Poll: Would you support a human Genophage?

Grathius22

Jul 6, 2010
Way too many people support this than I had hoped. I know understand how the 'Once great Krogan homeworld' became what it was in Mass Effect.

Seriously, pretty much the same thing I'd imagine.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
There is a HUGE difference between Genophage and population control.

I would NEVER support something as horrible as the Genophage. I even told that to Mordin and I told him he was a horrible, horrible person. And we weren't even testing for that...

But I would support some kind of population control or better to say law that would heavily punish people who aren't supposed to have any more children. You see all the times when idiots who can't support even one child have over 5 kids. That's horrible. There should seriously be some parenting licence.
And with the internet and all it's benefits, it's really easy to keep track of the number of births/deaths and keep the numbers "stable".

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
There are far to many humans. I would support a Genophage. Hell, I'd support a Reaper invasion. And that's not just the indoctrination talking, I really mean it.

Either that or we wait for the Hannar to save us and let them turn our kids into bad ass assassins. I think that's the sounder option.

Imperius

Sep 13, 2010
It makes me wonder if Hitler started the mass genocides of certain races because the Nazis knew there were going to be far too many people around in the future.
After all, he did claim his campaign on the Eastern Front was to give Lebensraum or Living room for the German people.

Kefo

May 19, 2010
I'll be glad when the ME3 hype train has left the station and perhaps some of the stupidity that creates ideas like this will go with it

quantumsoul

Jun 10, 2010
In societies where women work and have equal rights populations are stable. If you treat women like baby factories you'll get excessive births. You don't need a genophage; all you need to do is put girls and school and women to work.

Blobpie

May 20, 2009
i would like to point out that when we reach the maximum viable population; it will level out.
People will die, form famine, pestilence and violence. And alot of them will die, but the population will naturally level out.

Imperius

Sep 13, 2010
As I see it, there's only two solutions to this problem:
One: Start a massive war in which one side performs genocide.
Two: Get our shit together and get colonies out in space.

*Three* Turn half the population into vampires, and have them feed on the last surviving humans.

Kefo

May 19, 2010
Imperius said:
As I see it, there's only two solutions to this problem:
One: Start a massive war in which one side performs genocide.
Two: Get our shit together and get colonies out in space.

*Three* Turn half the population into vampires, and have them feed on the last surviving humans.
That didnt work they just started having human shortages...at least until they found out the cure for vampirism was sunlight *mind boggle*

aashell13

Jan 31, 2011
overpopulation is avoidable without such drastic measures. the birthrate falls off dramatically as countries develop and the education level of women improves; in fact several developed nations, most notably japan, have birthrates below replacement levels.

so no, no genophage, or any other global population control program.

CaptOfSerenity

Mar 8, 2011
Infertility's not a disease, and people need to realize that kids are fucking terrible creatures, who grow up to be not very good people. Most of us are mediocre at best, in terms of morality. We are manipulative, crass, psychotic assholes. I'm all up for it.

Also, no more having 7 kids per family.

Comando96

May 26, 2009
Chaosritter said:
I grew up in a rural area where farmers still applied ye olden methods.

Believe it or not, but people use to fertilize their fields for thousands of years already, long before petrochemical products even existed.

A mixture of animal feces and water for example provides a fair amount of nutrients and minerals, and since pretty much everything poops, we shouldn't run short on it anythime soon. Covering the ground with compost (in other words: rotten biological waste) is quite effective as well.

We couldn't produce the same quantities of course, but given that the current mixture of mono cultures and chemical fertilizers literally rapes the ground and we waste large amounts of food every day (just look at Mc Donalds quality control methods that require to trash everything that didn't get sold in a matter of minutes), that might not be so bad after all. A little rationing, a reduction of the meat production and a complete stop of this goddamn bio fuel production and nobody needs to starve, unless the population keeps growing at the current rate.
I live in Leominster, Herefordshire.

Its bloody rural round 'ere.

The County

The Countryside with Dinmore hill in the background. In Welsh Dinmore hill would mean big hill hill.

Where I live
EDIT:
Fucking hell I can actually see my house O_O And the route in one of the fields I use to walk my dog...

Where I live... while flooded a few years ago.

The Capital "City" Hereford in 1877

Hereford... now...

Its one of the most Rural area's of the country to have people living in.

When we talk about fertilizers... lets not confuse those made in factories and those out of cow shit. One is bullshit compared to the other... pun fully well intended.

