Poll: Would you trade the ability to have children for immortality?

Crazy

Oct 4, 2011
I don't want double the immortality, and I would like mini-mes running around.

BumblebeeEU

Jun 23, 2011
I don't understand this whole, if I am immortal life will be awesome cos I could do anything I want! woo! thing.

You would still have to either work/spend time making enough money so that you don't have to work. if you did the first, it would get dull after 100 years or so I'm sure. (I've only been working 5 and its damn dull.) The later I can see the same problem, if you have nothing to do all day but play games, surely that would get tedious.

No, as the saying goes, too much of a good thing can be a bad thing. Life is a good thing I think and I would like to give that gift to others. So Kids for me!

RagTagBand

Jul 7, 2011
I hit "Yes" because I wouldn't want a "No" vote to be seen as implying That I want children; I don't, But i'd prefer immortality over children even though I don't really want immortality either.

I'll be honest with you, I'd trade my ability to have children for pretty much anything.

Sep 14, 2009
you do realize youare asking the wrongggg people this question? most escapist hate children with a passion, so this question is a no brainer.

me personally? yeah it'd be great to live forever learning everything and doing whatever i want, but it'd get old quick not being able to raise my own family with how i envisioned it, so nahh, ill die.

Zarmi

Jul 16, 2010
Oh boy.. Yes, without even bothering to think it through. I hate kids..

Ouroboros0977

Jan 1, 2009
Considering I am in a serious relationship that is considering children, no. Even if the offer was given to my spouse, I would still argue no as it is our lack of eternity together that is making us do stuff together. The fear of loss of each other drives some of our most thoughtful tokens of affection.
*note* She was looking over my shoulder upon writing but my reasons and answer remain the same.

Bunnymarn

Oct 8, 2008
Well, I don't want kids (at the moment), but I don't want immortality either. Don't really see why you'd want immortality... This isn't Twilight where you can pick up 16 year old chicks, even though you're 100+.

sanomaton

Oct 25, 2008
Havegun said:
I wouldn't. Mainly, I want to have children and grandchildren and so on, old-fashioned as I am.
But also, the idea of immortality sort of scares me. I can't very well explain it, other than all forms of infinity disturb me. I like a sense of finality to everything.
This. 100% this. It's really disturbing. I don't want to live forever, to see everyone I love die and essentially be alone. It would get really lonely, me thinks.

And I want to have children, too. So no, no thanks.

alliedlama

Nov 18, 2009
Immortality would be awful. From the off you'd think along the lines of- yes! I can live forever, see everything, do as much as can be done and all that shit. But then, you wouldnt age with your family and friends, they would all grow old and change, and you would remain the same, unable to understand your own generation anymore, let alone the forward thinking ways of a new one, caught in a limbo between being old and young and part of neither forever. Then all the people you know and love would die around you. You'd soon discover that in having an eternal life everything would lose meaning- what would be the point in pursuing something with passion if it could be done tomorrow? or indeed what would be the point in pursuing it when you know it would eventually dissappear and cease to exist as society moves on from it? everyone you meet and would build a relationship with would eventually become another death, another person who couldnt be there for you when you needed them and eventually it would become too hard to even speak to people from the thought of them dying. You would become a lonely drifter, living forever on and on without meaning or purpose, wracked by the knowledge that everything you ever build, love, fight for, whatever will cease to exist before you ever will.
Wow... that would be really sad. Naawww....
Yeah, so anyway, its much better to just accept death however scary it is and get on with the baby making.

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
No. I want kids someday. Besides, immortality never appealed to me anyway. Throw in "I become Supreme Evil Ruler of the Cosmos", then it'll be a difficult decision.

Korolev

No Time Like the Present
Jul 4, 2008
Absolutely. I am curious to see what happens to humanity in the future - immortality will allow me to sit back and watch what happens.

I don't want children anyway.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Nope I wouldn't trade for it. Beside since immortality mean living forever, I could still technically live on (albeit there no guaranteed I will live on) via history.
What I mean is when I have a child and he/ she has a child in the future I will be a grandfather. As long I spend time for my grandchild he/ she will get to know me even when I passed away. When my grandchild is old enough to have a child, he/ she may tell their child about me and so on and on.
I will live on throught story and memory just as long my name and recording of my action are printed somewhere on the family tree.

zenoaugustus

Feb 5, 2009
Nah, I don't want to live forever. What happens when all my buddies die and I'm left alone. And I like kids anyways, even if they are a pain in the ass.

Christian Amado

Jun 14, 2011
So we're talking eternal youth, huh? Yes. Yes, I would.

If I ever feel the need to be a father I'll just adopt instead. I don't need the ego boost of a lil' me. Especially not if I can have real me around instead.

qeinar

Jul 14, 2009
having kids when your imortal would be kinda sad since they day their borne you know you are going to outlive it. I'd just adopt someone every 60 years or so. it also kinda depends on if this immortality keeps me young.

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
Reproduction is a biologically unimpressive feat (As in having the ability to reproduce is not impressive, not that the process itself isn't pretty amazing). One can substitute this with adoption, which is more sustainable. A higher goal then biological reproduction is Memetic reproduction. Passing on your knowledge and ideas to the rest of the world. Biological reproduction is simply the most common means of Memetic reproduction. But it is not the only viable way to leave a legacy. Immortality in a heartbeat.