly. Only you can say what you feel emotionally, I don't deny that trans people feel the way they do. The question of changing sex however is physical and can be verified by medical examination. Their gender didn't change. Their chromosomes didn't change. They just had cosmetic surgery and hormones to mimic what they would like to be.
snip

I don't think he knows bodubuilders taking steroids will develop breasts and lactate. I expect he is also 12.
Breasts are a secondary sexual characteristic, and do not determine whether a person is male of female. Genetically transgenders are still their original gender, physically they are transgender. That is why they have that word, it is a qualifier, like black, white, Hebrew, Christian.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
I...don't know. I'm honestly unsure. Though, I'm inclined to say that if I were happy with them, then I'd still be happy with them. Why should happiness stop, for minor details?

Da_Vane

Dec 31, 2007
Melanie McGreevey said:
Muspelheim said:
Melanie McGreevey said:
ya wow! I mean, what's next marks for people of different faiths? political standing? I can't believe someone in this day and age would have such an archaic idea.
Aye, even more so when we all know how well it worked out in the past.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/12/Auschwitz_survivor_displays_tattoo_detail.jpg

But I guess that's being PC. Shame on me.

Exactly! Ya know, i think i am done here. I am burned out on the hate, misunderstanding, and uneducated assumptions. Good luck to those who stick around. Be well ALL.
You can't go! I just got back! I even worked on all my best X-men lines...

"Let them pass that law, Charles..."

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
Da_Vane said:
Dellaudis said:
Da_Vane said:
It has been disproven that there is a difference between a male to female transsexual and a female on a genetic level. While this may not be every case, it only needs one exception to disprove flawed logic, and there have been exceptions.
Certainly. Under the rules of logic, it only takes a single exception to disprove a rule. If you say something like "All Bings are Bongs" then it only takes one example where a Bing is not a Bong to disprove that rule.

Kendarik argued that MtF transsexuals may say they are women, but will never be women, and is inferring this is a case for all MtF transsexuals. This is a gross overgeneralization, since I have already stated the case of the sheer diversity of the transgender community, to which the poll refers to, of which transsexuals are actually a subset, even though the causes of transsexuality are just as equally just as diverse.

Thus, as long as one example exists where there isn't a genetic difference between a female a male to female transsexual, I can logically refute Kendarik's argument. Such an example does indeed exist.

There is a condition based on the inability of the body to register certain sex hormones. It exists in both a form which fails to register androgens (male sex hormones) and gynogens (female sex hormones) the result is that regardless of the sex chromosomes the person actually has, this insensitivity will cause the individual to grow either female or male, respectively. It is not unheard of for patients suffering from this condition to become transsexual, albeit with some difficulty, since the hormonal insensitivity is an obvious issue that needs working around.

Thus, you have a male to female transsexual who is genetically identical to a genetic female. At least, genetically identical as far as the sex chromosomes are concerned. It could be argued they are not exactly genetically identical, but unless you are expecting to be dealing with genetically identical twins, chances are any argument based on this level of genetically identical subjects is going to be virtually impossible.

That said, given the nature of shared environments in the womb and hormonal imbalances, identical twins do actually tend to result in a slightly increased number of homosexual males and male to female transsexuals. There's not enough samples to do a real study on this though.
Except that anyone with XY chromosomes is genetically male, even if they are born with female sexual organs

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
Uhm.

Not sure really.

I mean, I'm gay, so, obviously I'm somewhat more open to "Untraditional love".

But, a guy who used to be a girl?

Honestly, I'd rather not know. I know that sounds awful, but, I'd be much happier with the person as they are, rather than thinking about how they were and all that.

If I knew, I don't know how well I'd be able to prevent myself from over-thinking it.

Probably take some time to get used to, at the very least.

I dislike the resentment some transgender people have towards members of their original gender.

I've met a couple of M to F over my years, and a couple were very condescending towards males, acting superior due to their new-found femininity. I couldn't help but find this attitude a bit pathetic really.

MartianWarMachine

Neon-pink cyber-kitty
Dec 10, 2010
artanis_neravar said:
Da_Vane said:
Dellaudis said:
Da_Vane said:

Except that anyone with XY chromosomes is genetically male, even if they are born with female sexual organs
I think what she was trying to say (THINK, it's 3:50 am here >..<). It's possible for people like them to be transgendered, so they would be a FtM transsexual, even though they have XY chromosomes (And vice versa). So certain people's (already terrible and flawed) arguments fail (even more than they did already).

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
MartianWarMachine said:
artanis_neravar said:
Da_Vane said:
Dellaudis said:
Da_Vane said:

I think what she was trying to say (THINK, it's 3:50 am here >..<). It's possible for people like them to be transgendered, so they would be a FtM transsexual, even though they have XY chromosomes (And vice versa). So certain people's (already terrible and flawed) arguments fail (even more than they did already).
OH OK, I apologize than it's 11;00pm here and my reading comprehension is starting to go out the window, especially when it comes to walls of text.

Da_Vane

Dec 31, 2007
artanis_neravar said:
Versuvius said:
Da_Vane said:
Kendarik said:
Montezuma said:
Kendarik said:
orangeban said:
MTF people are women.

snip

Breasts are a secondary sexual characteristic, and do not determine whether a person is male of female. Genetically transgenders are still their original gender, physically they are transgender. That is why they have that word, it is a qualifier, like black, white, Hebrew, Christian.
Gender = role in society. You are transgender if you change your name and title. You can be transgender by deed poll, or putting on a dress. It is an umbrella term covering a vast range of groups, of which transsexuals are a minor part. Transgendered people include drag queens, transvestites, and the power lesbians who dress up like Mulan to get into the Army in those places where women are actually still classed as property.

The literal term transgender means to have changed gender - it is NOT a qualifier, it is a life event. Unfortunately, society is still full of bigots who won't actually accept the idea of change, whether it is for one day, or a lifetime, and therefore instead have turned it into some form of identity so that people end up stuck there waiting to escape from some sort of middle ground that will not happen while bigots continue to block their way.

There is male or female, plus whatever gender the genderqueer androgynous types decide they want to go with as their own identity. But the whole point of transgender is that they are changing or have changed from one gender to another. If you do not accept that, you are not supporting them. Stop saying you are - because you are lying to them, and yourselves, and it just makes you look like more of a retard than actually turning around and saying that you don't support them because you are bigot. At least admitting you are a bigot takes balls and means you have the courage to say what you think. But if you really think you are supporting them with your attitude of not accepting them, don't fool yourself, and make up your own damn mind already - you either do support them, in which case, accept them for who they are; or admit that you don't support them and get it over with.

It's like being ashamed for voting Republican. If you are stupid enough to think voting Republican is a GOOD choice, then at least be proud enough to believe in it, rather than trying to sit on the damn fence. It's not like anyone on the fence actually HAS any damn good arguments besides why are we actually talking about this flame-bait on the Escapist, and where can I get some more marshmellows! How did this really make 13 pages? I didn't even try trolling this one... God forbid I actually got bored enough to give a crap.

VoEC

Dec 10, 2010
MartianWarMachine said:
... it's 3:50 am here >.<
Ha, 5:00 here and still reading (I should really go to bed...).

Anyway, I think this thread showed pretty good that there are still quite a few stereotypes and misconceptions about trans people (And no, I am not talking about your opinion about whether you would date one). I hope this will change in the future, so we can all get on with our lifes.

And besides a few extremes I was quite happy to see that many people just don't care / judge the person by how they are on the inside.

Goodnight everyone, gotta sleep now...