Its the concentration that modern fertilizers have over the old. Ammonium nitrate is one of the fertilizers and this is a simple chemical to make... but very hard to do on a factory scale. This is where the use of oil comes in key and is the difference. Manure would have a concentration of Nitrogen, Phosphorus and Potassium of 10-15%, averaging at 14%. Synthetic fertilizers a concentration ranging from 20%-60% depending on what you want to buy.

Once we can't do that... we need fewer humans... or at the very least to stop at 7 Billion...
We COULD afford 7 Billion humans and POSSIBLY MAYBE even a few more if we all went vegetarian... but then... how shall we produce that maure? :s

Sporky111 said:
I maintain that overpopulation isn't the real problem, I think it comes down to money. It's not that we have too many people, it's that it's that there just aren't enough jobs being made for them.
Sorry... what bullshit is this? Jobs made for people?

This is the problem the planet is running into. An increasing population with resources being finite. You don't find jobs for people... you find people for jobs. The human race since the Industrial Revolution has increased mechanisation drastically, first due to steam and then oil. More machines, fewer people are needed. This is a good thing, unless the population increases unnecessarily... which it has... resulting in over population.

Sporky111 said:
Billions of dollars are sitting in rich folk's bank accounts doing fuck-all, when that money could be invested or spent somewhere else. Invest in a business, invest in the government, do something humanitarian.
Money is a representation of available resources. Oddly enough if someone used 100 billion Dollars the cost of what they bought would go up and therefore not benefit other people. Standard rule of economics... just letting you know. More money that is applied the more it costs the Africans to eat unless you employ them all... but if you did that the Greeks would find it harder to eat... also if more Africans could eat then the more the population would go up leading to the point where... oh wait... lets not do that.

Sporky111 said:
The planet is sustainable, we sure don't need to start chemically castrating people. We just need to get the rich fuckers and governments doing their part instead of lining their own pockets.
True... well actually not the rich in Government but mainly their friends who fund their campaigns.
But yes... something should be done with that money... like making a fertility lowering compound that can be released into the global water supply that can be countered at will.

Sporky111 said:
Even then, I won't deny the mass starvation in third world countries. But that could still be helped with a more determined aid program from the wealthier nations of the world. These countries could be developed into self-sustainability, but not enough people out there can find the money to put forward.
There is a key problem with medicine. People live longer. People living longer equates to more resources being required for them to live... that means food... and that requires oil... and that is running out.

Your head is in the clouds mate... sorry but we need fewer people and to maximize farm land around the world and get ourselves at oil before it runs out and we find our civilization ripping itself apart.

Solar, no too little time and organisation.
Wind, no, you must be fucking joking.
Nuclear, A transition fuel at most. Uranium is mined and there is a finite amount of it... at best we can use all of it up while we change to electricity... nothing permanent.

Are we fucked? No... not quite.

2 key area's need to be adressed. Firstly eveything that uses oil needs to be adaped or changed. This includes Agriculture, Plastics... how the hell do we make enough food as well as a replacement for Plastics??? Carbon Polymers have been revolutional... when we run out........................................... just... the best alternative at the moment is some form of hardened paper... but agriculture... fuck thats a hard problem to solve.

As for electricity... Nuclear Fusion. Lets not fuck around, we need Fusion or we are fucked.
A BBC documentary hosted by Brian Cox looked into it at depth... and without it... we're fucked...

Iron Lightning

Lightweight Extreme
Oct 19, 2009
Ah, yes, using an uncontrollable, evolving virus to make large segments of the population infertile is a great way to preserve the longevity of the human race. Even if we accept the premise that overpopulation will be a significant issue using a "Genophage" is the stupidest solution that I can think of.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Only under the express stipulation that it's all about getting rid of the terminally idiotic. And by that, I mean people who have far too many DUH moments in life when they shouldn't.

nackertash

Feb 14, 2009
It's a good idea from a distance, but if i were one of the 1 in 3 I would start violently rioting as im sure many many would.

Not because i wouldn't be able to reproduce, but because someone else made a decision to take away something that is a part of me. Something given to you by no one, something no one can ever have any right to take away, someone else making a decision that you will not take part in what is essentially the most important thing a person can do.

It might be necessary but its also the most fucking disgusting and incomprehensibly evil things that could ever be done.

nackertash

Feb 14, 2009
FalloutJack said:
Only under the express stipulation that it's all about getting rid of the terminally idiotic. And by that, I mean people who have far too many DUH moments in life when they shouldn't.
When I become The First King of Earth I plan on getting all the idiots in a big sports hall and just spraying into them with automatic weapons to pass the time.

I would say vote for me but there will be no voting involved.