Poll: Would you use Genetic Manipulation as a Body Modification?

CulixCupric

Oct 20, 2011
plugav said:
Imagine a baby born with its parents' piercings and tattoos - it would pretty much like that.
they can be reversed just as easily as they were added.
SkullKing84 said:
A super-soldier package (clean up my genetic code and make me peek of "human" potential), and make myself a foot taller (currently at 5'4"). Thats before i go muck it up. What ever field career i choose to dive into.. Maybe some spider-like spinnerets to produce material for clothing and/or Kevlar. Or maybe Thick elephant hide or insect exoskeleton, retractable claws that have a poison gland that will paralyze most people (Bodyguard/cop job).

But, for my own pleasures... i'd become a monster. Give me the Cthulhu treatment.
so, like a mindflayer from D&D? that would be interesting.

8-Bit_Jack said:
then again, imagine the fran cosplayers :3
does that mean franchise cosplayers? if so, think of all the anime characters in real life. what if they learn jiujitsu?

Fiad

Apr 3, 2010
Well I would wait a few years after it came out to public just so it sort of became the norm for body mods to exist as well as for any kinks in the system to be worked out. But I would not mind a tail/ears. Or I could just say screw it and go for the full furry makeover.

Though I have to wonder, if this went widespread and became very common, like as common as ear piercings or something, if it would effect if you got hired at places. I would say yes because tattoos are common, but the larger ones are still frowned upon. Maybe years and years down the line people would just start ignoring it.

Though since I would bet this would be expensive, and it gets passed on to your kids, that it would be more easy to overlook the mods. I mean, if your dad got turned into a dogman, then the kid is now a dogman. Then that kid is refused a job for being a dogman, but can't change back to normal due to not having a job for the expensive treatment. That would be similar to denying a job based on race.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
Somehow I get the feeling people don't realize how genetic modification works.

This isn't fiction where you get bitten by radioactive spiders and get superpowers or a third limb. Genetic modification, the way it works, lets just say, you'd be the last person to have any say in your own modifications, the choices would have been made for you by others.

Yuki_Seele

Apr 14, 2011
I don't think i would have any physical changes, i don't think it matters tbh, however i think that i would definetly have new organs grown so i could replace the ones my Diabetes is currently destroying.

Wushu Panda

Jul 4, 2011
CulixCupric said:
Hypothetically, If, in the near future, scientist and geneticist figure out how to do seamless genetic manipulation, would you use Genetic Manipulation as a Body Modification? What about for correcting genetic defects? [EDIT: any kind of genetic manipulation.]

EDIT: Also, remember, it's genetic, so it will pass on to your kids, and their kids, etc.

List of genetic defects: http://www.knowyourgenes.org/genetic_diseases.shtml?_kk=types%20of%20genetic%20diseases&_kt=3e666340-f928-469d-9000-b1224bc2ad28&gclid=CPnqzfv1-KwCFRBphwodcV6cUg

Also, what are your thoughts on Genetic Manipulation? what do you know about it, is it possible, what are the limits, etc? 'cause i really want to learn more.
Ive always thought of these kinds of treatments, ever since I saw this one Batman Beyond episode where ppl inject themselves and gain animal attributes (eyes, tongue, etc). I wouldnt mind some enhanced vision, both clarity and night. Even a boost to my other senses. This can be looked at as a mockery to nature, or seen as completely natural. All animals have attributes to help them survive, humans gained wider brain functions to build technology. This could be seen as an extension of that human attribute towards enhancing genetic structure. They already have gene therapy treatments, this would be a more proactive version of those.
usmarine4160 said:
Those pictures don't make sense, we don't have the genetic code for cat or snake eyes. It's not there and can't be done for the same reason you can't crossbreed a bat with a horse (not that reason!).

Now tweaking genetics to fight inherited conditions is possible and yes, I totally support that but you're talking "Splice" here
They didnt say we have the genetic codes now. Scientists have been trying to map out genetic codes for a while now. They do believe to have pinpointed a few attributes like regeneration in some marine life. The genetic structure contains almost every natural detail of an organism. Likewise, scientists have been able to "program" viruses. As a hypothetical example, in Stargate Atlantis, one of the scientists has a gene treatment that overwrites some human DNA to match with an ancient race of humans to allow modern people to use the ancient technology.

