Poll: Would you join the Space Marines?

Okysho

Sep 12, 2010
FalloutJack said:
No, I'm going to go be reconfigured into a Necron, really. Mine is the joy of spreading a wave of terror and destruction without end.
Gotta love them robot zombies.

OT:

HELL NO!! This is one of the reasons I made a custom tabletop chapter in the first place. Traditional space marines are brutal!!

After reading TWO Space Marine codex' (Factory marines and the Blood Angels, who are significantly more awesome) Becoming a space Marine SUCKS!! decades of training, surgery, more decades of training. If you're still alive by then then you get to be A SCOUT!! With armour that light (in DoW 2 anyways) How does ANYONE get promoted to 3 and 4th company? The get picked off like after 8 mints!! Tabletop wise, you hide in a building with a sniper rifle!

Assuming your new organs are still in place after what amounts to approximately 1-2 centuries (yes centuries) THEN you get to put on the helmet and become a space marine.

Oh and you don't "sign up at the nearest recruitment office" that's how you get into the guard.

You're "discovered" kinda like today's movie and music industry, except designed for mass genocide and war.

Sovvolf

Mar 23, 2009
Talshere said:
Sovvolf said:
ivansnick said:
Sovvolf said:
Basically imagine the infamous Spartan training in space and then taken up to 11. They literally do just live to fight. Nothing else but that. You don't get to feel cool as well, you don't really know or care about it... Pretty much a slave in big armour and weapons.
Damn I should of used those exact words because that just about sums it up
And to add to it, your a preachy religious zealot to the point that the WBC look subtle. Only your armed to the teeth, pretty much just armour and you feel no fear. Also, you don't have a choice in this...

No going home to your mates and showing off at how bad arse you are. No going to a bar and picking up chicks (no point either as your dick is pretty much useless. I don't think they're even allowed to get drunk.

So that's what you become and armoured religious zealot that's received training that Spartans would even cringe at. Enjoy your life... ho and you don't get a choice in this.

To be fair their xenophobia is well founded. Before the fall there were races that they didnt kill that were part xeno and they were looking to be more open minded. The manipulation of the chaos and resulting fall of of Horus is what killed that which is technically the falt of chaos not of the Imperium itself. As it is in 40k as apose to the fall which is 36k(?) literally everything in the universe is killing on sight so its not really xenophobia so much as proactive self defence :p
True, but it doesn't change the fact that you are a mindless zealot :).

Blimey... all this talk of space marines and warhammer makes me want to have a game of 40K, but out the'old ultramarines. Ba'h no one to play against here and not got a big enough table to make it count.

Though Space Marines are pretty badass... The only reason they can drop like flies (if your not careful) in the game is because of balancing issues.

Talshere

Jan 27, 2010
Sovvolf said:
Talshere said:
Sovvolf said:
ivansnick said:
Sovvolf said:
Basically imagine the infamous Spartan training in space and then taken up to 11. They literally do just live to fight. Nothing else but that. You don't get to feel cool as well, you don't really know or care about it... Pretty much a slave in big armour and weapons.
Damn I should of used those exact words because that just about sums it up
And to add to it, your a preachy religious zealot to the point that the WBC look subtle. Only your armed to the teeth, pretty much just armour and you feel no fear. Also, you don't have a choice in this...

No going home to your mates and showing off at how bad arse you are. No going to a bar and picking up chicks (no point either as your dick is pretty much useless. I don't think they're even allowed to get drunk.

So that's what you become and armoured religious zealot that's received training that Spartans would even cringe at. Enjoy your life... ho and you don't get a choice in this.

To be fair their xenophobia is well founded. Before the fall there were races that they didnt kill that were part xeno and they were looking to be more open minded. The manipulation of the chaos and resulting fall of of Horus is what killed that which is technically the falt of chaos not of the Imperium itself. As it is in 40k as apose to the fall which is 36k(?) literally everything in the universe is killing on sight so its not really xenophobia so much as proactive self defence :p
True, but it doesn't change the fact that you are a mindless zealot :).

Blimey... all this talk of space marines and warhammer makes me want to have a game of 40K, but out the'old ultramarines. Ba'h no one to play against here and not got a big enough table to make it count.

Though Space Marines are pretty badass... The only reason they can drop like flies (if your not careful) in the game is because of balancing issues.

