Poll: Yo grammer nazis, help you're boy out.

JemJar

Feb 17, 2009
Alarir said:
I love that this was your first ever post on the Escapist. Welcome.

OT : I voted 2, as it's the one I'd use. The Beeb did a grammar quiz today in which a reference to this sort of issue comes up on question 5 - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22512744

Dimitriov

The end is nigh.
May 24, 2010
The fact that option one is leading in the poll would make any true grammar nazi want to vomit; I know I do.

RaNDM G

Apr 28, 2009
Let's tear down number three since that one is closest to grammatically correct.

Pimppeter2 said:
One of the oldest philosophical debates known to man is the question of which has greater influence upon an individuals, nature or nurture.
1. Too bloated. It's fine if you want to write something wordy, but phrases such as "known to man" and "the question" are redundant.

2. When making a simple statement, I prefer being as straight-forward as possible. I would rather the statement be one part rather than split into two.

3. Since this is a blanket statement, it covers all individuals, not just one. While using an individual is not wrong, using the plural form is more effective.

"One of the oldest philosophical debates is whether nature or nurture have a greater influence on individuals."

That's how I'd word it. Still feels a bit clumsy, but it sure as heck beats anything else on that poll.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Sample 2 is the better, and technically correct, form.

thewaever said:
It's most definitely NOT number 1.

Semicolons do not start lists.

Semicolons have 2 uses:
1. To separate items in a list, or
2. To join two sentences together.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semicolon
http://theoatmeal.com/comics/semicolon

Number 2 is the correctly punctuated sentence.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colon_%28punctuation%29
You know...it's funny.

Even though sample 2 is the proper choice, a vast majority of the "grammar Nazis" posting in here (often with the more condescending comments) are saying that option 2 is the most "incorrect" choice.

The irony is almost palpable.

GodzillaGuy92

Jul 10, 2012
It's the second sentence. The first one uses a semicolon, which is used when placing together two thoughts that could form their own complete sentences if you separated them with a period. The latter thought, "nature or nurture," is not a complete sentence.

Ghonesis

Feb 15, 2011
; -> Semi-colon is used to replace the word 'and'. (He got better; he's home now.)
: -> Are used for lists. (Things like: doing stuff, doing nothing, grammar nazi-ing)

Now here's the problem!
Is 'nature or nurture' a list? I honestly have no idea. >_>

, -> Personally I'd go for this one.. I would consider rephrasing that sentence though, if it gives you that much trouble. :p

Ghonesis

Feb 15, 2011
Vigormortis said:
Sample 2 is the better, and technically correct, form.

thewaever said:
It's most definitely NOT number 1.

Semicolons do not start lists.

Semicolons have 2 uses:
1. To separate items in a list, or
2. To join two sentences together.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semicolon
http://theoatmeal.com/comics/semicolon

Number 2 is the correctly punctuated sentence.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colon_%28punctuation%29
You know...it's funny.

Even though sample 2 is the proper choice, a vast majority of the "grammar Nazis" posting in here (often with the more condescending comments) are saying that option 2 is the most "incorrect" choice.

The irony is almost palpable.
Indeed, it's not number 1.
But are you sure it's number 2? I know colons start lists, but is 'nature or nurture' a list? :/
I doubt it, but I could be wrong. :p

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
Make an intentionally incorrect title, get an intentionally incorrect vote. I voted number one because a contraction of "you are" (which, pronounced correctly, does not sound like your or yore) used as a possessive makes me want to hurt people... even if used incorrectly on purpose. Also, it's not a matter of grammar, it's a matter of basic (around 5th grade level, and that's being generous) language comprehension.

Incidentally, the sentence you're asking for help on is a mess, from a grammatical standpoint. It's perfectly fine for colloquial speech, but should probably be separated into two sentences with better structure for a formal write-up.

Evil Top Hat

May 21, 2011
Lionsfan said:
You would need a semi colon, not a colon in your phrase.
Er... no?
Semi colon's indicate a connected idea, such that it is separated in a fashion similar to that of a comma. The idea I expressed were directly connected, and involved no, even minor, separation. Secondly, a colon was necessary as an introduction. For example:
"I need to go to the shop to buy a few things: oranges, apples, milk, and whatever the cashier's willing to give up when I get the gun out".

