Poll: Would you date an asexual person?

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
Kathinka said:
-Snip-
he's right though, that's the best reason to feel sad for you then. you are missing out on something uncomprehensible beautyfull that would bring love and being close to a whole new level, if you could experience it.
I'm nonsexual, not a stone.
I'm not missing out on anything except, you know, sexuality. Sexual attraction, interest, etc. My nerves don't suddenly cut off below the waist, I can still feel stuff, it is just boring to me.
I don't need to have a sex drive to have a close and loving relationship with my boyfriend, which I do have.
It could be said that the love we have is truer/purer than a relationship between two sexual people. Sex doesn't play an important role.
Perhaps I should feel sorry for others >.>

Gormers1

Apr 9, 2008
mikespoff said:
Seriously, what's the advantage of calling it a "relationship" rather than just being friends?
Well I guess some people want to be more committed? In this context I would assume were talking mainly about monogamous relationships, meaning you uh, sort of would be committed to being the bestest friend of the person youre in a relationship with.

What Im trying to say I guess is that jealousy can happen with persons in a close friendship (for instance when somebodys friend finds a lover), and a relationship could be the "solution" or assurance to that not happening?

minuialear said:
It's also kind of a selfish hurdle on the part of the sexual person. "Well I'm sexual and we're in a relationship, so that means you have to be sexual too. Deal with it." ...C'mon. Seems pretty unfair.

Or are you saying that it's selfish to not want to do something you have disinterest in (or an aversion to), but totally okay to want to force such a person to do it because you do have an interest in it?
Just to mention out the third option: the one with sexual desires in the relationship having permission to fulfill that with others.

Kathinka

Jan 17, 2010
Greyfox105 said:
Kathinka said:
-Snip-
he's right though, that's the best reason to feel sad for you then. you are missing out on something uncomprehensible beautyfull that would bring love and being close to a whole new level, if you could experience it.
I'm not missing out on anything except, you know, sexuality. Sexual attraction, interest, etc. My nerves don't suddenly cut off below the waist, I can still feel stuff, it is just boring to me.
I don't need to have a sex drive to have a close and loving relationship with my boyfriend, which I do have.
It could be said that the love we have is truer/purer than a relationship between two sexual people. Sex doesn't play an important role.
the lack of this atraction is enough to let you miss out on a lot. not being sexually interested in your partner is like having only half an relationship. sex always plays an important role in coupples, it's the biological and most basic reason people get together after all.

music is boring for a deaf person, of course. sure he can still read about it and talk about it. but he's still missing out.

Azure Sky

Dec 17, 2009
minuialear said:
Or are you saying that it's selfish to not want to do something you have disinterest in (or an aversion to), but totally okay to want to force such a person to do it because you do have an interest in it?
Woo, someone got in before me. Always good to read someones thoughts reversing the norm.

I have always found people who have an above-average sex-drive weird. It's like they live sex and nothing else. It's kinda sad really... =/
Greyfox105 said:
This describes my thoughts on the matter, to the letter.

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
Kathinka said:
-Snip-
the lack of this atraction is enough to let you miss out on a lot. not being sexually interested in your partner is like having only half an relationship. sex always plays an important role in coupples, it's the biological and most basic reason people get together after all.

music is boring for a deaf person, of course. sure he can still read about it and talk about it. but he's still missing out.
I'm sorry for you if sex is so important to you in a relationship.
But it isn't important to everyone, thankfully.
There can be love without sex. Hell, I can have sex with my boyfriend, just not interested. I can feel everything, I'm just not interested.
It would be hard for someone who has never experienced it to understand, but sex isn't that important in a relationship. Only love is. And that love can exist without sex. It can be just as strong, or stronger. The love is completely for the other person, not for what is between their legs.

Ziadaine_v1legacy

Flamboyant Homosexual
Apr 11, 2009
I wouldnt date a asexual person. When I get into a relationship I expect commitment and at 20, sex IS unavoidable which is why I wouldn't date one because I refuse to go through the shit I had with my ex 2 years ago. (Im a highly effectionate person)

Gormers1

Apr 9, 2008
Kathinka said:

That depends on how you view it. Mature couples for instance sooner or later stops having any interest in sex but they dont feel bad about it for that matter.

