Poll: Would You Shoot Enemies Helping Their Wounded?

Captain Pirate

Nov 18, 2009
In games, yes, definately.

In real life, well, depends on the war. If they were invading my country, then yes, but if it was (Which will never happen) me volunteering for the armed forces and being in a war I didn't have to be in, then probably not.
If they were medics, and they were part of an invasion force of my country, I'd kill them.

What fucking rules of war? You can kill these guys, but not these ones, because they're only helping a wounded man.
Am I the only one that thinks that's completely and utterly ridiculous?
They'll only help that guy get back on his feet to try and kill me again.
Why can I not kill them? They're the enemy. They aren't directly shooting me, but they're helping the bloody enemy. Fuck the rules, I'd shoot them.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Since you mention as in a video game scenario then yes I would unless there are penalty for doing so in the game or there is a achievement for not gunning down the medics.

NoDamnNames

Feb 25, 2009
Lazarus Long said:
Absolutely. A dead soldier consumes nowhere near as much of the enemy's resources as a wounded one. Then they go home maimed, as a living example of what the war is costing them. I think the Viet Cong understood that.

Brilliant example!

Someone also said it depends if you are on the defense or offensive. It is a highly contextual question that will differ from situation to situation with no one clear answer.

Siege_TF

May 9, 2010
No for two reasons; A casualty is a much larger drain on the enemy than a fatality, and because according to the rules of engagement if I killed the enemy helping their wounded then said wounded becomes my responcibility, which brings me back to point 1.

Hisshiss

Aug 10, 2010
unless im playing on a difficulty that's just ball crushing hard to the point where I lose it, probly not. I figure I could just let him get away and then deal with him or the other guys when they come back anyways, same results, more honorable outcome. Plus not shooting the medics is just sort of a rule in life, even when not in war, you just don't hurt people who aren't fighting back.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Deliberately shooting anyone displaying a red cross and not actively involved in combat is a war crime.

If nothing else, assume you are injured and left on the battlefield as your side retreats. Those same people are going to be the ones trying to save your life as well. If you've killed them, enjoy bleeding to death.. I hear it's not pleasant.

Heck, assume you are injured full stop, and the opposing side has followed your logic. Again, enjoy bleeding to death.

IRL, people do not have health pickups which get them back in the fight in seconds. A bullet wound or a broken rib takes months to heal. That wounded person is out of the conflict, the medics are purely there to do the humanitarian work of ensuring that people go home to their families with scars instead of in body bags.

kittii-chan 300

Feb 27, 2011
you said you ean in a video game. if thats the case id wait for the medics to revive him then shoot them all. i would get more points no?

Candidus

Dec 17, 2009
Voted "Other", because my answer is "Yes, absolutely" without the pointless, immature aggression exhibited by the firm "Yes" choice.

Salad Is Murder

Oct 27, 2007
Yopaz said:
I'm a pacifist so my answer is no, I wouldn't shoot anyone ever. Wounded, saving anyone who's wounded, armed and ready. I would shoot none of those. I might have been able to show someone who was going to kill me, but I'm not even sure if I could do that, even if it only meant wounding him.
I'm curious...maybe you can answer since you're a pacifist. Would you hurt or kill to save your life or someone else's, or is it like the Champions (Sorry, Hero System 5th Edition) 50pt Total Commitment, Never Ever?

Sarah Kerrigan

Jan 17, 2010
I would never do it. They are (somehow defencless) helping a wounded brother, even if they are on the other, enemy side.

I would feel too horrible.

Philip Petrunak

Apr 3, 2010
Games? Of course, they're just games.

War? Depends. Are they helping civilian wounded, or fellow soldiers? Have they surrendered or negotiated a ceasefire? Cost/benefit wise, does it make sense considering possible blow-back? are they armed and reasonably capable of defending themselves? Is there a great chance that not shooting them could lead to them later attacking me or my people? War is never simple, and trying to approach it with stubborn objective ethics will only leave your side with greater losses.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Salad Is Murder said:
Yopaz said:
I'm a pacifist so my answer is no, I wouldn't shoot anyone ever. Wounded, saving anyone who's wounded, armed and ready. I would shoot none of those. I might have been able to show someone who was going to kill me, but I'm not even sure if I could do that, even if it only meant wounding him.
I'm curious...maybe you can answer since you're a pacifist. Would you hurt or kill to save your life or someone else's, or is it like the Champions (Sorry, Hero System 5th Edition) 50pt Total Commitment, Never Ever?
Tough questions since I haven't been in a situation like that before. In the most extreme I might have been able to hurt someone, but I think I would be unable to kill intentionally. I just can't be sure, sorry.

Numachuka

Sep 3, 2010
Generic Gamer said:
I'd refrain from shooting the medics but the dragger would get shot at.

Shooting at medics is a war crime I believe and they won't be shooting back whereas the dragging guy will be aiming to kill me a few seconds later.
Yeah, I don't think someone whose been shot is gunna try and kill you, and even if they do manage to hold up a gun they won't be able to aim it for shit.