Poll: Would you ever burn a book?

badgersprite

[--SYSTEM ERROR--]
Sep 22, 2009
Psycho-Toaster said:
Well, now that I've finished my exams, I'm going to be burning the metric motherfuck-ton of paper, books and general shite from English. Does that count?
Do it. It's worth it. Invite your mates 'round and have a bonfire.

Be sure to take the plastic cover off your text books if you burn them though. That shit stinks when it burns.

Fwee

Sep 23, 2009
The bible. Considering all the irreparable damage its misconstrued message has done to society, the environment, and human progress I consider it well worth the effort to eradicate.
Personally if one seeks stories with a moral, try Aesop's Fables. You'll get much the same level of ethic quality, if not better.
Not trying to troll, just stating an OPINION that has HISTORICAL and FACTUAL backing. If you're deeply offended by my remarks, I suggest you strengthen your religious foundation. It will certainly will help you better than anonymously trying to silence someone on a forum.
Edit: P.S.
I wanted to take time to thank you for the warning. I realize that my original post could be taken as trolling, but was merely pneumonia-induced laziness on my part. I had more of my thoughts to contribute, but in my fevered haste I decided to deal with further quotes or comments to build upon.
That and I was in a hurry to watch Escape to the Movies.
Not trying to dispute the warning, just wanted to explain.

MrGFunk

Oct 29, 2008
I don't see a situation where I'd have to. I wouldn't do it out of spite certainly.

Hgame

Sep 3, 2010
Thespian said:
If I had a logical reason to and it didn't hold any sentimental value then sure. In the end books are just bound paper, I don't see why you would with hold burning them more than anything else.
Because when you burn a book, you not only destroy the paper, you destroy all the knowledge contained within. This does not apply to those mass-produced paperback thrillers you see in every newsagent. I would happily burn those.

Killertje

Dec 12, 2010
Yes, but it would have nothing to do with the book itself. I also don't think I will ever be in a situation where I need to burn paper to not freeze to death. However if I ever get so pissed at some religious people I feel like shouting at them won't be enough, I would make my point by burning "their" book.

shadowsoul222

Jun 6, 2010
DrNobody18 said:
When it comes to staying warm? You bet I will, starting with textbooks to doubt.

For the sake of just burning a book symbolically? No, not ever. John Milton was a little preachy when he said this, but it is one of my more favorite quotes of the issue.

"For books are not absolutely dead things, but do contain a potency of life in them to be as active as that soul was whose progeny they are; nay, they do preserve as in a vial the purest efficacy and extraction of that living intellect that bred them. Unless wariness be used, as good almost kill a man as kill a good book. Who kills a man kills a reasonable creature, God's image; but he who destroys a good book, kills reason itself, kills the image of God, as it were in the eye." -John Milton

Warned you it was preachy, but it gets the point across.
Thanks haha I was looking for this quote to post :p

OT: I would never burn a book for any reason. I find that kind of thing just...idk. I would never do it to any book. Not Mein Kampf, not Twilight (srsly people it has a specific audience it was targeting get off it's back. and at least it's written with good grammar), and especially not any religious or otherwise Holy text, regardless of whether or not I believed in what that book said. To me burning a book is destroying an idea, and if I REALLY hate a book, i'll just pass it on to someone I don't like, or donate it to a library, hell someone will like it...probably.

steeple

Death by tray it shall be
Dec 2, 2008
never if its out of idealogical reasons, of course if its just as a neccesary replacement for fire-wood

Zanakanishi

Apr 21, 2009
This question is too vague and kinda silly... i mean it's just paper, if it is burnt just buy another one?

Baron von Blitztank

May 7, 2010
Yup if it was an old school book which I didn't need and weren't meant to be returned, if it is absolutley freezing and I need some heat or if the book just really sucks.

MrGalactus

Elite Member
Sep 18, 2010
I might get in trouble for this.

I once actually did burn a bible. It wasn't symbolic or representative of anything to do with religious beliefs in particular, I just did it because we were having a bonfire and I had a bible, and paper burns.
I was about 10, and went to catholic school. They gave us all a little red bible, and we all resented being given it, not because we were anti-Christian, but because we just resented everything the school did for/to us. We all just fucking hated school, so we'd express it in the pettiest of ways whenever we could.
So I got home, and...oo look, we're having a bonfire....Oo, look, I have this book, which, I suppose, represents what school want's of me, so my 10 year old brain will automatically and spitefully do the opposite...Oo, look, we don't get graded on how singed our bible isn't.
So I did it. Chucked it on there like it was nothing, because to me it was nothing. Religion wasn't, and still isn't relevant in my life, so throwing a little bible on the bonfire has never been something I'm ashamed nor proud of.
It's weird to think about, really. I had forgotten about it until now.

Nerfherder17

May 16, 2011
yeah,if I needed to make a fire. I'd keep certain books if I didn't think I'd get to have another copy.

Ithera

Apr 4, 2010
Well, not out of political or religious reasons. If faced with a practical problem that can be alleviated by book burning, then i will consider this option.

AWAR

Nov 15, 2009
Woodsey said:
I don't know, would you ever break a ruler?

[sub][sub]I don't get it....[/sub][/sub]
It's because nazis did it and it's evil and if you do it too you are a nazi.. kinda..

O.T.
Why even bother burning a book?

EightGaugeHippo

Apr 6, 2010
I already have done.
I went to a catholic high school you see. I hated it.
So, me and some like-minded friends, stole around 12 bibles and gospels from the RE class.
Went into the near by woods, and burnt the shit out of them in a pile. Teenage rebellion! The funniest kind of rebellion.