Poll: Would you vote for a presdential republican candidate...

drisky

Mar 16, 2009
I will vote for who I believe will end wars and create jobs first and foremost. Usually that is the Democrat. I'm not an Atheist and I don't see how not believing in a higher power makes someone a better leader than someone who does. Also Obama is doing fine, and don't see a need for fresh blood at the moment.

funguy2121

Oct 20, 2009
SaneAmongInsane said:
That was an atheist? He shares the same views as most of the Republican party except for the ones backed by theology. Not necessarily pro-gay marriage, more apathetic to it then anything else.

And for the sake of keeping the argument legitimate, this candidate is crazy rich so he can afford to run with out the help of lobbyists funding. Also he publicly states that while he lacks a "christian" moral compass he lives by a code of What Would Superman Do? ("You believe in your fictional character, I'll believe in mine" he defends)

The person running against him on the democratic ticket is Obama.

This is probably a poor discussion topic, I was just thinking to myself that though I agree with the republican party on some very major fundamental things (Small government) their extreme non-secular opinions on things like Gay marriage is something I can't compromise on (as well as certain social changes I agree with)
I thought I smelled an Objectivist, then you mentioned Superman.

I'm registered Independent but I can't see voting Republican without a major housecleaning regarding their leadership. Can't say I'm terribly pleased with Obama overall right now but I will vote for him in the next election nevertheless.

I'm more optimistic than most but I'm still skeptical about a viable Atheist candidate running for President in our collective lifetime. I just don't think someone can win without courting the Christians. It shouldn't matter, but it does.

j0frenzy

Dec 26, 2008
Everyone who is saying that religious Republicans are a minority have clearly never been to the Bible belt. Trust me. They exist and they are a force. The person who almost won my state's Governorship was running on the platform of the ACLU took away our prayer in public schools, I will fight for your right to be a Christian. He only lost because Gingrich and Palin endorsed two other candidates in the primary.

funguy2121

Oct 20, 2009
emeraldrafael said:
I remember (well, I dont, I wasnt born yet, but my grandfather talks about it all the time), when Kennedy was elected and he was and Irish Catholic in the 1950-1960s. And that was considered the worst thing possible.

So honestly this wouldnt bother me. As long as they werent like Obama or Bush. Besides, I doubt I would vote (or if I did, really cared. I know, I should, and Americans dont appreciate it and all that, but i just dont see the huge deal, considering that the guy usually screws you over in the end).

Also, I dont think Obama will run next election. I know he said he will, but I doubt he'll be hte Democrats man.

Now if it were Hillary on the ballot, then I would vote fo her, just to get bill back in, cause he kept the US in good economic times.
I'm glad you don't vote if you don't care. All of the people who are disaffected and cynical about the electoral process and American politics in general: if you're a friend and I think I can persuade you otherwise, I will. If not, I don't want you voting (I do not mean this as an insult). So don't let anyone give you shit over it.

Obama has announced his run for presidency in 2012. I doubt Hillary will run against him since she's his SecState, but you can bet she'll run again in another 4 years, and may well be our first Madame President. Bill and Hillary are definitely a team, and I'm sure they'd have very similar economic policies, but I don't think the First Man (or whatever) would impact policy much. Could be wrong though.

XelaisPWN

Jun 8, 2009
...but... I thought the whole point behind conservatism was to try to elect God as president?

Wolfenbarg

Terrible Person
Oct 18, 2010
2fish said:
Wolfenbarg said:
I want someone fiscally conservative in the White House next term. I don't care if they're a level 5 laser Buddhist, as long as they're for balancing the budget and getting US spending under control.
While it would be nice to see spending under control it is not going to happen. The economic issues are a nice burdern that if the gov stop spending to support everyone elese it will take much longer to fix. So I say flat tax rate everyone pays 5% of their earnings, but that is off topic and i do not want to derail the op so.

If I thoight said person was the best choice yes I would vote for them, I don't think they would have much chance due to the number of people I know that vote that consider religion a major factor, but hey worth a shot.
Government spending isn't pulling us out of a recession. They can stand to make plenty of cuts. If they don't, then we inch closer and closer to the dollar losing an incredible amount of damage in the global market. Since it is based on good faith in our currency instead of a precious metal, that is the absolute worst case scenario.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
I would vote for a republican no doubt. Its conservatives I wont vote for. (They are not the same things, republicans are politicians, conservatives are horrible monsters who use politics to ruin lives)

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
funguy2121 said:
I'm glad you don't vote if you don't care. All of the people who are disaffected and cynical about the electoral process and American politics in general: if you're a friend and I think I can persuade you otherwise, I will. If not, I don't want you voting (I do not mean this as an insult). So don't let anyone give you shit over it.