Kathinka

Jan 17, 2010
Greyfox105 said:
Kathinka said:
-Snip-

I'm sorry for you if sex is so important to you in a relationship.
But it isn't important to everyone, thankfully.
There can be love without sex. Hell, I can have sex with my boyfriend, just not interested. I can feel everything, I'm just not interested.
It would be hard for someone who has never experienced it to understand, but sex isn't that important in a relationship. Only love is. And that love can exist without sex. It can be just as strong, or stronger. The love is completely for the other person, not for what is between their legs.
being apreciated and found beautyfull and atracting by the person i love, and finding him atractive and apreciating his physical beauty is nothing i would consider to be bad. you would understand if you could feel the same way about someone you love.

that's another thing i wondered, how does your partner cope with that you don't find him atractive in this kind of way? i mean, he IS a guy after all (i assume) and no matter what they tell you, this kind of thing IS important for them..

Gormers1 said:
Kathinka said:

That depends on how you view it. Mature couples for instance sooner or later stops having any interest in sex but they dont feel bad about it for that matter.
lots of truth in that, though i guess it's more out of necessity/inability. i'm not saying it's all about sex, i'm just saying that it's a very important part, and the most basic one, scietificly speaking.

Squeaky

Mar 6, 2010
Not a relationship as such some snogging and flirting but i dont know what asexual people thier limit is i could live without sleeping with someone if i liked them that much but there would probly come a point when id get a little tired of it ;S.

minuialear

Jun 15, 2010
Gormers1 said:
minuialear said:
It's also kind of a selfish hurdle on the part of the sexual person. "Well I'm sexual and we're in a relationship, so that means you have to be sexual too. Deal with it." ...C'mon. Seems pretty unfair.

Just to mention out the third option: the one with sexual desires in the relationship having permission to fulfill that with others.
Anthough the original post doesn't say anything about the asexual person being opposed to that, nor does it really discuss options period, which is why I didn't mention other options. The problem I have with that post is that it seems to assume that wanting sex is fine, but not wanting sex isn't, and that kind of reasoning often comes hand-in-hand with the idea that asexuals are just "holding out" on their partners for the hell of it and are therefore "selfish" because they refuse to give sexual people the amount sex they want. My point's just that it's no more selfish to not want sex in a relationship than it is to want sex in one; both are the result of things that people mostly can't control, and while it's one thing to say you can't be compatible with a person who doesn't fit your needs and refuses to let you find other ways to fulfill them, it's another to say they're selfish only because they refuse to ignore their biology, just so they can fulfill your desires. The latter goes both ways.

LorChan

Jul 15, 2009
Yeah, sure. If I loved them I don't see why not.
We would need some kind of understanding, though, regarding the fact that I am not asexual and do not want to live with intense sexual frustration for the rest of my life, so don't be pissed at me if I have sex with someone else, just so long as I don't lie to them about it.

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
Kathinka said:
-Snip-
being apreciated and found beautyfull and atracting by the person i love, and finding him atractive and apreciating his physical beauty is nothing i would consider to be bad. you would understand if you could feel the same way about someone you love.

that's another thing i wondered, how does your partner cope with that you don't find him atractive in this kind of way? i mean, he IS a guy after all (i assume) and no matter what they tell you, this kind of thing IS important for them..
You seem to assume that I am somewhat blind.
I'm nonsexual. I have no interest in sex.
I never said I am unable to appreciate the looks of the person I love.
I love him. He could look like Quasimodo for all I care about looks, since I love him as a person, not as an object with genitalia attached for fun.
But I can appreciate the looks he does have.
As for what my boyfriend thinks, why don't you ask him yourself [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.272598-Poll-Would-you-date-an-asexual-person?page=5#10515333]?

