Poll: You are an evil overlord! Which army of mooks do you employ?

Dedtoo

Aug 28, 2009
Norway
On that list, I'll have to go with the Orcs, if only for their never ending numbers.

What I'd really like though, would be skeletons. No need for food, the armies get larger with each kill, often comes fully equipped, and guns have a hard time harming them, as the bullets will just pass between the bones!

The Ubermensch

Mar 6, 2012
I see no Chaos Space mirens there
Come on, Chaos Space Mariens

Fine, Orcs it is, but I'd prefer warhammer Orcs.

PAINT EVERYTHING RED. I wonder if dried blood counts? like each roadkill pedestrian would be like those mushrooms in Mario Kart.

The Ubermensch

Mar 6, 2012
The Event said:
Imperial Stormtroopers.

Because everyone would underestimate them and incorrectly think them to be incompetent fools who can't shoot straight.

The Tantive IV - taken with only 3 casualties.
The escape from the Death Star - Vader & Tarkin wanted them to escape
They destroyed all but 3 of the rebel fighters that attacked the Death Star
Echo Base - taken with the loss of only 2 ATATs
And they were doing pretty well on Endor until Chewbacca turned their own tech against them.

The only people that the Galactic Empire can't defeat are the ones protected by hero armour.
The issue was the degradation of the gene pool; after the Kiminoians rebelled they stopped using the superior Fett strain and switched to inferior genetic strains and conscripts. Most of the battles you're talking about are canonised as being fought by the 501st, Vaders Fist, the last pure regiment in the imperial army.

So, stormtroopers, no, 501st, yes.

However, if you do that you have to acknowledge the existence of the prequals so... ~

Still... the concept artest knew what they were doing at least.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I'd go with an army of Daleks. They're cold, ruthless, and have a funny catchphrase.

EDIT: Also their only weakness is a guy in a time travelling blue box. So as long as no time travelling blue boxes show up, I can't lose.

Loalrikowki

Jul 6, 2012
Of those available, I'm going with orcs, but I'd like to submit that Cylons are superior to pretty much all of these if you can protect the Resurrection Ship adequately.

Able Seaman Staines

Jun 14, 2013
For me it is between Skynet and the Romans.

On balance, strangely enough I think I will go for the Romans. I would sell off their archaic gear through museums and auction houses to help equip them with modern munitions and training. The Romans had an amazing capacity for coping with hardship, and an appetite for atrocity second to none, and as an Evil Overlord I am all about the atrocities. The Romans would remain cohesive and controllable due to their lack of contemporary language keeping them isolated from the public at large.

Skynet by comparison can be hacked as T2 demonstrated. Stormtroopers always seem a little bit wimpy even with their blasters, give Romans those blasters and watch what happens to the Cosmos. In fact lets face facts, all the other forces were great at losing, the only force on the list that had a history of winning was the Romans, up until the 3rd Century.
Call me weird, but if I am an Evil Overlord I intend on also being victorious, so none dare call me evil even as I have my trained crocodile rape their granny.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
thaluikhain said:
Cybermen. Not the rubbish Nuwho ones that are half-arsed Borg rip offs, the old ones the Borg were half arsed rip off of.
Just for that, you will be assimilated upgraded!

Stormtroopers for me. Despite the tropes, they can be quite badass.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
canadamus_prime said:
I'd go with an army of Daleks. They're cold, ruthless, and have a funny catchphrase.

EDIT: Also their only weakness is a guy in a time travelling blue box. So as long as no time travelling blue boxes show up, I can't lose.
Yeah, but he seems to show up every time. You're going to spend all your time saying "And I would have gotten away with it, too, if it weren't for you meddling kids Time Lords!

Also, it means your army is extremely vulnerable to both Mary Sues and deus ex machina.

PFCboom

Sep 20, 2012
Roman Army. I'm a soldier, myself, so I'm probably biased. See, all I would have to do is give a handful of generals a crash course on small-arms and artillery, their gear, and conventional warfare, and the rest of my military will know exactly what I know in short order.
They're smart. They'll figure out the rest. I hope.

Either Romans, or orcs. I really, really like the idea of having nigh-infinite personnel. Directing them will suck, I guess, but I think I'll be able to make it work.

Chaos Isaac

Jun 27, 2013
Zombies. And of course by zombies, I mean undead.

Going to go ahead and say using zombies. (Undead.) From Dark Souls. There isn't a thing you can do to stop them. Because they never die, they always come back, and they can ruin your life in ways you can't really react to unless you're from Lordran.

Imagine some Dickwraiths invading Lotr or Terminator universes, and just messing up whatever's going down. And since time is distorted in Lordran, hey, they might show up early and get some good damage in. Like taking out Skynet before it's conceived.

The best part is? They earn their own pay. They eat the souls of those they kill, so, as long as they have victims, they shouldn't be too much of a fuss to manage.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
While I would of said Roman but since I get annoying trying to educate my parent on using the pc, I doubt I can handle well educating an entire army on the modern world. I would be more like a teacher!
Anyway I go with the Orcs, they seen to get the job done most of the time that is as long there is no reinforement or undead ghost from the other opposing side.