Splicing isnt the same as crossbreeding. You wouldnt be screwing a cat to get eyes. All life on Earth has 4 base pairs that write our DNA. It would be a matter of figuring out how to re-arrange those proteins that say you have a round pupil and certain colored eyes.

I would fear consequences of splicing. Possible genetic deterioration from messing with the protein bonds

smurf_you

Jun 1, 2010
YES!!!!! *coughs* I mean .... yes, I would.

I've actually always wanted a tail >.> no I don't know why, but I've always wanted one, and cat ears... *shrugs*

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
With a little suspension of disbelief (because having cat ears is, you know... impossible), I don't think I would do any of that. I could go with something more subtle like better lungs, heart or something similar, but not because of cosmetic changes...

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Wushu Panda said:
usmarine4160 said:
Those pictures don't make sense, we don't have the genetic code for cat or snake eyes. It's not there and can't be done for the same reason you can't crossbreed a bat with a horse (not that reason!).

Now tweaking genetics to fight inherited conditions is possible and yes, I totally support that but you're talking "Splice" here
Splicing isnt the same as crossbreeding. You wouldnt be screwing a cat to get eyes. All life on Earth has 4 base pairs that write our DNA. It would be a matter of figuring out how to re-arrange those proteins that say you have a round pupil and certain colored eyes.

I would fear consequences of splicing. Possible genetic deterioration from messing with the protein bonds
The problem is, its not that simple... Even when we could identify the proteins that make eyes color, its not the same as a tail or underwater breathing lungs. Some simple characteristics, like eyes or skin color can be mapped to a few, independent, section, but more complex ones are all over the map. There is no switch for "vampire wings on". Those characteristics are spread among the entire DNA and possibly overlap with other, somewhat more vital information (like information on how to turn food into energy).

Genetics is like chemistry, not like a puzzle game. Its closer to cooking than to engineering. If you try to fit half the DNA of a spider with half of a monkey you don't get a spider-monkey, as much as you won't get a delicious yet healthy cake if you mix half the recipe of one with the other.

CulixCupric

Oct 20, 2011
CulixCupric said:
yeah, that's a common one i've been seeing in the replies, cat ears and cat tails. can someone explain why?
smurf_you said:

I've actually always wanted a tail >.> no I don't know why, but I've always wanted one, and cat ears... *shrugs*
Why do half of you want cat ears?
Please?

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
CulixCupric said:
CulixCupric said:
yeah, that's a common one i've been seeing in the replies, cat ears and cat tails. can someone explain why?
smurf_you said:

Please?
Here's your explanation, or at least part of it. [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catgirl]

OT:
smurf_you said:
What she said.

[sub][sub][sub]and an x chromosone...[/sub][/sub][/sub]

CulixCupric

Oct 20, 2011
Rainboq said:
Here's your explanation, or at least part of it. [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catgirl]
I understand it's a catgirl/catboy thing from manga/anime, but why is it so popular?

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
CulixCupric said:
Rainboq said:
I understand it's a catgirl/catboy thing from manga/anime, but why is it so popular?
Why is Twilight popular?

Because it appeals to a group of people.

smurf_you

Jun 1, 2010
CulixCupric said:
CulixCupric said:
smurf_you said:

Please?
For me it's because of the connotations in manga, I'm very playful, and I actually occasionally act like a cat >.>

(I got high off cat nip once, don't ask I don't know) Also, I like that you know the Nostalgia Critic ^_^ that made me laugh very hard :3

CulixCupric

Oct 20, 2011
smurf_you said:
For me it's because of the connotations in manga, I'm very playful, and I actually occasionally act like a cat >.>

(I got high off cat nip once, don't ask I don't know) Also, I like that you know the Nostalgia Critic ^_^ that made me laugh very hard :3
ah, that makes sense, as my personality matches that of my favorite animal too. it's otters.

Kvaedi

Jul 7, 2011
I have some of the worst eyes in the world. I am colorblind, extremely nearsighted, have a lazy eye, and am recovering from surgery for a retinal detachment. Things to look forward to in the future are my family's history of macular degeneration and cataracts. I would kill to have perfect eyes, and pass them on to my children.