Probably should start with this, cause the more I read wht I aid, the weirder I feel about it. Its not as iff I dont care what happens, I can just never get behind anyone. The only person I every voted for was our rep to PA House because James Casorio (jr.) was the man, and did so much work for families like mine where we had a single parent and low income. And he was only getting run out of town because he was a Dem, and people had enough of the Dems, and I didnt feel that hte republican was qualified to take casorio's place. and whats sad is he'll probably never get it back. So i just dont care about hte national stuff, cause no candidate has ever made a great influence on me outside of Bill Clinton (I dont know why, he jsut seemed like the man, and my mom always tells me that when I was young I wanted the sax man to stay in the big white house).

Obama has announced his run for presidency in 2012. I doubt Hillary will run against him since she's his SecState, but you can bet she'll run again in another 4 years, and may well be our first Madame President. Bill and Hillary are definitely a team, and I'm sure they'd have very similar economic policies, but I don't think the First Man (or whatever) would impact policy much. Could be wrong though.
I wish Hillary would run this year. Actually, no, I dont. I want a republican to come in so that Fox News can swallow some humble pie when they realize that the Republican ideals are not wat are needed in a recession like this and that tax cuts for the rich is such a bullshit plan. But I would want hillary to run in four years, just because she would have Bill, and he would definitely play a part, because he has the experience, and the name, and has dealt with some of these people in the world. So I think just saying I'm back in the house and back my wife would be enough political sway for impact.

bdcjacko

Gone Fonzy
Jun 9, 2010
What...I would and have voted for republicans before. I voted G Dub. Now as for an atheist, that wouldn't bother me or turn me away as long as I feel they are a strong candidate.

funguy2121

Oct 20, 2009
Gaming King said:
L
Belated said:
Gaming King said:
LegendaryGamer0 said:
I vote... for Sakura.

She is the best choice. :p

[sub]Damn, sleepy... need... rest...[/sub]
FUCK YEA.

ALSO, topic creator, a candidate's religion or lack thereof shouldn't be a factor, really. It's not relevant to politics as much as you might think. Also, most Americans oppose "gay marriage," so you calling that "extreme" is flat-out wrong. Obama doesn't support that, even.
Au contraire, I'd be willing to bet that most of us do support it. Or would support it if they weren't influenced by yet another tired old "think of the children" argument. I had a friend who once believed that allowing gay marriage would somehow corrupt children because they may have to be taught about it in schools as a result. Firstly, no they wouldn't. They don't teach us about straight marriage in school, so why would they teach us about gay marriage? Secondly, let's pretend for a second that they would teach gay marriage in schools. In this case, so what? The little brats can handle it. They're not THAT stupid.

Anyway, I explained both of these points to my friend, and he switched his position. You see, I think that a lot of the people who are against gay marriage, aren't REALLY against gay marriage, but just afraid of how it will affect children. Because people are stupid about children. You wave a kid around and people will believe anything you have to say. As long as it's "FOR THA KEEDZ!" You don't even have to explain your argument. Literally just pick up a kid, wave him around like a flag, and say "Look, a kid!", and people will assume your position is valid, no matter what your position is.

In other words, being against gay rights totally IS an extremist point of view. The only reason it has such a high following is likely because somebody waved a kid around at some point and said "think of the children." At least, that's what I think happened.
You're completely wrong. First off, the more "normal" you make it, the more likely it is to affect children. Secondly, that's far from the only aspect that's fucked up about it. The union between a man and a woman is different than anything else, and the only pairing capable of producing offspring. It should therefore be defined differently, as it is not the same thing. Anyway, now taking a nap.
Then /thread it and please don't be impertinent. You kind of provided supporting evidence for Belated's point when you mentioned children yourself. I will point out, though, that for a very long time the majority of Americans were against the abolition of slavery, and I still consider that an extremist view.

funguy2121

Oct 20, 2009
Murais said:
subtlefuge said:
I still think Mitt Romney was the best presidential candidate in 2008, period, and he was Mormon.

Maybe I'm weird, but within reason, religion has no bearing on my voting habits.
As a man from Massachusetts, y'know, the state where was governor.

FUCK. NO.

The guy wasn't even present in the STATE for his last year in office. He left. Just upped and left, and shirked his responsibility in order to run for President. He's a shit-eating, smarmy ladder climber, and nothing more. No. Nonononononononono. I would quite literally vote for ANYONE over that man. Even... uggggggggh... P-Palin.

