Poll: would you die for your country?

Nooh

Mar 31, 2011
If I have to die to save the country I know and love, the beautiful nation blessed by complete freedom of expression, the humane and reasonable home I live in, I would do it without question. But dying for my country, at least to me, is not about going into a war and risking my life because my government said that I should. It's about standing up for what this country represents when it is threatened for real and sticking to defending freedom above all. But that's just my two cents.

Inkulu

Dec 1, 2009
If it was needed, I would, but I'd be much happier helping someone else die for their country...

tobyornottoby

Jan 2, 2008
gabe12301 said:
If your not willing to die for it, then why live there? You obviously don't love it there very much.
I like to think of myself as a word citizen somewhat. I would die for a number of things I feel part of, but 'country' isn't one of them.

unoleian

Jul 2, 2008
Now,that's a more complicated question than these answers.

I would die for my home. I would defend my daily existence and die to protect the very ground that I hold sacred if someone were to threaten it. I don't care if it were my "own countrymen" threatening it.

Would I die for the idea of my country? Die for someone else to thinks I may need to die to protect a symbol? No, unless my home was under imminent threat.

I sincerely hope that anyone who reads this realizes that when I say home, I'm speaking of an idea that encompasses slightly more than a simple residence.

Helscreama

Nov 29, 2009
Country, yes.

Government, no.

But I'm pretty damn sure I'd fall for the patriotic fevor if we went to war...

God damnit I'm an idiot lol

Fenn

Jan 13, 2010
True nationalism is a citizen being ready and willing to lay down his life to save the the life and liberty of his nation.

eggmiester

Mar 10, 2011
nope.well, i would- if i had a choice between dying and letting ireland getting destroyed, i'd die ( although how you could end up in a situation like that is beyond me...)

but i've a question for those who would die for your country: would you do it because you feel that you have to, or because you want to? do you feel like you would be labeled as pure evil if you said you wouldn't die for your countries? because if you feel that you would sacrifice youself because you had no choice, you're wrong.

wanting to sacrifice your life for someone else should be because you choose to do it- because YOU beleive that other person ( or persons) deserve to live more than you do. you should never feel like you HAVE to do something- you should do something because you WANT to do it.

it's all down to choice people. never feel like you have to live for others- live for yourself first.

Fenn

Jan 13, 2010
Pinkamena said:
I'll let Applejack speak for me.
And I'll let this dreadnought speak for me.

http://wildcritters.ws/post/show/43308/

Get out brony.

DolorousEdd

Sep 25, 2010
What does this even mean? I know it's a common saying but who would use such language other than some patriot verging on a nationalist. I have no problem with the idea of defending a region from a terrible threat or taking decided countermeasures, and all that stuff that's also part of any fighting in a game (duh), but saying you would die for your country kind of presupposes that you must be on the jump all the time because of all those evil foreigners. That sentence is simply a hollow pretext for rightwingers (I've been asked that once in some context) and has little to do with reality.

Pinkamena

Stuck in a vortex of sexy horses
Jun 27, 2011
Tractus Vesica said:
snip

And I'll let this dreadnought speak for me.

http://wildcritters.ws/post/show/43308/

Get out brony.
You should chill. MLP content on escapist are very low, you should be able to handle a pony picture once in a blue moon. Besides, it was fitting for my response.

Also, lets keep this to PMs if you think it's necessary respond. No need to derail a thread.

Fenn

Jan 13, 2010
DolorousEdd said:
What does this even mean? I know it's a common saying but who would use such language other than some patriot verging on a nationalist. I have no problem with the idea of defending a region from a terrible threat or taking decided countermeasures, and all that stuff that's also part of any fighting in a game (duh), but saying you would die for your country kind of presupposes that you must be on the jump all the time because of all those evil foreigners. That sentence is simply a hollow pretext for rightwingers (I've been asked that once in some context) and has little to do with reality.
You're kidding right? No, what it means is that you are willing to sacrafice your own personal safety to ensure the safety of your own nation. And why has nationalism become some sort of dirty word? Simply put it means putting the security and welfare of your nation above other nations, which as a citizen, is how you ought to act.

I suppose this is the difference between the right and the left though. On the right they believe a citizen's duty is to his nation and his people. On the left, it's to no one, and your nation doesn't mean a God damn thing to you. Ah well, I suppose that comes with an unwarranted sense of superiority coupled with historical ignorance, and no sense of rationality.

automatron

Apr 21, 2010
If by die for my country, you mean go to war and fight?
Then no, I would not.
I don't see why people put such an emphasis on where they are from.

Roroshi14

Dec 3, 2009
I assume if I died for my country then it would be a game changing scenario and I'm not just some nut wanting to be dramatic. But I would die for America.

Texas Joker 52

All hail the Pun Meister!
Jun 25, 2011
Am I willing to die for my country? Absolutely. I know America is far from perfect, and I definitely know that we've essentially become bullies toward other, smaller countries, but I do believe in what America was founded in: Freedom of Religion, Freedom of Speech, The Right to Bear Arms, and so on.

I think that there was and is genuine potential to those tenants. So, if need be, I'll defend my country and if it comes down to it, die for it.

But, I would much prefer not to die in vain, or simply for the sake of self-sacrifice. Self-sacrifice can be a wonderful, admirable thing, but whenever its done for the sake of the thing, it loses its admirable qualities.

I think a better question is, are we willing to FIGHT for our country, with the possibility of death. To that, I answer yes.

Ben Simon

Aug 23, 2010
It really depends on what you mean. If you're asking if I would join the US military so I could be shipped off to some hell-hole to die, then no. That's me dying for no real reason. If you're asking if I would sacrifice myself to protect this nation in some meaningful and important way, than yes. For me, it's more about what's at stake than what country it is.