Gormers1

Apr 9, 2008
minuialear said:
*snip*The latter goes both ways.
Well put and I agree. Just to be arguing and raise a question though: when do you think its the right time to tell a person you have interested in, that you have no interest in having sex? First date? Would it be selfish and/or manipulative to wait a little bit in hopes that the person will be more likely to stay?

Kathinka

Jan 17, 2010
Greyfox105 said:
whith atraction i obviously meant sexual atraction. but hey, whatever works for you two and makes you happy. though i'm still certain that you miss out on something which's beauty you can't comprehend.

DoomyMcDoom

Jul 4, 2008
I probably would, depends on the person... thing is the last few women I've met I've refused sex to... since they're so goddamn pushy about it... I may be closer to asexual than most people, I've lived a life of self inflicted and self enforced celibacy for years... might just be that I don't like situations being forced on me... and yeah I'm a virgin, for now... I know a few people who want me in their pants to the extent that they've spent hours begging me to come over to their place and fuck their brains out... but hey, I might take em up on the offer soon enough, depending on whether an actual emotional or at least intellectual connection forms with them as well, I don't screw people who don't even interest me... which is why I'm a virgin still, I find most people in this human race to be deplorable in their actions, irritating in their speech, and just downright retarded... which brings me to another point, I'm generally misanthropic in my views... I hate people... so yeah chances are I could die a virgin and totally not give a shit about it...

But yeah, because of my own viewpoints though I do eventually want to produce offspring, if only to see just how fucked up they are in comparison to myself when I was a child, I would have no qualms about dating someone who didn't care about sex... It might be a pleasant change from all the women who expect me to be screwing them after the first date and dump me because I didn't feel the desire to... Or after the second or third date finding out she's already fucking one of my friends or something instead... Maybe it's just cuz I have really bad luck when it comes to finding women who aren't total whores, but goddamn having someone who wasn't addicted to the idea that sex should be a dayly or at least every second day thing, even when they don't really know you, would be a nice change.

Dragonborne88

Oct 26, 2009
Eehhh...this has gotten me into problems in the past I think. I've got a very LOW libido, and never really have sex on the mind when dating somebody. I'm pretty sure that I've had a few people break up with me because of this, but that just leads me to doing it for them, which leaves me not really into it and quitting pretty early.

It doesn't help that I'm super nervous about the act itself, and have a hard time getting over that hurdle. And I've got some stupid notion in my head that sex isn't something I should throw around all the time, I want it to be saved for the person I actually want to have sex with. Not short term flings.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
No, while sex isn't everything, it certainly helps, there's no way that I would be able to suppress myself like that.

Also what is it with everyone on this site? I seriously don't believe any of you are actually asexual. Most of them I'm betting are just aint trying, haven't found the right person, are actually gay/lesbian and haven't realised it, or just haven't got their end away yet.

Not that theres anything wrong with any of those things, it just seems the asexuals on this site outnumber everyone about 2:1, it's supposed to be very rare, unless you've ACTUALLY been classed as asexual, I honestly wouldn't spout it all the time, you're just confused sexually, which is fine, or you just have a low libido, which is completely different to being asexual.

D Moness

Left the building
Sep 16, 2010
Kathinka said:
Greyfox105 said:
whith atraction i obviously meant sexual atraction. but hey, whatever works for you two and makes you happy. though i'm still certain that you miss out on something which's beauty you can't comprehend.
I feel sorry for people that think a relationship is all about sex and that sexual attraction is the most important thing in the world. I get it, it is important to you but we are not all the same.

Also why are people surprised other might not have the same interest in sex like they have (or have non at all) different people have different urges/lust/sex drives.

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
Greyfox105 said:
XDXDXDXDXD

Do we have a badge for making me spew Tampico on my TV? XDXDXD

OT: Of course I would. :D

Hell, say I was to... date Sakura~

Her overall naivete and innocence would mean absolutely no sexual interest of any kind on her part and absolutely guarantee that no sexual interaction would take place. :/

I wouldn't want it any other way~ :p