As for the OT; I don't bother voting most of the time. The competent, charismatic leader is dead, and bipartisanship killed him. Now every campaign seeks to make their candidate as homogeneous enough for everyone to vote for, instead of selecting candidates with any revolutionary or effective ideas. Religious zealotry is a turnoff when it comes to a political candidate, but any person running for Presidency who declares himself an atheist is committing political suicide. Atheists don't get elected, because a good chunk of the country is still scared of them.
And he ruined Guitar Center!

Sorry, I'm verbose today.

Aug 1, 2010
Yes.

So many of the Republican platforms that I disagree with stem from religion.

HOWEVER, America is not smart enough at this time to elect an Atheist, so he would be crushed.

Tsaba

reconnoiter
Oct 6, 2009
Gaiseric said:
subtlefuge said:
I still think Mitt Romney was the best presidential candidate in 2008, period, and he was Mormon.

Maybe I'm weird, but within reason, religion has no bearing on my voting habits.
Nope not weird I'm the same, or at least your not weird alone. Romney was my second choice right after Huckabee.
Did not like Huckabee, something was just fake about him and I didn't like it, but, I really like Mitt Romney as a candidate, if he runs in 2012 he's got my vote.

EDIT:
MrDeckard said:
Yes.

So many of the Republican platforms that I disagree with stem from religion.

HOWEVER, America is not smart enough at this time to elect an Atheist, so he would be crushed.
Just like America is too "racist" to vote a black man in as president?

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
funguy2121 said:
SaneAmongInsane said:
That was an atheist? He shares the same views as most of the Republican party except for the ones backed by theology. Not necessarily pro-gay marriage, more apathetic to it then anything else.

And for the sake of keeping the argument legitimate, this candidate is crazy rich so he can afford to run with out the help of lobbyists funding. Also he publicly states that while he lacks a "christian" moral compass he lives by a code of What Would Superman Do? ("You believe in your fictional character, I'll believe in mine" he defends)

The person running against him on the democratic ticket is Obama.

This is probably a poor discussion topic, I was just thinking to myself that though I agree with the republican party on some very major fundamental things (Small government) their extreme non-secular opinions on things like Gay marriage is something I can't compromise on (as well as certain social changes I agree with)
I thought I smelled an Objectivist, then you mentioned Superman.

I'm registered Independent but I can't see voting Republican without a major housecleaning regarding their leadership. Can't say I'm terribly pleased with Obama overall right now but I will vote for him in the next election nevertheless.

I'm more optimistic than most but I'm still skeptical about a viable Atheist candidate running for President in our collective lifetime. I just don't think someone can win without courting the Christians. It shouldn't matter, but it does.
Yeah, I thought I'd give him some sort of representational moral compass to give him a little logical compassion. That and Batman seemed like a poor choice.

I think such a candidate could be viable, but it would require a lot of money and charisma.

Gaiseric

Sep 21, 2008
Tsaba said:
Gaiseric said:
subtlefuge said:

Nope not weird I'm the same, or at least your not weird alone. Romney was my second choice right after Huckabee.
Did not like Huckabee, something was just fake about him and I didn't like it, but, I really like Mitt Romney as a candidate, if he runs in 2012 he's got my vote.
I can see that.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
I vote for zombie FDR. Because frankly, FDR coming back as a zombie, running for office, convincing people he isn't a zombie so he can win, (He convinced America he wasn't crippled so he could win, he can convince America he isn't living impaired) and working his mojo is the only way out of the situation at this point.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
Religious values aren't at the top of my list in things I look for when deciding what candidate to vote for. Though I am a religious person, I also understand the importance of separation of church and state, so I tend to think about which candidate is best for the nation or community AS A WHOLE, not just the religious parts. So I voted "other" in the poll.

TheSapphireKnight

I hate Dire Wolves...
Dec 4, 2008
At this point in time it isn't the theology it is fiscal beliefs. We do not need the Republication idea of being fiscally conservative. We don't need to cut funding for social programs like heating for the poor, we need reform as well as cuts.

Instead of going after the teeny, tiny social programs, we need reform to the biggest single money gobblers: Defense, Social Security, Medicare/Medicaide or we will never get anywhere. We will also never get anywhere if we don't fix all the ridiculous tax law loopholes that allow companies like GE to pay no federal taxes whatsoever.

I really would prefer someone far more outright progressive than the very center leaning Obama. We need someone who would take things like the ridiculous Defense budget and put it towards fixing our infrastructure. Which is something that actually does create jobs unlike tax cuts to the rich.

We need someone who will actually raise taxes to get things done and actually invest in America instead of munitions. Unfortunate there is no one like that who could actually run for office. Instead we get the Far right Republicans/Tea Party and the dead center Democrats who never get anything useful done.