Poll: Your favorite open world/sandbox game of this gen ?

wintercoat

Nov 26, 2011
Since I've never played any of the choices, I voted for other. My pick is Xenoblade, one of the best RPGs I've ever played. Other choices I could have gone with would be FO:NV or Prototype 1+2. Matter of fact, since Xenoblade is a Wii exclusive, I'm gonna go ahead and pick a second game. I'm gonna go with Prototype 2, because it was pure mindless fun. Ass backwards story, but damned if the combat wasn't fun.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Either Skyrim or Minecraft.

Skyrim because the world is amazing and there are tons of things to do in it.

Minecraft because if you aren't satisfied with the world you can improve it.

Edit: My runners up would be Fallout 3 and Just Cause 2 in no particular order.

TheBestNameEver

Dec 11, 2012
Farcry 3 is by far my favorite sandbox game. Lighting a tiger on fire with a flare gun because it alerted a base filled with enemies to my whereabouts is great fun

Brandon237

Mar 10, 2010
Apart from JC2 and Saint's Row the OP seems to have a really badly designed poll. Fallout, Minecraft, Elder Scrolls do not get in... but Asylum and Assassin's creed do for truly open world games? Not to mention Far Cry 2 and 3 are also far more open than Batty's Asylum... The other option is sweeping the polls at 40%

I loved me Just Cause 2 for pure DESTRUCTION >:D
Do anything, most options, biggest overall open experience would be Skyrim.
Best overall would probably be Fallout New Vegas.
Minecraft inspires the most creativity and is endless to all practical extents of the word.

TheRussian

May 8, 2011
Grand Theft Auto 4 or Just Cause 2, DON'T MAKE ME CHOOSE! On reflection, although JC2 is extremely fun, the story is kinda shitty, and while GTA4 is not more fun that JC2, the story is really, really, really good. Not better than San Andreas (also known as the best game of all time.)

King of Asgaard

Vae Victis, Woe to the Conquered
Oct 31, 2011
Red Dead Redemption gets my vote, because it's rare to see an open world game with such a good story.
I loved it so much that it got on my list of favourite games.

Honourable mentions are Assassin's Creed 2, and Infamous 1 and 2, for the same reasons as above.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Brandon237 said:
Apart from JC2 and Saint's Row the OP seems to have a really badly designed poll. Fallout, Minecraft, Elder Scrolls do not get in... but Asylum and Assassin's creed do for truly open world games? Not to mention Far Cry 2 and 3 are also far more open than Batty's Asylum... The other option is sweeping the polls at 40%

Minecraft inspires the most creativity and is endless to all practical extents of the word.
While I agree that the poll is lacking what both of us consider to be very good sandbox games (and including some less than stellar ones), the OP is entitled to their opinion. There's just gonna be a whole lot of Other being picked.

Brandon237

Mar 10, 2010
RedDeadFred said:
Brandon237 said:

While I agree that the poll is lacking what both of us consider to be very good sandbox games (and including some less than stellar ones), the OP is entitled to their opinion. There's just gonna be a whole lot of Other being picked.
Yes, but the games the OP chose are
A: Not all very definitive sandbox games (Assassin's creed and AA are much more like "large linear" games than sandbox games)
B: Not all likely to get any love (sleeping dogs at 1.4%)

So the poll becomes useless, it does not demonstrate which are the most popular sandbox gamesp. OPs choice yes, but not a good one ;P

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Brandon237 said:
RedDeadFred said:
Brandon237 said:

Yes, but the games the OP chose are
A: Not all very definitive sandbox games (Assassin's creed and AA are much more like "large linear" games than sandbox games)
B: Not all likely to get any love (sleeping dogs at 1.4%)

So the poll becomes useless, it does not demonstrate which are the most popular sandbox gamesp. OPs choice yes, but not a good one ;P
See I was going to ding him on AC and AA as well but he says OPEN WORLD/sandbox. So the poll doesn't have to be exclusively sandbox.
Sleeping Dogs being there does perplex me though...

Note: I haven't played AA but I'm assuming it's open world. Correct me if I'm wrong.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Of the ones you listed, I got to say I love Just Cause 2 & Saints Row 2 but my favorite of this gen is Fallout 3.

The_Lost_King

Oct 7, 2011
Where the fuck are my Bethesda games!!!! Fallout New Vegas, Oblivion, and Skyrim are the best Sandbox games this gen.

a7xman

Oct 14, 2011
I'll go with Minecraft, if we're considering that sandbox, and I'm not sure why we wouldn't, but I do have to give a shoutout to the first Infamous game, which was fantastic in my opinion.

Cheesus Crust

Mar 8, 2012
Ass Creed, despite the latest sequel not living up to my expectations. Would've chosen Just Cause 2, but didn't simply because I hated the damn purchase system which annoyed me to no end.

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
Bad poll is bad.

Even with limited options The Elder Scrolls, Fallout and Minecraft should've been included, they're by far more popular than any of the existing options.

I'd have voted Skyrim in a good poll.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Out of the Open World games I've played, I think Saints Row 2 is my favorite. It's like GTA in toon town but it isn't overly stupid like Saint's Row 3. I didn't like New Vegas or Red Dead Redemption as much due to a mix of color scheme and, a lack of friendly settlements (although RDR wins out because I get to hogtie people). Fallout 3 wins out over the last 2 because I'm a Capital Wasteland native and...you know, novelty of shooting nukes in Olney and Germantown is extremely cathartic to me. I loved Crackdown and honestly it's a very close second since it's like a mix of Punisher, Incredible Hulk and, Iron Man wherein you jump on roofs and throw people off of said roofs. I absolutely loved that game! GTA 4 was alright but too grounded in reality for me (also movement controls got kind of buggy for me). Skyrim beat out Oblivion but mainly because of Giants and Dragons. Ass Creed one beat out 2 because those are the only two I played and AC2 doesn't let me stab unlimited numbers of people. Just Cause 2 was like this generation's San Andreas only without the stupid tutorials-upon-tutorials.

My top 3 are;

Saint's Row 2
Crackdown
Just Cause 2

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
In that rather poor list, Saints Row 2.

not included that I would have voted:

Minecraft (a litteral sandbox)
Skyrim (Montains and dragons!)
Fallout 3 (a amazing wasteland)
Fallout: New Vegas (a amazing wasteland that is trying to kill you with deathclaws, cazadors...)
Far Cry 3 (yet to play but I've heard good things)

TheTim

Jan 23, 2010
It's a tie between grand theft auto IV for its multiplayer, and ass creed for the single player and story

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
Oh, Fallout 3.
I don't enjoy it nearly as much as I enjoy Assassin's Creed, but there's just something about it that's more... I don't know, lasting.