In this instance, the colon was used to introduce a list, or could likewise be used to introduce an idea, as I did. I wanted to imply a direct connection, whereas the semi colon would be used to imply two individual ideas that are vaguely linked.

(If any of what I'm saying is wrong I'm going to back and give my English teachers detentions)

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
Semicolons are used to separate two distinct thoughts without the use of a comma and conjunction, and "nature and nurture" are not a complete thought. It can also be used to separate items in a list when commas are used to set off appositives within the list itself, which helps avoid confusion. This also is not a case being used.

A comma would indicate that "nature and nurture" is an appositive to "individual", which it clearly isn't.

The colon actually indicates that "nature and nurture" are the summation of the main thought and what it was leading up to. Given the way the sentence is structured, it is the best approach.

If you are unsatisfied and want to make sure you haven't made a mistake, make "nature and nurture" the subjects of the sentence and restructure it accordingly.

Laser Priest

A Magpie Among Crows
Mar 24, 2011
SecondPrize said:
Pimppeter2 said:
I'm writing an essay, strugglebussing a bit, and figured I could use some help. What better place to get grammar advice than from those who badly want to commit genocide against all sentence fragments, run ons, and incorrect punctuations?

So, tell a brother. Which form of this sentence is correctly punctuated. (And why would help, if possible)

1) One of the oldest philosophical debates known to man is the question of which has greater influence upon an individual; nature or nurture.

2)One of the oldest philosophical debates known to man is the question of which has greater influence upon an individual: nature or nurture.

3)One of the oldest philosophical debates known to man is the question of which has greater influence upon an individual, nature or nurture.

Or is it none of them and I need a question mark at the end of one of them? If so which one?

First person to help me out can have the soul of my second born child. I'd give you the first one, but I have to repay my student loans somehow.

Also, I'll make your E-penis bigger by being your best friend for the day. What more could you ask for?

And yeah, the title errors were intended.
I'd help, but after reading your title I'd rather you fail the project.
You are a masterful specimen, sir. Might I also suggest actually reading the entirety of the OP before quoting it?

Anyway, I think if you must use one of those, the second one seems the best. However, I'm not a grammar expert. If anything, I would say restructuring the sentence and avoiding the comma-colon-or-semicolon thing altogether would be for the best.

Kurai Angelo

Oct 12, 2009
Alarir said:
All three lines are grammatically correct. This is because the end of the sentence can be cut off with the punctuation of lines one and three and still be correct. To clarify, "One of the oldest philosophical debates known to man is the question of which has greater influence upon an individual," is a sentence in its own right; and thus the last part is merely extra baggage.
Sadly, that's incorrect. You're half right in that the first part of the sentence would still make perfect sense without the following words; however, for the use of the semi-colon or comma to be justified both halves of the sentence must be complete sentences in their own right. For instance:'One of the oldest philosophical debates known to man is the question of which has greater influence upon an individual' is a complete sentence, albeit a clumsy one; the object that it is referencing is absent, but linguistically it still makes sense. 'Nature or nurture' is not a complete sentence, it is a list of two; therefore, to separate it with a semi-colon would be incorrect.

On topic: out of the three available, I would say that Number 2 is the best option in terms of grammar; however, the whole thing feels like a poorly executed sentence with the grammar thrust upon it to justify its meaning.

I would agree with other's suggestions that 'One of the oldest philosophical debates known to man is whether nature or nurture has a greater influence upon an individual.'

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
[HEADING=1]NUMBER 1 IS WRONG.[/HEADING]

A semicolon can ONLY be used when both sides are complete sentences.

Number 2 is correct. A colon followed by a list (of two).

Number 3 is wrong, but in a socially acceptable way. Unless you live in England, in which case number 3 is very wrong.

Trust me. I teach grammar for a living at a University.

Kurai Angelo

Oct 12, 2009
Evil Top Hat said:
Lionsfan said:
Er... no?
Semi colon's indicate a connected idea, such that it is separated in a fashion similar to that of a comma. The idea I expressed were directly connected, and involved no, even minor, separation. Secondly, a colon was necessary as an introduction. For example:
"I need to go to the shop to buy a few things: oranges, apples, milk, and whatever the cashier's willing to give up when I get the gun out".

