Poll: Would You Shut Down Facebook?

TheXRatedDodo

Jan 7, 2009
No, because what right do I have? But part of me would love to be arrogant enough to say Yes.
I feel that these online social networking sites disconnect people more than connect them.

There was a time when you had to go up to somebody's door and knock and see if they were in, and then go and actually hang out with them in person and now it's a neverending stream of "YEAH WE'LL HANG OUT SOON MAN."

Those I get along best with seem to share the opinion that this is not a good thing, but I wouldn't just shut it down, what right do I have to undo all of someone else's hard work?

TheMann

Jul 13, 2010
Kadir said:
The answer is "no". Facebook keeps a lot of people employed.
Ninja'd, and twice I think, but yes, this is the best answer. I wouldn't shut it down because I don't want to cause a lot of people to be unemployed, I know how hard that can be. I have a Facebook page, but only because I used to write for a website, and the senior editor wanted us all to have a page for a Facebook group. I hardly, if ever, use the thing. Still, Facebook provides a ton of jobs for people as do companies like Zynga, even if you can't stand their product. I can't see the point to Facebook games, but what the hell do I care? I can imagine the scenario if someone clicked "yes".

"Hi honey how was your day?"

"Oh it sucked, I lost my job because some asshat on the internet felt that they just couldn't bear Facebook's existence. Well, I'm off to the unemployment office. Tell the kids that I hope they love a diet that consists solely of ramen and canned beans. Oh, I almost forgot; tell them we can't go visit Grandma and Grandpa this year and that they'll be receiving either pencils or socks for the holidays."

Okay, I've gone a Googlin' and have found that Facebook employs about 1600 people, and Zynga about 1200. So if you clicked yes, congratulations, you just wrecked 2800 people's livelihoods. Well, Zynga might be able to go somewhere other than Facebook, but still. Yeah, I'd feel real good about that one.

DominicxD

Dec 28, 2009
Fuck no.

Facebook is a wonderful thing in reality. It can help things that deserve to be popular actually become popular, it can lead to relationships and jobs and all sorts of things. There are people out there who enjoy Facebook, why should I be allowed to take that away from them just because I don't use and some of the users are stupid?

Cavouku

Mar 14, 2008
Would it say "No", or "Not Right Now"?

Joking aside... there's a lot of things I don't like about Facebook. A lot of ways I believe the world would be better without it...

But... even if we shut down Facebook today, another site would pop up in minutes. There are many that already are looking to take advantage of the opportunity.

For now, it lives... but I don't like it.

Cavouku

Mar 14, 2008
Kris015 said:
I use Facebook quite a lot, so no.

And even if I didn't use it I wouldn't shut it down.

godfist88 said:
personally i don't use Facebook, but i'm not gonna screw everyone else over because i don't like it.
(That's why)

You wouldn't kill Justin Bieber (or any other "hated" artist) just because you don't like him.

Sure.

*EDIT: Your post did not have anything to do with this bloody tire-iron.

ender214

Oct 30, 2008
In context of your question, I would have to say yes, just because I would be curious what would happen next.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Depends if I was feeling like a troll or not. Yes for that rare occasion, no for every other time.

Ganthrinor

Apr 15, 2009
I would click "Yes".

Then I would dance around my room cackling maniacly and scream about burning, cleansing and just make a general scene.

Do I have a reason for this? Nah.

Spiner909

Dec 3, 2009
I would certainly like to kill it, but (urgh) it has done too many good things for this world. Besides the whole, sell your personal data thing.

Afrozodiac

Nov 9, 2010
After careful consideration, I said yes. Not because I hate facebook or it's ability to suck time from everyone it comes into contact with, but because without it, people would have time to do more influential things... like the apocalypse.

In all seriousness, yes facebook would die so the world could finally live again without having to read your status updates.

Zaik

Jul 20, 2009
No.

As much as I dislike how it's invaded almost everything on the internet with the whole "Like" thing, it's an incredibly useful tool for getting dox on retards that are asking for a few strippers and pizzas to be delivered to their house.