Poll: You and cooking

LiberalSquirrel

Social Justice Squire
Jan 3, 2010
Da Orky Man said:
Any chance we could get some backstory on this ramen incident? It sounds worthy of remembrance.
Heh. I can do that, yeah.

I started off well enough. Measure two cups of water, put it in a pot, set it on the stove to boil. That's when things went downhill.

First of all, I lost track of the water. So it was half-boiled-away before I remembered I was boiling water. Then I decided, "well, I'll just have less of the broth, that's okay I guess, I just want to eat ASAP" so I toss the noodle block in there. Then, not too long after, I smell something burning. My water was gone, and the noodle block was scorching.

...And then I ordered pizza. Happy ending!

ike42

Feb 25, 2009
sky14kemea said:
I'm pretty good, I guess?

I'm better at baking than cooking. But I do both from time to time.

I can make a Quiche from scratch. I've also once cooked a whole Christmas roast dinner, though I did have help with that one. =P

Though for some reason I can never flip an omlette... so I always get slightly overdone scrambled eggs instead. (Tastes goooood, though).
It took me forever to learn how to flip an omelette before I just went to Betty Crocker for advice. The key is to float the eggs on a ton of butter and to make sure to keep the pan moving over the heat, especially while pouring them into the pan. this helps ensure more even heating which will allow your omelette to come right off the pan. After I learned to do this I must have eaten omelettes every day for like a week.

Da Orky Man

Yeah, that's me
Apr 24, 2011
LiberalSquirrel said:
Da Orky Man said:
Any chance we could get some backstory on this ramen incident? It sounds worthy of remembrance.
Heh. I can do that, yeah.

I started off well enough. Measure two cups of water, put it in a pot, set it on the stove to boil. That's when things went downhill.

First of all, I lost track of the water. So it was half-boiled-away before I remembered I was boiling water. Then I decided, "well, I'll just have less of the broth, that's okay I guess, I just want to eat ASAP" so I toss the noodle block in there. Then, not too long after, I smell something burning. My water was gone, and the noodle block was scorching.

...And then I ordered pizza. Happy ending!
Being able to burn ramen while attempting to boil it is the hallmark of one dedicated to their craft:

solemnwar

Sep 19, 2010
Sassafrass said:
TopazFusion said:
I can't cook. At all.
It's a disgrace, I know.

The microwave gets a lot of use in my house.

Oh, and the toaster too.
High five for being a part of the Microwave Master race.
Give me a ready meal and I can become a fucking GOD in the kitchen. XD
Can I join this master race?
Although it's only because I'm cripplingly lazy and not because of a lack of ability to cook.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Best thing I ever made was a hamburger consisting of 3 1/2lb beef patties with garlic between them. That was better than I imagine sex to be. My motto in the kitchen is simple but tasty, I never do crazy complex things because to me the effort just isn't worth it. It's spending more energy than it needed so it's horribly inefficient. As a result everything I make is easy, big, and delicious.

SirDeadly

Feb 22, 2009
I can cook a BBQ but what man can't? Beyond that the extent of my cooking abilities are abysmal!

Shock and Awe

Winter is Coming
Sep 6, 2008
I'm fairly decent. I can make basic dishes well and haven't had any real culinary disasters to speak of.

TallanKhan

Aug 13, 2009
My culinary abilities are fair, maybe a little better than fair. My real problem is motivation, I find cooking for one a chore so whenever I'm single the takeaway menus recieve alot of attention.

Sep 14, 2009
i would say reasonably good, i have about 25 meals i can do off the top of my head VERY well, and 5 of those i can fuckin make better than the pictures are at restaurants (practice and all that, there were entire summers where my parents just loaded the pantry and i was required to fend for myself with those ingredients.)

a bunch of them aren't complicated at all, but i do them perfectly like all da time.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
I make some kick-ass nachos and burritos if I do say so myself.I'm okay at cooking, enough so that I get thumbs up from those who eat what I make.

TallanKhan said:
My culinary abilities are fair, maybe a little better than fair. My real problem is motivation, I find cooking for one a chore so whenever I'm single the takeaway menus recieve alot of attention.
I agree, the time and effort to make a meal for oneself can be frustrating. But my flatmates and I have an arrangement, they buy the food I tell them to buy, and I cook it. Works for us, I end up putting a lot in named containers because we all work different times, except Thursday, we always all have that day off. It's a system that has worked for a few years now.

deserteagleeye

Sep 8, 2010
The only thing I can make on a stove is Jimmy Dean's sausage patties. I've never tried anything else and I don't plan on straying from it.

joshthor

Aug 18, 2009
im learning how to cook (making fresh bread tonight!) but cooking seems to be basically just following instructions and im quite good at that.

Brotha Desmond

Jan 3, 2011
I like to think of myself as fairly good, I'm just too lazy recently to do much. I used to barbecue lamb and potatoes, or cook rice with salmon. Now I'm usually just throwing some pasta and sardines together.

littlewisp

Mar 25, 2010
Reasonable. :) When I choose to go by the book I make lots of yummy things! (more recently there's been a lot of experimenting with baking, as the dude is gluten intolerant which lead to a lot of almost crying with frustration over gluten-free pie crusts. I don't pre buy the mixes, and getting proportions right and learning to handle it so it doesn't break apart is a pita) There's this thing I do, which my oh-so-loving fiance calls Kat-food (the comparison to cat food being quite deliberate) which is basically me throwing a bunch of leftovers or what-we-have-on-hand together (things you probably wouldn't want to throw together, normally) with some seasonings because I'm feeling horribly lazy and don't want to cook.

Sometimes it's yummy.

Sometimes it probably comes closer to cat food than I would reasonably want to admit.

BUT I EAT IT ALL. Because wasting food is bad.

But I make a mean carote in scapece (among other things)! :D

SuperSuperSuperGuy

Jun 19, 2010
I don't have much practise, but I'm not bad. This one time, I made the most perfect-looking (and good-tasting) omelette. I was so very proud of myself... It's a shame I've never been able to replicate it.

I like to cook, though; I find it calming, and it lets me experiment and explore a bit.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
I can cook alright, but I tend to be much too lazy to do it unless I'm actually cooking for someone. If I'm just cooking for myself I'd rather just make a sandwich or toss something in a microwave than actually take the time to cook something decent.

Oct 2, 2012
I'm reasonable. I make some amazing curries and the secret ingredients in my rice have people smacking each other for more.
I'm pretty okay at cooking Thai foods and pastas (including sauces) but anything too simple like say scrambling an egg causes me to want to cry :p

I make a bitchin lasagna.

Although my food tends on being very spicy and very flavorful so some people don't like that.
"Too hot" they say sometimes. "Too many different flavors" other times.
I never agree with the former (I actually tone down the heat a lot when I cook for others) and the latter I agree with sometimes. If I don't mix the spices right sometimes then they don't blend well and you can taste way too many things.
Or I add too much of a spice and too little of another and it stands out a lot.

I also burned water once.
Or twice
[sub][sub]Or a half dozen times.[/sub][/sub]

Gardenia

Oct 30, 2008
I can cook a decent meal, and I can bake a decent bread. Therefore, I put myself up as "reasonable"

Little Woodsman

Nov 11, 2012
I cooked professionally in a small Italian restaurant for two years, got pretty durned good.
At pot-luck type gatherings my friends have started to request that I bring my meatballs.
I don't cook at home as much as I should because I'm usually too tired/busy after work.