Poll: Your opinion on interracial relationships?

thevillageidiot13

Sep 9, 2009
I don't really pay attention to skin color when I'm checking out girls. There are attractive girls of every ethnic background.

Longest relationship I've been in, I was dating a white girl (I'm Asian).

notsosavagemessiah

Jul 23, 2009
THE FOLLOWING IS THE HONEST TRUTH, SINCE THEY ASKED THE QUESTION
in all honesty (and i'm sure this is going to get me hated on all kinds) i kind of don't like it when i see a black man with anybody else other then a black woman. I know that sounds racist, but really i have no other qualms with people of any race being with anybody else. I don't hate black people otherwise either. Anybody out there possibly explain this to me? Because it bugs me a lot that i have those kinds of feelings. Also, i agree that it's an acceptable thing to have a black man be with somebody that isn't, i'm ok with it, it just bugs me when i see it.

DSK-

May 13, 2010
It doesn't matter. If two people of different races want to be together, so be it. I have no problem with it. Why should I have?

Gigano

Whose Eyes Are Those Eyes?
Oct 15, 2009
I can see absolutely nothing that could ever with any logic or merit be considered wrong with two people of different pigmentations being in a relationship.

Different cultural backgrounds and all might present some difficulties for such a couple, but if they're willing to deal with that then - like all other relationships between consenting adults - it's nobody else's business.

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
This thread is pointless to me, because obviously, there is nothing wrong with them. And if you think that there is, then you are racist and wrong.

Flishiz

Feb 11, 2009
Uh, having most of my *sentient* life occurring in the 21st century, I'm a bit wondering as to why this is a topic of discussion at all...

The Zango

Resident stoner and Yognaught
Apr 30, 2009
I'm black(ish) and my girlfriend is white.

However I strongly oppose this union! It is unnatural! /joke

Apr 17, 2009
I generally believe that if you want to do something and are capable of doing it, the there should be no reason you shouldn't be able to do it.
It's a kind of equal rights apathy

Sethzard

Megalomaniac
Dec 22, 2007
Country
United Kingdom
If they want to be in one then they are more than welcome to be in one. Live and let live.

MasterOfWorlds

Oct 1, 2010
AkumaFighter said:
I may be speaking out of line, however i will try to explain more of a mindset behind that of those who date within their race.
-for two people to have an intimate relationship that involves several things and as most people learn early on they are shaped of their parents(guardians etc...) in a way as a child you are a sponge to your parents ideals until you meet different people with different ideologies than you. from their you r personality can take form and you use a mix of ideals from family and friends and that becomes YOU. now depending on how you where brought up a typical white male might have more in common with a white female bacause usually their upbringing was similar. as too a white male to an asian female. for this argument the asian female might be daughter of immigrants fresh to that country thus her upbringing would be different.
-people who calmly state that love is all that matters are right and wrong typically if a relationship is without love it is difficult(i will not say impossible because arranged marriages still happen) but having a relationship only based off of love would also be difficult because their are social and cultural differences that as a teenager would not be as apparent. this leads to point three.
-teenage dating or dating in general without the purpose of marriage or companionship just as a soldier is willing to die in battle bother people understand it might fail. but in high school or university teenagers/younge adults are not openminded to the fact that cultural differences might affect relationships, because for the most part people date for fun, or out of a sence of lust.(physical attraction) these reltionship have no foundation thus ultimatly fail but when you take into account that your partner will be with you for your whole life(hopefully) they will have to interact with your family and you theirs thus their must be either openmindedness on both families sides or a real want for those two people to be together than seperates the differences.
-my final point deals with so called racism. as a son of polish immigrants, i have been told my parents way of thinking at times to be socially backwords and racist. now i argue against these claims only because they developed these ways of thinking by looking at culture and they way they saw the world. they were right for the wrong reasons and wrong for the right reasons. in my opinion as relationships mature one might realize that someone with a closer upbringing might be more compatible with you, ho0wever you still need to have the feeling of love for them. my parents would have seen white couples together and saw that as natural, however it makes sense because of similarities in culture rather than based off of race, but in their attempt of describing their ideals come off as what we would say is racist. now what i say might not be always true but this is my way of thinking and it is open to criticism. i am neither for or against nor neither because this question is personal based and for one to answer this individually they must first mature and understand relationships as a whole. to use experience as well as knowledge not using them separately. but thats my rant^^
I actually have an opinion similar to yours. I've taken gen psych as well as personality psych when I was still a psych major and actually understand a bit of where you're coming from there along with personal experience of mine.

My opinion goes something like this: I'm a white guy. I've never really thought about dating anyone other than a white person except once, but it was nothing more than a minor crush on one of my Indian friends. It's not that I actively dislike people that aren't white, it's just that the thought to date them other than that one time has never occured to me.

For a bit more background, I'm from the South, I still live in the South, and I don't really have any intention of moving anywhere that's not the South. Now before people start accusing me of having a Klan membership and being a super conservative Bible thumper, I've had several good friends over the years that weren't white. It's just that I've gotten to know a few women that weren't white and either I was chasing another girl at the time or just wasn't interested in dating at the time. I once dated a Cuban girl, but as most relationships go when you're young, it didn't work out. I don't think it's because she was Cuban, I think it's because she liked my friend better than me.

I'm not against it. I can't say that I would do it. I also can't say that I wouldn't. The thought just really never occured to me except that one time. Now don't get me wrong, I've seen plenty of hot girls from all over the place, but ah...well let's say "dating" wasn't exactly the word that came to mind. XD

MasterOfWorlds

Oct 1, 2010
C95J said:
This thread is pointless to me, because obviously, there is nothing wrong with them. And if you think that there is, then you are racist and wrong.
Flishiz said:
Uh, having most of my *sentient* life occurring in the 21st century, I'm a bit wondering as to why this is a topic of discussion at all...
I started this thread because I was curious what the general opinions would be. I know that some people are really against it for some reason or another. I also know that there are people who exclusively date people from other races. Curiousity is what motivated me to make this thread, not some backward adherence to an obsolete ideology.