Poll: would you die for your country?

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
No, I don't love my country as a political entity. When people serve the United States military they are serving exactly that, not the country as a whole.

mental_looney

Apr 29, 2008
Heh I don't live in the country I was born in anymore and I'm just a foreign resident in this one so not super willing to die for either.

Love for your country should not be about throwing your life away but living and trying to make it a better place.

falcon1985

Aug 29, 2009
Diplodocus462 said:
gabe12301 said:
Would you die for your country? It's pretty straight-forward.

For me yes. If your not willing to die for it, then why live there? You obviously don't love it there very much.
Why is loving your country a prerequisite for being a good person? I love my world, and the people who live in it. In case you hadn't noticed, you have to live somewhere; someone who isn't willing to die for their country probably doesn't have any country they are willing to die for, and that's a good thing. Patriotism is a completely counterproductive and immoral idea in the modern world. We need to be travelling into the future together as a global community or we will die as pathetic little tribes. Countries are at best a necessary evil; and that's if they are even necessary.
I completely agree. Ever since the human race made his first fire, we've been killing each other in the name of whatever rock we were born on.

If we want to move into the future, we must do it as one country...Earth.

We must pledge allegiance to each other, not god, not country, not political ideology. Only then will we be worthy of the title "civilized".

DrJapple

Mar 15, 2011
mental_looney said:
Heh I don't live in the country I was born in anymore and I'm just a foreign resident in this one so not super willing to die for either.

Love for your country should not be about throwing your life away but living and trying to make it a better place.
What if you die trying to make it a better place?

Servantes

Jul 12, 2010
I am a person who will give my money to random people for things I love, will I die for it?

FUCK NO.

reason is simple, government lies to us so much its rather comical in the sad way, I love but also hate the US but its a relationship because the ship can sink.

I live where in the winter it snows up to 2 feet in a single day, in the summer its 95 degree's with 90% humidity, do I love living here?

FUCK NO.

Why live here?

because I feel like it.

Samoftherocks

Oct 4, 2008
If dying for my country meant that I saved the lives of millions, I would do it. If it meant keeping oil prices down, fuck your cars, you lazy fuckfaces.

If it meant keeping the streets safe in the face of ever-increasing gang violence, I would do it. If it meant keeping my daughter safe, you'd better believe I'd do it.

I think, if the question was "would you kill for your country" you'd get more Yes votes...

DrJapple

Mar 15, 2011
Maybe I watched the LotR trilogy too recently, since they make dying for your country seem pretty awesome in those films.

Genericjim101

Jan 7, 2011
Hell no, General Patton had the right idea "I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country." There are more productive ways to help your country : D

Biosophilogical

Jul 8, 2009
Hides His Eyes said:
Iron Lightning said:
gabe12301 said:
Would you die for your country? It's pretty straight-forward.

For me yes. If your not willing to die for it, then why live there? You obviously don't love it there very much.
What do you mean by "die for your country" anyway? Are you suggesting some hypothetical situation where my country would dissolve like the old Soviet Union if I say no? Would my country be physically destroyed if I said no? Are you talking about getting killed by the enemy whilst serving in the military? I don't understand the question.
Hahah, I like the way that between us, we have questioned what the "dying" part of the OP meant, AND what the "country" part meant.

Anyone want to question the meaning of the word "would" in this context?
I'll give it a shot.

The word would implies a level of knowledge about the results, but unless you have actually put yourself in a situation with a high likelihood of death for the purpose of protecting/saving your country (whatever death and country mean) the question should actually be "Do you think you should die for your country?". After all, this is a hypothetical about how much we comparatively value our life and country, meaning that for most of us it is about the should, not the would (the should can be known, the would cannot).

How did I do?

OT: I cannot possibly know what I would do, because I've never been in that situation. I can't know if I should, because I don't know what you mean by country (would my death just mean we fly the same flag? Or would my death mean that the entire populace isn't enslaved by an ear-raping monster-alien-thingy-ma-what's-it that takes pleasure in slowly torturing us to death?), and I can't know if I could because you haven't specified the circumstances of my death (Does it require technical or physical skill above my ability? Do I have to speak the foreign language to negotiate my death? Is it a matter of with-holding information in a torture scenario until I die (I don't think I could last long enough to die if someone was torturing me)?)

I cannot possibly answer any aspect of the question.

Wuvlycuddles

Oct 29, 2009
Ah, but would my country die for me? No, no it wouldn't.

It doesn't care about me and I don't care about it, I'd live somewhere else if I thought for a moment I wouldn't encounter the same BS elsewhere, but that is unlikely.

let's rock

Jun 15, 2011
I'm an american, and I would go to war for the sole purpose of killing terrorists, because I don't like terrorists and think they should all die, but I wouldn't do it for my country, which I honestly don't like that much. Used to, then these beurocrats in washington fucked it up like there's no tomorrow

GaltarDude1138

Jan 19, 2011
Hmm...if Americuh was being invaded, I guess. But I wouldn't be accepted into the military because of a slight asthma problem...

I would drive an ambulance or supply truck or something, sure, as long as my inhaler is within reach. I'd really want to help people, if we were being invaded, because no one would deserve this kind of violence inflicted on them.

And maybe if they give me a gun. If I was about to get captured, I'd take em all down with me.

But to die? To take a bullet for my country on the front lines would be out of the question.

mental_looney

Apr 29, 2008
DrJapple said:
mental_looney said:

What if you die trying to make it a better place?
Wouldn't that be like an accident while doing something else rather than specifically related to dying for your country like the op states.
There are very few circumstances when the death of a person who is not an abuser or some kind of power a better place.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
Hell no, to me my country is just the place I live. I like that place well enough, but I wouldn't risk my life for it.

Hides His Eyes

Jul 26, 2011
The OP is gonna be pissed when he/she comes back to find we've totally deconstructed the question and left the pieces scattered all over the room. We're a bunch of mischievous semiotic imps.

jprf

May 18, 2011
If my country was actually in danger I would fight to defend it (though I'd probably try not to die). That would be about attempting to save lives though, not about the country itself- why should I feel proud of being born within certain arbitrary lines?
Would I ever participate in any of the wars we are involved in now? No. That isn't dying for your country, that's dying for your government's interests which frankly isn't worth a single life.

You seem to be a little naive, OP. How old are you?

CatsAttackAgain

Jul 14, 2010
No. If you count my country as the economy and government then HELL. NO. They wouldn't drop a cent to save me.

If you mean my country as in all living in it, then yes. Regardless of my friends and family there's all those people that I step on.

However, fighting in the army is a no no. When fighting for your country includes enlisting then you will most likely become a statistic, mutilated at the bottom of a bin, who died because he was also trying to fight for his country.

Syntax Man

Apr 8, 2008
As it turns out I value my own life far more than I value those of others, especially strangers.