Poll: Your opinion on interracial relationships?

xam883

Oct 18, 2010
i personaly dont give a flying coc& about interracial relationships i asumed this was the way
most people thought on this topic well, except in the waaaay deap south

bl4ckh4wk64

Walking Mass Effect Codex
Jun 11, 2010
Senaro said:
bl4ckh4wk64 said:
I'm all for certain interracial marriages, but some of them just freak me out. I personally can't see a Russian with an Asian or an Asian with a black person. It's not that I'm racist, it's just that it kinda grosses me out...
Russians are from Asia.
Fine, oriental person. Meaning of the typical definition one thinks of when someone says Asian. Russians are technically Eurasian because their country spans two continents though.

Jewrean

Jun 27, 2010
Being the cowardly asshole that I am that can never get into a relationship with a girl I blamed it partly (read PARTLY meaning that it was a contributing factor and it does in fact correlate) due to so many 'black' guys taking all the 'white' women. While it is true that this reduces the number of 'white' women for me to date, 'white' guys like myself end up resorting to dating 'asian' girls instead (like I am right now). Admittedly racial relationships isn't really a big deal over here in Australia seeming as the country is mostly 'white' anyway. And who gets screwed out of all this? The 'black' girls and the 'asian' guys. So if you ever see some single Asian dudes and some single Black chicks then hook em up to balance out the statistics yo!

LHZA

Sep 22, 2010
SimuLord said:
This is where subconscious racism rears its ugly head with me.

I was raised in a lily-white town (as in, we had one black-white mixed-race family and a few Chinese folks who mainly ran restaurants. According to the Census Bureau via Wikipedia:

"96.94% White, 0.45% Black or African American, 0.08% Native American, 1.43% Asian, 0.01% Pacific Islander, 0.20% from other races, and 0.90% from two or more races." (2000 census)

And my high school was a hotbed of racism thanks to forced busing (or "school integration", if you prefer.) I was a member of a hate group myself (I got better.)

When you've got that drilled into your head from childhood that interracial relationships are wrong or unnatural or a good excuse to vent some teenage-boy frustration and beat the shit out of a black kid without the principal giving two shits (and I'm from the Northeast!)...

Well, it's gonna lead to certain visceral reactions as an adult. And I just can't get past that drilled-in-childhood revulsion at the sight of an interracial couple (and indeed, it's black guy-white girl that triggers that response in me---if I see a black guy with an Asian or an Asian with a white or any other combination, it doesn't register as unusual with me.)

I'm sorry, I really am. I try very hard to move past that. But if any black people (I won't say "African-Americans" because I'm sure an African in the UK or a Jamaican or...you get the idea...reading this would take offense) want to hate me for that, I honestly don't blame you. And if you've any advice for becoming more accepting, I'm open to it.
You've already done more then most by admitting your prejudice, and admitting the problem lies with you, not others, so that's good. You can try befriending an interracial couple consisting of a black man and a white woman and hopefully with the increased exposure you will come to see them as no different then a couple with the same ethnicity. So long as they are not horrible people (but that will have nothing to do with their race).

maturin

Jul 20, 2010
Senaro said:
If you're restricting me to simply talking about locations, and not actual RACES, then the answer is yes. A person born is Russia is also Asian. Just as a person born in China is Asian, or a person born in India or Japan is Asian.
What? My point was that for the purposes of race, region or continent or origin obviously trumps current location. And you know that a whole lot of Russia is in Europe, and no Russians lived in the Asian parts until 1500 or so?

Danlian

Aug 5, 2009
Bluntly...*I* am not interested in being in an interracial relationship BUT...if that's your thing then by all means go for it! :)

Everyone should be able to seek their own happiness as long as it is a union of two equal individuals. Gender and race should NOT matter as long as both people in the relationship are happy.

The Last Parade

Apr 24, 2009
I'm in one with a chinese girl (I'm Caucasian), however a lot of people often say things at us on the street and everything, both Chinese and Caucasian pedestrians seem to have an issue

Apr 29, 2010
They're just two people in a relationship no more different than one involving two people of the same race. Why should it bother anyone? Granted, I can't speak for everyone when I say that. As for me, I don't see why race would play such a big deciding factor in a relationship.

joshthor

Aug 18, 2009
genetic diversity creates strong offspring. its great. however, im not into black chicks. maybe a nice spanish chick orrrr a half asian. yes sir. that would be fantastic.

edit: ooo look. i hit a thousand at some point.

Skeleton Jelly

Nov 1, 2009
Personally, I kinda give a second look whenever I see a African person with another colored person. Not because I think they should be dating inside their own ethnicity, but just because they have such a huge contrast in skin color to almost every other ethnicity.

I don't think it's wrong or bad, i just go, "Huh, a bit odd. Oh well."

But I still support inter-racial relationships. They love each other, so go at it.
What's to discuss? We're not in the 50s anymore, so I'd think that the general consensus is that they're okay.

DanielDeFig

Oct 22, 2009
People are people, and love is when two personalities find each other and want to explore each other the the fullest extent. So gender or sexuality has no relevance here, and race DEFINITELY doesn't matter at all.

Personally i don't believe in race. We're all humans right? Race is something made up by people who discovered other people who looked and acted different from themselves, yet were still undeniably human. So to dehumanize "the others", we invented "race", because we honestly couldn't think of a better way to explain how "the others" were so fundamentally different from us, yet undeniably human.

fozzy360

I endorse Jurassic Park
Oct 20, 2009
Don't care. Attraction is attraction, and people are people. Whoopty-do.

Tydanubus

Aug 26, 2010
Ldude893 said:
We're all in the same race. The human race.
I agree, although I'd replace "race" with "species."

Race is a social concept. In terms of biology it means very, very little.

Doctor Panda

Apr 17, 2008
I've... actually only ever been with girls of another race. Not because I particularly want to be in one or have any moral positions i feel like supporting. I just like short, dark, thin, pretty girls and I don't know a lot of short, dark, thin, pretty white girls compared to say, asians. Not that I've never been interested in white girls, just never happened to hook up with one.

Race really has never been an issue. I mean, sure I sometimes have to deal with parents' expectations. Or I need to appreciate that the girl wont move out of home until she is married. Or any number of other cultural differences. But in the part of the world I'm from the MAJORITY of people have different cultural assumptions than I will - as the majority of the population are immigrants from a wide range of countries! I just takes a certain... flexibility to be able to go in with no assumptions and play things by ear. It can actually be a hell of a lot of fun. Recently ended a long term relationship with a chinese girl. Shame that didn't work out, but I now know a whole lot more about chinese politics, history, language and cooking than I ever could have otherwise.