Poll: Would you go for a Warhammer 40K(dawn of war) movie?

Dagodweezl

May 27, 2009
Thanks to the video games the 40K fan base as extended quite a bit.
The Biggest obstacle would be the same one that blocs a lot of movies, weather to aim it at the masses and a disappointment to the fans or keep it to the 40K universe and but risk financial problems.
So If a project was started how would you like to see it made and what kind of storyline?
What Factions would you like to see.

Personally I'd Like to see either a full CG with a straight up Marine vs Chaos
or a Miniseries like Band of Brothers focusing on the Imperial Guard.

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
tbh..the Warhammer 40k is not really that great...or famous.

Its quite the geek thing, it never reached the masses or became popular outside of geekdom.

It would be a very expensive movie/Tv series based on a niche market.

Eskay

Sep 2, 2007
It'd be terrible! Thats not to say I wouldn't enjoy it, but half the fun of the games is the ludicrously over the top characters. Wouldn't make for the best films. Also that voice-over guy, recording the third expansion must have destroyed his larynx, but he'd have to be in it.

theCMNDER

Jan 18, 2009
I can't help but think it would be reduced to a Space Marines/Imperial Guard vs. Tyranids typical humans vs. aliens film and would at best be mediocre.
Also, no 40K film with "Warhammer 40,000" in the title anywhere, or on any part of any poster for the film would get nearly enough tickets to be worth making; simply because the masses understand it to be solely for geeks.
I would probably enjoy watching Space Marines flatten some inferior life forms, however.

Lord George

Aug 25, 2008
It could make a lot of money, just have huge space marines carving up orks with chainswords, the blood, the action, squeee.

Dagodweezl

May 27, 2009
You could just call it Dawn of war I guess and I think if you had actual fans working on the game it could still cater and follow the universe.
It could definitely work with the IG, but yeah I guess it would feel like a B film if they went all Marine on a low budget

tibnik

Oct 22, 2008
The only way I could see the thing being made would be in the way of the begining video intros, the DoW 2 trailer being a great example. Also with the POV being the Imperium and the enemies being mostly chaos with smidges of other races thrown in as well.

Nargleblarg

Jun 24, 2008
I guess it could work in theory because there isn't much of a story to warhammer 40k unless you read wikipedia. It would at least need some writers familiar with the series and maybe like Peter Jackson directing it. Maybe then it would be alright.

tibnik

Oct 22, 2008
Freakout456 said:
I guess it could work in theory because there isn't much of a story to warhammer 40k unless you read wikipedia. It would at least need some writers familiar with the series and maybe like Peter Jackson directing it. Maybe then it would be alright.
Just as somehting for the writer bit, if anyone has read the Dan Abnett books, might not have spelt that right but anyways he would be awesome for the writers position.

As a side note has anyone thought that a Horus Heresy movie would be a better choice then a DoW?

sms_117b

Keeper of Brannigan's Law
Oct 4, 2007
Mini Series, original material from source material.

Could make it documentary-esce of the warriors of the imperium fighting and dealing with internal situations like the inquisitors and grey knights etc.

Could be epic, most likely be a large let down.

.........the whole 300 film was CG enhanced, not just CG.

Dagodweezl

May 27, 2009
tibnik said:
Freakout456 said:
Just as somehting for the writer bit, if anyone has read the Dan Abnett books, might not have spelt that right but anyways he would be awesome for the writers position.

As a side note has anyone thought that a Horus Heresy movie would be a better choice then a DoW?
I love Dan Abnett best DOW writer ever.
I also like the Idea of the Horus Heresy but you couldn't title it like that no-one else would get it. Thats why I suggested DOW for the tittle, not a storyline based on the games just a title.

Eversor

May 21, 2009
W40k has a blockbuster potential. Who doesn't like seeing dudes in bulky armor shooting and chopping aliens? And dreadnoughts. And titans. And the movie ends with a 3 minutes long Exterminatus.

40k - geeky? Nah, not anymore. It is really mainstream, especially at present day, with the big bulky dudes in power armor all over the place.