Poll: Would you like to play a video game set in your hometown/city?

MetalMagpie

Jun 13, 2011
I live in London. It's an awesome video game setting (as well as being in general the best city in the world). :D

Although I'll admit the trailer for Mass Effect 3 made me squirm a bit. Why couldn't Bioware just trash New York like everyone else?

Dandark

Sep 2, 2011
I would like a game set in my hometown. I live in Britain and there is the slightest hint of civilization nearby so we do of course have no less than 3 castles, Henry VII was born in the nearest one so I would enjoy a medieval game set in good old Pembrokeshire. I would buy it just because it's set in my hometown.

Mr F.

Jul 11, 2012
Depends.

If it was a GTA clone with all of the residents lovingly recreated to be identical to how they were when I finally left that hell hole, HELL TO THE YES.

But I doubt we will see any games set in Al Ain. Tis a very, very boring place.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Pretty sure I've been in London in games before.
As for where I live now? Nah. Kinda dull here.

Ranylyn

Nov 5, 2010
As a Canadian, I'd love more representation in gaming. No offense to Americans, but we can get sick of you guys, just as I'm sure you get sick of people like me.

Sure, it makes sense for Americans to make games in the States, but even in a lot of games that had fictional American cities, it was like "Yeah, this could have worked in several other countries too, but they seriously just made it America for the sake of praising the land of the free and fuck yeah America and all that." It's kind of nauseating how brainlessly indoctrinated it feels at times. It's only made worse by meeting brainless people online who don't know that the word "patriotism" means pride in one's country, and that country doesn't have to be the USA.

Don't get me wrong. My fiancee is American, as are a lot of my best friends. I don't dislike the States. In fact, I quite like it minus some accents that bother me (which is no fault of the person who grew up speaking it, I've just been rubbed the wrong way by negative exposure to some accents.) I just think that Canada is a really underused setting and would open a lot of possibilities.

Cavan

Jan 17, 2011
I have often thought that my town in southern England would make a fantastic Day Z map.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
When playing games based on real cities, I love to grab a map of that city and geek out over the resemblances (lately, especially AC: Brotherhood's Rome). I imagine that would be doubly so for my own home town (even though it's a pretty boring town). So by all means, I'd love it.

felbot

May 11, 2011
id buy it if it was just set in sweden, if it took place in tyresö as well then hell yeah id buy it, i wonder if they would redreate nyfors.

templar1138a

Dec 1, 2010
If someone managed to make a game set in Ithaca that was interesting, then yes, I'd play it. I'm not sure what genre it would be. Probably a management sim about Cornell. In which case, I wouldn't be all that interested.

Samantha Burt

Jan 30, 2012
distortedreality said:
I'd love to see Sydney done in a Fallout type of style.

I've said it before, and i'll say it again, but having Fallout set in Oz makes for way more interesting and deadly creatures.
-Imagines a Rad Widow Spider or something- I don't think I'm ever going to sleep again.

OT: I think it would be cool, but Derby's small by city standards, so I doubt you could make much out of it. Maybe as part of a GTA:SA style game with Leicester and Nottingham; that'd be pretty cool.

Trekkie

Sep 21, 2008
in the final mission of ME3 you run through a part of London that i know well. was a bit surreal. but i loved it :)

plus the bit with the radio and the casualty reports, really a kick in the gut :p

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
I don't think my tiny coastal village would make a very interesting place to visit during the daylight hours. But maybe during the night it could be become the scene for a survival horror as is does become very quiet and dark, with just the sound of the wind and the sea in the distance. Yeah, I reckon it could become the setting of some supernatural shenanigans.

Or maybe a sequel to Folklore. I'd probably play either, so yeah, I would like to play a game set where I live. Game developers get working. *sits back and waits*

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
YingDerpington said:
Never...The Gold Coast is full of retards...
Gold coast? As in Ghana or Austrailia? Because a game set in Ghana could be interesting...

OT: My town is a pathetic farmer town, and therefore would make a pretty boring game... It would be funny to see some of the local nutters coded, and then go beat them up...

Also, to be able to visit my old school and work place, and then beat up my teachers and boss would be funny... but it wouldn't make a good game! :p

Ljs1121

Mar 17, 2011
I think it could be fun. My city is pretty decent-sized and since I've lived here for all my life I could probably have the game map memorized pretty quickly.