In this instance, the colon was used to introduce a list, or could likewise be used to introduce an idea, as I did. I wanted to imply a direct connection, whereas the semi colon would be used to imply two individual ideas that are vaguely linked.

(If any of what I'm saying is wrong I'm going to back and give my English teachers detentions)
From my cursory glance over this thread, you seem to have demonstrated the best explanation as to the difference between the use of a colon and semi-colon.

A colon is used to denote an explanation or conclusion of the preceding sentence. It can be a single word, or a complete sentence. As it happens, a list falls into this category, so it is appropriate to also use a colon to introduce a list.

A semi-colon is most commonly used to join two complete sentences (they MUST be complete) that are closely related. This includes all sentences that begin with a conjunctive adverb as a connector. Examples of conjunctive adverbs include however, therefore, otherwise, moreover etc. (Note how I did not use a colon to begin this list; a colon can only be used if what precedes it is a complete sentence. 'Examples of conjunctive adverbs include' is not a complete sentence). It is commonly viewed as bad practice to use one of these connectors if it is not following a semi-colon.

For those saying that a semi-colon is used to separate items in a list, this is not always the case. This is only in the event that items in the list contain commas themselves. For example: March 14th, 2012; April 2nd, 2012; June 30th, 2012 (I wouldn't normally write the date like that, but I couldn't think of another example). Items in a list should be separated by commas.

Coppernerves

Oct 17, 2011
Pimppeter2 said:
I'm writing an essay, strugglebussing a bit, and figured I could use some help. What better place to get grammar advice than from those who badly want to commit genocide against all sentence fragments, run ons, and incorrect punctuations?

So, tell a brother. Which form of this sentence is correctly punctuated. (And why would help, if possible)

1) One of the oldest philosophical debates known to man is the question of which has greater influence upon an individual; nature or nurture.

2)One of the oldest philosophical debates known to man is the question of which has greater influence upon an individual: nature or nurture.

3)One of the oldest philosophical debates known to man is the question of which has greater influence upon an individual, nature or nurture.

Or is it none of them and I need a question mark at the end of one of them? If so which one?

First person to help me out can have the soul of my second born child. I'd give you the first one, but I have to repay my student loans somehow.

Also, I'll make your E-penis bigger by being your best friend for the day. What more could you ask for?

And yeah, the title errors were intended.
I prefer the term: grammurai, because I advocate restoring grammar honour with both an edit, and listening to "Pink Fluffy Unicorns Dancing On Rainbows" [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky3Ordfqn88] for at least 10 minutes.

The latter action is "gra ma ha ra ki ri"

As for the options, they're all quite understandable, (the whole point of grammar, imo), but I'd go for the colon, as it indicates that you're about to reveal something.

Lionsfan

I miss my old avatar
Jan 29, 2010
Evil Top Hat said:
Lionsfan said:
Er... no?

But would "which has the greater influence upon us, nature or nurture?" necessarily be a list?

I mean your example in this post is obvious, but I just didn't know about the original one

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
Longstreet said:
YOUR not you're. (in the title)
Intentional.

As for the question I've no idea. I'm going for 2, semicolons aren't the most appropriate things for this sentence. But don't take my word for it.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
"One of the oldest philosophical debates known to man is the question of whether it is nature or nurture that has the greater influence upon an individual."

When all else fails, restructure the sentence into something more eloquent and flowing.

Mycroft Holmes

Sep 26, 2011
Having a poll is silly. Everyone will vote and the popular answer is not necessarily the right one.

A semicolon has to divide a part that can essentially stand on its own as a sentence but is being tacked on because it continues an idea that is closely tied with the first part(and yes "its" without the apostrophe is correct in this usage despite being the possessive form; English is just too cool for sensible rules.) So, the evidently popular, option number "1" is not correct. One could make an argument that "2" is correct although it's not a particularly effective usage of a colon.(See that's how we use "it's" properly. Grammar is fun!) Colons are used to separate, to some degree, a sentence from a list of things. You technically listed 2 items so it isn't incorrect in the strictest manner, but it's one hell of a short list to bother breaking out a colon.

"3" is the most correct form.

If you want to use a semicolon you could always expand the sentence. Eg. "One of the oldest philosophical debates known to man is the question of which has greater influence upon an individual; is it the nurturing from our parents or is it our nature upon birth that determines who we are?"