Poll: Would you play Deus Ex Human Revolution if it started Adriana Jensen instead of Adam Jensen?

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
I put Yes!, but I played it as-is anyway. I would play it either way. A female character would work in his scenario, I think without particular overhaul of plot or writing. It'd still have the same problems, and I'd still love the game.

Ninjat_126

Nov 19, 2010
Chicago Ted said:
A new Deus Ex game with a female protagonist?

Yes.

A redo of Deus Ex Human Revolution with a female protagonist?

No.

I don't know why, but this is my gut reaction. I liked Adam Jensen. I liked almost every bit about him. Therefore, changing anything about him really is enough to give me hesitation.
I have nothing against female characters. But if they were going to redo HR, I'd probably ask them to change the mechanics and the boss fights rather than the protagonist.

T_ConX

Mar 8, 2010
I think anyone who decides to not buy a game simply because the main character isn't the same gender as him or her is a sexist prick. Who cares!

Anita Sarkeesian said:
I really appreciate the gameplay and some of the complexities of the Assassin?s Creed series, but I've been regularly disappointed with the female characters for a whole host of reasons that we don?t have the space to get into. I am, however, looking forward to Assassin's Creed: Liberation for the Vita which is (finally) going to feature a woman, so we?ll see how that goes *fingers crossed*.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Now that I think about it, gender-swapping would make the whole plot about Jensen's relationship to the love interest's research all the more interesting, as you could make the love interest's motives a lot creepier than they wind up being played as.

Ymbirtt

May 3, 2009
I think it'd be more interesting if he were called Adam, but nobody acknowledged that he had a gender because he's now mostly machine. It depends on how much you value the women's toilet gag. Adriana Jensen would be just as cool, though she'd need to actually make sense. Though she shouldn't be a bikini model, she'd still have to be fit and well-built so we can believe that she's head of security, not like one of those female body builders, but not exactly a rake either. The face, though, should be scarred and dented, just as Adam's was. We need to believe that someone's slapped this woman in the face with a plank of wood a few times.

Griffolion

Elite Member
Aug 18, 2009
StriderShinryu said:
Sure, why not. Jensen was cool and all, but the appeal for me in HR was the setting and gameplay. I did end up slightly disappointed in the game overall, but it had nothing to do with Jensen as a character.
Same. The cyberpunk, black-on-gold setting had me from the start. And the sound track. Oh that lovely sound track.

Full

Sep 3, 2012
I wouldn't care if Megan was still the girlfriend, just make the voice as awesome as Jensen's. As long as the boss fights still suck.

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
The gender of the protagonist really doesn't factor into my purchasing decision. I liked Deus Ex and I would have liked it just as much if it was a female lead. The only problem with that is more female VAs suck than male ones, so they'd have to get a good one.

Amazon warrior

Jul 7, 2009
She'd probably be called Eve Jensen (to keep up with that whole tired "humanity 2.0" schtick), but yes. I imagine she'd be somewhat like Molly Millions from the Neuromancer series, and I love those books.

bandman232 said:
There is already a game like this. It's called Perfect Dark. :p
Oooo, I used to have so much fun playing Perfect Dark with my mates in Uni! :D

Roxor

Nov 4, 2010
Would I still play it if the devs had made Evelyn Jensen the protagonist? Sure, but I don't think there's really anything wrong with Adam.

Would I want to see a female protagonist for the next game in the franchise? Absolutely. I play Invisible War with one, after all.

Adeptus Aspartem

Jul 25, 2011
Hell yeah i would!

But i disagree with people. Gender has an influence on the story. Males and Females just behave diffrent and i'd say the same story told twice with a diffrent gender will give you another expirience.
And i'm talking about a well written female character, not your stereotype bullshit.

All im sayin' that people who just say that it has absolutely no influence on the story/mood/setting aka gender is totally irrelevant to tell a story is wrong.