Redingold

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Mar 28, 2009
If I'm an Overlord, surely I would have an army of zerg?

None can withstand the might of the swarm.

Gearran

Oct 19, 2007
While I'll happily choose orcs, do they -have- to be the LotR version? I mean, yes, JRR Tolkien did invent the bastards, but when has v1.0 of anything been the ideal choice? At least give me Warhammer orcs (or 40K orks) or something. Better yet, give me the Fighting Agaku! (it's a book reference, for those curious; look it up!)

Kvetching aside, I'm sticking by my choice. Numerous, reasonably loyal, too stupid to rebel, significantly more durable and physically stronger than any human, and in order to equip 'em you just sling them at a scrap heap and watch what they cobble up. While they're certainly not refined, they're a lot more clever than most give them credit for. And if they're kind of sloppy, just means they're also THOROUGH (kind of hard to be defeated when the heroes are a fine red paste, eh?).

thedrunkenmonkey

Jun 27, 2013
Stormtroopers: Unflinchingly loyal and bring a wide variety of skills, including knowledge of logistics and advanced tech. Cons are that they can't hit shit. EDIT: Bear in mind, this is the supposedly feared fighting force that got curb-stomped by Ewoks.
- correction: they got curb-stomped because Vader was willing to let a bunch of clones get their butts handed to them by teddy bears while he and the Emperor played "We be Baaaaad Gloaty Jedi" with his son on a half-built space station. Blame the commanders. Not the troops. Yeah, they can't shoot for crap, but let's pay for some eyesight upgrades and more carrots in the canteen. Care and feeding? Easy. Communication? Built-in. They may suck as marksmen, but...well, more dakka. (This got my vote)

The Koopa Troop: Well, they're probably pretty chill guys... Just don't expect any actual conquest.
And they breathe fire. And they get routinely stomped because they can't figure out how to go in reverse. Denied.

Orcs: They get the job done, albeit sloppily. Having nigh-infinite hordes of them always helps, though they are prone to fighting among themselves when they don't have a common enemy. They are also very hard workers.
They also tend to want to eat captives, each other, bark off trees, and anything that looks like it wouldn't actually kill them outright. Pass.

Zombies: Why conquer the world when you can just slaughter the inhabitants? Having a blank slate to build your evil empire from is a lot easier than trying to subjugate the entire planet!
Except they have one thing they can do: eat. That's it. One trick. Eat. I could go be OverLord of Planet Nothing's The Hell HERE, is that what you're telling me? Oh, except zombies. Gee, let me think. PASS.

Cybermen: Resistant to conventional weapons, ruthlessly efficient, and deadly in combat, Cybermen are a force to be reckoned with. Their conversion tech can allow you to squelch rebellion after you've taken over. The only problem is that they don't take kindly to human authority figures.
Do I even need to say it?

The Roman Army: Loyal, efficient, and legendary, the Romans are an unstoppable force. At least, they were thousands of years ago. Now their archaic training means that they will take a while to adjust to modern combat, assuming they survive that long.
I'm sure they'd be fine with modern training and weapons. It's the whole "get ahead by screwing pretty much anyone you can in the back with a long sharp knife and getting your entertainment by throwing people into a pit and watching them hack or screw each other to death" that I have an issue with. I'm an overlord. OVERLORD. No usurpers. No quote of "Et Tu, Brute?" Shall. Pass.

Skynet: Arguably the most powerful force on this list, Skynet gives your army access to Terminators and time travel. The only problem is that you are more or less assured to be usurped and killed at some point.
Zombies, Cybermen, The Roman Army, and now a bunch of machines intent on destroying all mankind? This is less like a poll and more like a Stormtrooper love fest up in here.

The Martians: Death rays and aliens, what could possibly go wrong? Aside from the common cold?
For one, this cold I've been having a hell of a time shaking. *achoo* NPasth.

The truth, though, is that I'd simply prefer an army of Jem'Hadar. Assuming I'm a shifter, or at the very least considered one. That said, Stormtroopers are much closer.

crimson sickle2

Sep 30, 2009
scorptatious said:
I find the lack of Prinnies disturbing.

They're numerous, they're loyal (so long as they get paid),they explode when thrown, and they're so gosh darn cute. What's not to love?

Choosing from the list, I guess I would pick Zombies. Whoever they kill gets to join my ranks.
This person was the first post and they immediately chose the best non-provided option. What's the point in a grand conquest if you don't have a few laughs along the way? Personally, I can't think of better candidates than homicidal, exploding penguins to fulfill these jobs.

From the list, I'd go with stormtroopers because I can actually communicate with them without being called a meatbag. Besides, as long as I prepare my plans so they don't have to fire a gun, then I possess a legion to push my scheme forward and pick up the groceries.

Angie7F

WiseGurl
Nov 11, 2011
I chose roman army just because I prefer to look at buff halk naked men (movie 300 in mind as i type)