You seens the "new" honor guard for Blood angles? Most beautiful models ever, but useless as a unit. And they die so easy because its virtually free for most armies to get power weapon equivalent to wound on 3's or 4's :p. Combined with the realitve size of squads the Space marines get to other armies they are very meh considering that in most of the fluff a 12 man kill team is the grand total of marines it takes to cleanse the vast majority of planets :p

Sovvolf

Mar 23, 2009
Talshere said:
You seens the "new" honor guard for Blood angles? Most beautiful models ever, but useless as a unit. And they die so easy because its virtually free for most armies to get power weapon equivalent to wound on 3's or 4's :p. Combined with the realitve size of squads the Space marines get to other armies they are very meh considering that in most of the fluff a 12 man kill team is the grand total of marines it takes to cleanse the vast majority of planets :p
Sadly no, as said, not many around here to play against and not even close to the table size to have a decent game. So haven't really added to my ranks or armies in a long while. My space marines and ork army are pretty much just ornaments at this point.

And yeah the Marines are servery nerfed when compared to how they are portrayed in other mediums and the codex tales.

Outcast107

Mar 20, 2009
If I could, I would be a Ork. Only reason is orks don't give a crap about anything. All they want to is FIGHT AND WIN! They don't care about why they are fighting or who they are fighting. Just as long they are fighting they are having the times of their life.

Failing that, then I would want to be a IG. I rather fight and die then become a civ and see a chaos invasion, or Tyranids.

Corporal Yakob

Nov 28, 2009
If I was deemed worthy to be one of the Emperor's chosen then freaking alright! It would have to be my own homebrew chapter of course :p

Irony's Acolyte

Back from the Depths
Mar 9, 2010
Nope. The Inquisition's is where it's at. You get all sorts of fun power to play with and you don't get drastically changed just to join. Hell even just working for an Inquisitor would be nice. And the Guard are pretty cool, but you usually end up cannon-fodder, so I'd hope to make it to a more secure position.

Oh and in defense of them being so religiously zealous (at least some of them), they have a good reason to be. There are shit tons of aliens knocking at humanity's door; looking to rape, pillage, plunder, murder, steal, burn, defile, enslave, and all sorts of other nasty things. There are people within the Imperium looking to bring it all down. There are daemons out there that will possess you if you attract their attention. And it does cause entire planets to be lost. The Imperium is beset on all sides by numerous forces, both without and within, and they do need to be constantly vigilant against them. And their faith in the Emperor literally can give them strength.

Trillovinum

Dec 15, 2010
Am I the only one who thinks that training regime to be absurd?
I know it's supposed to be cool for people reading about it and all.
But consider the sheer stupidity of any organisation that requires specially selected recruits and then subjects them to a training regime with a mortality rate that (judging by these other comments) approaches 90%. those that survive that have to survive as scouts before they can become full space marines. (I'll go with a 50% chance of that happening. but I fear I'm optimistic)

Let me do the math. for one space marine there were two scouts for those two scouts were twenty recruits.
this may not look like much but consider that during battle you will have to factor in losses and those need to be replenished. Given that the space marines are in constant battle we are talking about the requirement for a continuous stream of hundreds of recruits.
Where do they keep coming from?

(I am no Warhammer fan)

cdstephens

Apr 5, 2010
You don't "join" the Space Marines really, they pick you. Also, life is hell for them, with their best friends dying in combat all the time.

Protip: War is not fun.

Kevlar Eater

Sep 27, 2009
I couldn't join the Space Marines if I wanted to. It's basically an automatic 'no' for me, though I would probably end up joining the Imperial Guard, but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have a choice in that matter.

Outcast107

Mar 20, 2009
Trillovinum said:
Look at all the speical ops in this world. How many of them wash out due to the training being to hard for them to pass. Now, lets take that into the future where its actually due or die every..single..day.

You are attack on all fronts daily. You have to worry about Orks that out number you 100:1. You have to worry about the forces of chaos and their daemonic horde that ravage whole systems. You also got to worry about the eldar or worst the Dark Eldar and how they come to worlds and snatch people up to be their play things until they are bored with them.

So the Space Marines HAVE to be the best. That means no room for 2nd guessing about a soldier. You have to make sure they are fully commented to the task of being a soldier full time and can actually deal with all these threats and not tired.

Bigsmith

Mar 16, 2009
What? And have several implants forced into my body without any anethetic? And have a complete black layer under my skin so I can control the massive armour that they stick to me.

No thanks.

Although, I would rather join the Guard and prove my self to an other Inquisitor in order to become one.

WarKirby

Nov 21, 2009
You do not "join" the space marines. you are born into them, grown in a tank with the genetic material of your chapter master. the question is invalid