Poll: Would you ever burn a book?

gbemery

Jun 27, 2009
Yes, because if I ever have to read a book that states being "sociologically mindful" or anything near using our "sociological mindfulness" I swear I will throw that thing into the closest open fire.

Story behind it is in my sociology class we had to read a book by someone the professor knew from his grad years. Any way every other sentence used one or both of the above terms and it was really really annoying. The book made the author sound up in himself and went over very small problems in society that the author blew out of proportion just so he could have a reason to write a book. Oh and the title of the book was something like "Examining the sociological mindful mind" or something similar.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
GamerMage said:
dogstile said:
I once burned a bible because my friends were going on about how it was sacred and that we needed to treat it with respect.

I listened to them all day before grabbing one (it was one of those small ones they give out at schools) and burning it in front of them. The shock on some peoples faces was awesome.

Ahhhh, I enjoyed that day :3
The hack is wrong with you?! You did just to mess with them?! You DO need to treat the Holy Bible with respect! Baka.
No I don't. You think I do. I get along just fine without respecting words on paper.

Besides, one would argue its not the book that has meaning, its the lessons within its pages. Now that there are thousands of copies of the bible, I doubt one less copy is gonna harm the world. At that point in my life I was tired of people telling me that I should respect something I don't believe in, even if said thing is constantly telling me i'm a bad person.

In fact, I still am annoyed by people who think what I do is their business. If its so bad and god does exist, he can take it up with me when I pass on.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
If I was cold and needed heat I would. Otherwise, no I would not. I would not even burn Mein Kampf. There is something that is wrong to me about burning any piece knowledge.

MR.Spartacus

Jul 7, 2009
Depends on the book. I wouldn't hesitate to make a bonfire out of "tv guides" if they weren't laminated. There a few comics with such awful art that I would burn them. If it weren't vandalism because i don't want to buy those.

May 5, 2010
Well, it depends.

If I'm somehow trapped in a cold environment and the only thing I have to help start a fire is a book, then yeah, I'd burn it.

If you're asking if I'd burn a book because I disagree with it's contents, then no. Just because I don't like something, that doesn't mean I have the right to destroy it.

Bags159

Mar 11, 2011
Unless for heat or some sort of necessity for fire, no. Seems like a waste of materials.

GodofCider

Nov 16, 2010
Woodsey said:
I don't know, would you ever break a ruler?

[sub][sub]I don't get it....[/sub][/sub]
I often use outdated phone books as fire starters at my parents place; they have a wood furnace.

But ya, it's akin to burning an effigy; I suppose if you're superficial enough to warrant such an exercise, then by all means...

Kajin

This Title Will Be Gone Soon
Apr 13, 2008
I don't burn the books I hate. I crucify them on my bedroom wall to act as an example to all the other books.

Rockchimp69

Dec 4, 2010
My school year are having a book burning of our exercise books to celebrate the end of the year
:)

Zantos

Jan 5, 2011
I once burnt a physics book because I didn't like it.

Also, i thought that since it was on Thermodynamics it would be ironic.

Uber Waddles

May 13, 2010
To burn a book is to kill the manifestation of an idea.

Ideas lead to believes, which shape the human condition.

Of course this is not literal, but I think as a respectful human being, symbolically killing an idea is just crude. A logical human being can say that, while people might have a different opinion, its their right to have that opinion.

I wouldnt burn a book, because books reflect on an idea, belief, etc. And burning it is a slap in the face to the people who believe that kind of stuff. Unless the idea is way out there and interferes with anothers way of life (like the KKK), people should be allowed to keep their ideas and have them protected and respected.

LikeDustInTheWind

Mar 29, 2010
I burn my old school notebooks, but I don't think those count. If I was really cold and had nothing but a book and a dying fire I'd rather be alive than entertained.

s0p0g

Aug 24, 2009
No way José! How could you do that? It's a book gorramnit, you can't just burn it. It's much like stealing the handbag of an old lady - one just doesn't do that sort of things.
Unless it's a book called "book" in somewhat effed-up Greek, pretty thick, and has some really bad fantasy stories in it. I'll make an exception there. But stupidity and madness doesn't really count as a book now, does it?