Poll: You can make a type of technology from sci-fi real. Which do you choose?

Odbarc

Elite Member
Jun 30, 2010
nikki191 said:
Odbarc said:
Star Trek's Holodecks ALL the way!
its also the last thing humanity would ever invent too apart from better automated power systems
People would go ape-shit over illegalizing certain programs. People would absolutely be abusing that thing for sex.
And you could absolutely murder-simulator on that thing! And it would be SOOOOOO much fun. Imagine some 1000 vs 1000 Paintball game or something?

Edit:
Urgh, and there would be massive product placement too, wouldn't there?

Psychoninja7

Nov 11, 2010
I couldn't choose between FTL and Biological Enhancements. Went for the latter. Because it'd be pretty cool.

But FTL is probably the better choice. The others can come later. Can I have both? No? Okay...

keiji_Maeda

May 9, 2012
Odbarc said:
nikki191 said:
Odbarc said:
its also the last thing humanity would ever invent too apart from better automated power systems
People would go ape-shit over illegalizing certain programs. People would absolutely be abusing that thing for sex.
And you could absolutely murder-simulator on that thing! And it would be SOOOOOO much fun. Imagine some 1000 vs 1000 Paintball game or something?

Edit:
I imagine my great-great-grandchildren filing a future claim for pre-emptive suing the future equivalent of EA about spoiling the end of Mass effect 6 (the reapening yet again on the holodeck.

But seriously, i haven't watched star trek for a while. Can someone give me a motivation for why holodeck? I mean, beyond the entertainment valuie. i guess the possibility of running fully realistic research projects without ANY risk of contamination/explosive reactions taking place could be pretty usefull.

keiji_Maeda

May 9, 2012
Also. i'm throwing Spice into the mix.

Yes, it is an addictive drug, YES it requires giant sandworm like creatures to be incorporated into a planets ecosystem. But it makes FTL travel possible (yes yes yes yes it creates unholy abominations addicted to it, but still) and gives you super powers.

Shadowhawk77

Jul 30, 2011
You forgot about the Enders Game series-ftl time delay also happened there and allowed the main character to live probably a hundred years past his brother...(until he settled down of course)
However I believe you are all doubting the awesomeness of a portal gun...especially if it had more then 2 destinations(i.e. each color in the color wheel connects to the color oposite of it=3 sets minimum would be wicked...or all of them leading to 1 spot and deciding which one to take from that one)Teleportation would be great for some things but if it requires a droppad then it could be stolen....or required to be placed in certain areas/by certain people and people would just profiteer on them-however your job would love it if you put a portal at work because that would allow you to get up in time and get to work easily and commute free(this includes going home school girlfriends or parents)

drthmik

Jul 29, 2011
honestly?
none of them are all that impressive
and I've never seen any Scifi with what I'd really want

fully climate controlled clothing that looks like normal clothing.

100 deg. outside?
so what, my shirt and pants will keep me cool

-15?
again comfort is still mine in my clothes

hurricane?
my clothes keep me safe and dry

all WITHOUT looking like some fashion reject space suit

as to the poll suggestions...

1: Terraforming planets. useless without FTL

2: Teleportation Technology nothing we can't do now it's just faster

3: Androids/Cyborgs lame

4: Biological Enhancements double lame

5: Flying Cars/Jetpacks why bother? it's the same as teleportation but slower

6: The Futuristic Fuel Source ever read 3001 a space odyssey? this wouldn't end as great as you think

7: Faster-Than-Light Travel useless without a whole industrial base to build the ships and a way to get them into space (or get the materials into space) which we couldn't afford and powering it would be a whole nother thing! even if it appeared ready to go today, it wouldn't be cheep enough for ME to use it in my lifetime

Mike the Bard

Jan 25, 2010
Finite-Improbability generator. All Hitchhikers fans should turn in their towels now for not thinking of this before. With it, we could instantly create any other sci-fi tech or situation (Including the Infinite-Improbability drive for crazy space-time traveling shenanigans.)

On a side note, think of all the crazy awesome parties we could have with this amazing tea powered device!

Odbarc

Elite Member
Jun 30, 2010
keiji_Maeda said:
Odbarc said:
nikki191 said:
Odbarc said:

Edit:
I imagine my great-great-grandchildren filing a future claim for pre-emptive suing the future equivalent of EA about spoiling the end of Mass effect 6 (the reapening yet again on the holodeck.

But seriously, i haven't watched star trek for a while. Can someone give me a motivation for why holodeck? I mean, beyond the entertainment valuie. i guess the possibility of running fully realistic research projects without ANY risk of contamination/explosive reactions taking place could be pretty usefull.
You can create anywhere/anything. Maybe even alter physics. You can make personalized school room for tutoring for your children. An instant gym for working out with a spotter and motivation crowd to cheer you. A pool to swim and cool off. To hunt game without killing for the sport of it.
You can train for anything. Practice anything. Even a holographic doctor. Everything in the next room as you need and want.

It's the best thing you can ask from technology.
But you may need a lot of those other technologies to get it.

Jimmy T. Malice

Dec 28, 2010
I think FTL is the technology that has the most applications. It'll come in handy when we inevitably ruin the solar system and have to move to another inhabitable planet.

keiji_Maeda

May 9, 2012
Odbarc said:
keiji_Maeda said:
Odbarc said:
nikki191 said:
Odbarc said:

Edit:

You can create anywhere/anything. Maybe even alter physics. You can make personalized school room for tutoring for your children. An instant gym for working out with a spotter and motivation crowd to cheer you. A pool to swim and cool off. To hunt game without killing for the sport of it.
You can train for anything. Practice anything. Even a holographic doctor. Everything in the next room as you need and want.

As i said i haven't watched star trek TNG for a while, but isn't the holodeck a ships entire DECK. doesn't the sheer size make it slightly impratcial? I mean, suppozing that shrinking it inhibits it's abilities.

GeneralBigG

Environmentalist Clarksonian
Jun 26, 2012
Other: Simple way to get all of the above? Working cryogenics, with a way to wake up that isn't going to expand all the water in my cells and kill me.

This way, I get to sleep until all this stuff is developed in the future. Also, I'll be in the future.

I'll take my 1 internets in internets, thank you very much.

Jerkules

Jun 27, 2012
rhizhim said:
replicator from star trek. (which has the blueprints of the holodeck in its database.)

why? because you can transform energy into matter and can transform matter into energy.
we could recycle everything.
This. Not to mention that replicator technology would essentially eliminate scarcity.

sunder202

Jan 13, 2010
i vote- stasis pod. with that i can wait it out till we have all of the cool technologies.

Odbarc

Elite Member
Jun 30, 2010
keiji_Maeda said:
Odbarc said:
keiji_Maeda said:
Odbarc said:
nikki191 said:
Odbarc said:

Edit:

As i said i haven't watched star trek TNG for a while, but isn't the holodeck a ships entire DECK. doesn't the sheer size make it slightly impratcial? I mean, suppozing that shrinking it inhibits it's abilities.
There have been instances of such large-scale holdecks, but usually it's room-sized with the yellow-box grid. Likely intended for fewer people.