Poll: Would You Shoot Enemies Helping Their Wounded?

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
In videogames I would like to have a choice to not shoot them. Most games don't let you progress until everyone is dead. I like games where I can knock out, take people prisoner or have them surrender. In a modern based game I wouldn't shoot medic unless they were actively a threat to me, a because I'd like to feel that's what I'd do in real life.

Interestingly enough during Mount&Blade : Warband when the enemies run, I often feel bad about killing them as they flee, but at the same time I usually do so to ensure I don't have to fight the same soldiers again. Even though I could console myself that this is medieval times and the concept of warcrimes doesn't really exist, I feel bad as it clashes with my honourable character. In fact when I secceded and created my own nation, I purposely ordered my men not to fire or pursue fleeing soldier of my parent nation, I alway fought defensively against them simply because I felt bad for betraying them, though eventually I did crush them.

The Floating Nose

Dec 5, 2010
I think you take video games a little too seriously. I mean, come one it's a video game just shoot the medic and that's it. I don't think you will be judge for it anyway.

In real life though....i don't know seriously.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Treblaine said:
OP is asking more that just what you WOULD do, but what you think you SHOULD do.
"Would you shoot enemies helping their wounded" quoted from the topic title. I answered that question, and I am saying that I would not. From all your posts you've clearly not understood me once. I would not kill anyone because I know that in the moment I would hesitate and be unable to do it. I always hesitate when it comes to inflicting violence to anyone.
Your "philosophic" questions really aren't that deep. The consequences would be 1: enemy dies I survive and 2: I die. I am fully aware of this, yet I am fully aware of that I am unable to kill anyone, can't you understand that? Would I kill a medic if I were able to? No, that would be a war crime.
Is there any reason my ideals and my capabilities should be different? Seriously, if I say that I would kill the soldiers carrying the wounded man and the wounded man that would make ma a hypocrite if I know that I WOULDN'T.

Eldarion

Sep 30, 2009
You know it takes the enemy considerably more resources to patch up a wounded soldier than it does to bury a dead one. So logically, letting him take his friend back hurts their side more then shooting both of them.

TheRocketeer

Intolerable Bore
Dec 24, 2009
kman123 said:
I thought there was a code stating that you couldn't shoot medics when they were in the process of helping the wounded.
That was established by the Geneva Conventions, which form part of what is known as the Law of Armed Conflict.

If they're a medic, religious serviceman, or some other troop protected by LOAC, then no, of course not. But if they're just another field unit giving first aid to another unlucky field unit, they're out of luck.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
I wouldn't even think twice, just shoot them. And I am puzzled at the maturity in this thread, he's talking about a video game... I'd expect these responses if it was in a real war.

Read the damn OP guys.

VincentR

Apr 17, 2011
I've never been in a real combat situation; and I have no actual medical experience. However, I do have experience from games which have medical classes of some form, and I tend to play them as first choice more than other classes. And I know that *I* personally, rush through fire if I honestly think I have any chance of getting to the wounded.
Of course, this is also based around the idea that in most games with medics you can sort-of "drive-by" revive; instant-revival shock pads and such-what. So I don't exactly stop moving either..

EDIT: Bah. And this was a response to Pariah back on the first page, by-the-way.

gundamrx101

Nov 19, 2010
No, because empathy is what makes us human and it's easy to picture yourself in a similar fashion, whether it's you or a friend. Hell, even a complete starnger. It's not fun, man.

Regiment

Nov 9, 2009
No, no, no. Absolutely no, no matter what. Soldiers helping a wounded man pose absolutely no threat to anyone. A wounded man being carried away poses absolutely no threat to anyone. If all of the men involved are extremely lucky, the wounded soldier might, someday, with luck, be well enough to fight again. In several years. Not right now.

I would only shoot them if they fired first. Medics can't do that, and I'd count anyone helping a wounded man a medic.

EDIT: Oh, wow, you meant in a video game. If it's a video game, then I'd shoot them if they were taking the wounded character away to be healed up and after me again in ten seconds. I mean, I always aim for the TF2 medics, if that's what you mean.

crop52

Mar 16, 2011
of course i would shoot the enemy soldiers helping their teammate,

if they were unarmed medics i would just finish off the wounded soldier and let the medics go,

Corneel De Corte

Jun 14, 2010
if it was in a game like COD I'd use the wounded as bait, in real life I'd do the same (except for medics and civilians, I'd only shoot the guys whom would shooting at me)