Poll: Would you ever burn a book?

Jezzascmezza

Aug 18, 2009
This is such a vague and bizarre question.
Is this a reference to something I don't get?
By the way, I have no real desire to burn any books. (?)

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
fooddood3 said:
dogstile said:
I once burned a bible because my friends were going on about how it was sacred and that we needed to treat it with respect.

I listened to them all day before grabbing one (it was one of those small ones they give out at schools) and burning it in front of them. The shock on some peoples faces was awesome.

Ahhhh, I enjoyed that day :3
That's kind of a dick move...
I'm never claimed I was anything other than a dick. I take pride in my dickery.

legion431

Mar 14, 2010
dogstile said:
I once burned a bible because my friends were going on about how it was sacred and that we needed to treat it with respect.

I listened to them all day before grabbing one (it was one of those small ones they give out at schools) and burning it in front of them. The shock on some peoples faces was awesome.

My hat is off to you sir.

OT.If it's cold and there's no fire wood or one of the twilight books.

Sep 14, 2009
if its any supposed "classic" from school, then yes, i will burn it, gladly, and gladly piss on the ashes afterwords.

otherwise?

nah probably not, unless i need a fire for something.

Sep 14, 2009
vivalahelvig said:
There are only 2 books i would ever burn. Those are Great Expectations and The Old Man and the Sea. <---Those 2 books are the most boring, uneventful pieces of crap i have ever read, and i only read 20 pages of Great Expectations!
the old man and the sea can go fuck itself 20x over. its the most boring piece of shit ever that we spent months on because our teacher thought we didn't get the purpose of the book and we had to break down every single fucking chapter to find the meanings behind everything...

i forever hate that fucking book.

katsumoto03

Feb 24, 2010
Swyftstar said:
No. The thought of such a thing makes me die a little inside.
Can I ask why?

I've always found that so weird. It's not like it's the only copy. It's just paper with ink shaped into symbols printed all over it...

bulbasaur765

May 1, 2010
Only if I needed to feed a fire for warmth in an extreme-cold-climate-environment; Preferably cheap books that I didn't pay much for. Otherwise its a waste of paper.

gideonkain

Nov 12, 2010
Never ever - even if the title of the book was "Gideonkain, the bestiality loving neo-nazi"

I think this question is a pretty good indication of whether you believe in freedom, or just want things your way.

thejackyl

Apr 16, 2008
Would I burn a book? Yeah if I was cold and that was the only option for heat, yes. or for some other reason that I can't think of, yeah... It's not the book that I'm against, it's the cold, or whatnot.

However, I would not burn a book because I don't like what it says, or that it promotes witchcraft, or whatever people have burnt books for when it makes the news.

fooddood3

Nov 5, 2010
dogstile said:
fooddood3 said:
dogstile said:

That's kind of a dick move...
I'm never claimed I was anything other than a dick. I take pride in my dickery.
I don't know if that is really something to be proud of.

AmbitiousWorm

I'm going to leave this blank.
Dec 2, 2010
Yes. On really long hiking trips as you finish pages you rip them out and burn them and your book gets lighter.

Nowadays its kind of pointless to burn objectionable material because everything is on the interwebs, whether thats a good thing is debatable (no it isn't) but thats not the point.

Kouta Cles

Apr 23, 2011
Nope, 'cause:

"...as good almost kill a man as kill a good book; who kills a man kills a reasonable creature... but he who destroys a good book, kills reason itself..."
-John Milton

mikev7.0

Jan 25, 2011
Okay am I the only one who took the meaning of this thread to be that the OP was asking if we would willingly burn a book or participate in a book burning? To the scores of you that evidently have been stocking up on copies of Twilight, Mein Kampf and teen biographies for the impending ice age, yes if you HAD to in order to live, duh, bye book.

The other question is a bit tougher and I suppose to make it easier for me to answer I made it more harsh. I asked: "If I could erradicate any ideology I chose to and would get away with it, would I?" The answer? I really, really hope not. I would sure try not to and I don't think I would but never having had that kind of power it's tough to answer that one honestly, it would definitely be a moral test for me, since there's 4,789 different flavors of stupid I'd love to see take a hike, but that shouldn't be my call alone and the views of others even if they don't agree with mine, don't deserve to be silenced.

THE M3RCENARY

May 23, 2010
Chemical Horse said:
I would gladly burn a Bible at a WBC protest.

No offense, decent Christians.
None taken, but I would happily burn THEM.

OT: Probably, The Great Gatsby. SO BORING and overrated.