Poll: Would you use Genetic Manipulation as a Body Modification?

CulixCupric

Oct 20, 2011
Hypothetically, If, in the near future, scientist and geneticist figure out how to do seamless genetic manipulation, would you use Genetic Manipulation as a Body Modification? What about for correcting genetic defects? [EDIT: any kind of genetic manipulation.]

EDIT: Also, remember, it's genetic, so it will pass on to your kids, and their kids, etc.

List of genetic defects: http://www.knowyourgenes.org/genetic_diseases.shtml?_kk=types%20of%20genetic%20diseases&_kt=3e666340-f928-469d-9000-b1224bc2ad28&gclid=CPnqzfv1-KwCFRBphwodcV6cUg

Also, what are your thoughts on Genetic Manipulation? what do you know about it, is it possible, what are the limits, etc? 'cause i really want to learn more.

examples of modifications (done digitally){EDIT: not limited to}:

Werewolf
elves, and yes, i know that you can get a surgery to make your ears elven.

Conza

Nov 7, 2010
Not for any of the reasons you've given, no way. But if I didn't like my eye colour, and wanted to go Green or Hazel or something, maybe - I would use it for more down to earth things though, like fixing any possible genetic defects I might have, ect.

I mean who would seriously want to have fangs or look like a walking dog?

Dec 14, 2009
If we have gentic modification, it won't be to make us look like every angsty teenage cliche in the book.

It will actually be useful.

It will be to eradicate defects and improve someone's life, not fulfill furry fantasies.

CulixCupric

Oct 20, 2011
usmarine4160 said:
we don't have the genetic code for cat or snake eyes.
actually, it is possible that we already do.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2004/05/08/GENES.TMP

http://www.psrast.org/junkdna.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noncoding_DNA

also, splicing is possible.

dead.juice

Jul 1, 2011
Catgirl up there is hot.
And hell yeah I'd use it. I want my pre=smoking lungs back, or lungs that allow me to smoke safely.
I'm built well, so I don't need no body mods. But I have no friggin stamina anymore thanks to cigs (heed ye, children and non-smokers!).
I fractured my right hand last year on Christmas Eve, and the knuckles are kinda fucked up. It would be nice to fix that.

Oh, and the catgirl up there is hot.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/kym-assets/photos/images/masonry/000/146/638/laaah20110725-22047-36bnym.jpg?1318992465

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
I see no real real reason against using genetic modification for cosmetic purposes both before or after childbirth.

Honestly, let people look however they want. It's would do a lot to kill the sentiments who still think racism is alive in the mainstream of the first world, and put a gag on people who scream about fantasy artwork and such and "unreasonable body standards".

To be blunt, I think you'll rapidly find things turning out like some near-future novels and such where when everyone has the abillity to look like a god/goddess, people are going to get more creative to stand out... perhaps even seeing uglification parlours, fattie contests, and flab lifting competitions (heh, kudos to those who get the referances... award yourself 100 nerd points). :)

kurupt87

Fuhuhzucking hellcocks I'm good
Mar 17, 2010
If by seamless you mean knowing everything that the gene you are changing codes for and everything that the one your changing to codes for, and how/if that'd affect my mind, then maybe. Otherwise, fuck no.

natster43

Jul 10, 2009
I would love for genetic modifications. I would totally get things to remove any genetic problems, as well as a better metabloism and probably something to make me have better stamina and agility. Probably other things after those, but nothing I can think of.

Seneschal

Blessed are the righteous
Jun 27, 2009
Sure, why not?

I probably wouldn't get any of the modifications, but I see it becoming a craze. The stuff in the pictures would probably require fictitious lego-genetics, but altering your eye or skin colour by rewriting what kind of melanin the cells produce sounds doable. Plus, fluorescent colours, bioluminescent pigments, wonky shape-changing tattoos...

Personally, I'll stick to practical modifications, like eliminating hereditary diseases. And making myself PRETTY.

Dags90

Oct 27, 2009
usmarine4160 said:
Now tweaking genetics to fight inherited conditions is possible and yes, I totally support that but you're talking "Splice" here
Come on, you know there will be there guys out there using it to...increase their size.

The real question is, what would the limit be? At what point would those insecure rich boys go "no, this is too big"?

Handbag1992

Apr 20, 2009
I think I would, but only in subtle ways. I'd extend my lifespan, improve my vision and grow an ink pouch to allow me to blind my enemies and flee.

Zorg Machine

Jul 28, 2008
I would like another 4 centimeters in length if possible. Also I could go for some regrowing shark teeth, resistance to viruses and maybe a different metabolic system that allows me to stay in shape with less effort.

Oh, almost forgot the regenerating cells of the jellyfish that will give me immortality.

Marcus Kehoe

Mar 18, 2011
As long as this isn't done before child birth then whatever, someone has to choose to have it done to themselves. I'd never do it though, anything where people are doing something to improve it usually goes horribly.

Seneschal

Blessed are the righteous
Jun 27, 2009
Dags90 said:
usmarine4160 said:
Now tweaking genetics to fight inherited conditions is possible and yes, I totally support that but you're talking "Splice" here
Come on, you know there will be there guys out there using it to...increase their size.

The real question is, what would the limit be? At what point would those insecure rich boys go "no, this is too big"?
Well, since there isn't any authority that apprehends tattoo-nuts when they decide to ink every inch of their skin, I assume no one would stop people from gengineering themselves 10-metre cocks. However, unlike tattoos, going around with one of those flopping behind you is not just uncomfortable but also in breach of public nudity laws.

Oh boy, future lawmakers will have their hands full. "If one wants to transmogrify oneself into a non-functional monstrous blubbery form, does stopping them constitute as a violation of human rights?"

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
Dags90 said:
usmarine4160 said:

Not before wheelbarrows become involved.

OT: I'd first like genetics to get to the point where they actually know what the hell they're doing. So far the chances of them going "whoops" when I start growing scales due to an unforeseen side-effect would be a bit too much for comfort.

In a hypothetical world, where I can get a 100% guarantee: sure, might tweak a few things.

Marcus Kehoe said:
As long as this isn't done before child birth then whatever, someone has to choose to have it done to themselves. I'd never do it though, anything where people are doing something to improve it usually goes horribly.
You do realise that the thing with genetics is that, well, it's genetic? And who's to say your future kids appreciate the fangs you're passing on?